2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:
My fun car
By jrhamel on 04/10/08 13:30 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

What a lot of fun to drive. It handles like it's on rails and the mileage, even when driven hard is better than 25 miles per gallon. I hope to own this for several years!

Excellent, but a few gripes
By BobB on 04/03/08 14:13 PM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

No dispute about this being the best handling, most refined & practical under-25k roadster. Mine's a GT, supposedly top-of-the line niceties... not. No fuel/trip computer. The ECU knows how much fuel it's burning. Let me know! No MP3 support in the CD changers (without a $500 upgrade just for MP3 support) Crazy cheap. No external media input, despite looking like it on the stereo faceplate --> devious. Intermittent wipers not adjustable rate, as if there were only 3 settings of rain. On/off seat heaters are off or hot.

What Fun
By HighRPM on 03/25/08 15:31 PM (PDT)

Came from a Toyota Prius getting 45 mpg. I miss that, the climate control, the outside temp. display, and the bluetooth. But I wouldn't trade back! Nothing beats a great handling, manual transmission little car like this for a smiling commute. And, I haven't yet dropped the top!

Great Car Gets Even Better
By Mike on 03/20/08 11:36 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This is my third Miata, and I've had one from each generation. Mazda has taken a great car and made it even better. The car remains lightweight and agile but adds horsepower and more refined ergonomics. I have a wide frame and fit much better in this car than in previous generations. The engine is super smooth, the manual transmission has a short throw and shifts easily, and new alternatives like xenon headlights improve refinement. I had a Porsche Boxster S between my last Miata and this one. After I sold the Porsche I wanted another two seat convertible without spending $50k+. Even though the Porsche is faster and gets better skidpad ratings, the Miata is a better value. Great car

Better then expected
By Tony on 03/06/08 23:56 PM (PST)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Special Edition 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

I came from an Acura TL. Great car but since I have the Miata I don't miss it. Wanted one of these for a long time. Glad I purchased this fine auto. Last convertible I had was when I was 21. I'm 62 now and love it. The Miata is surprisingly quick also was surprised and pleased with the handling, and the ride is very comfortable (this is my main auto so was important), noise with top up or down isn't bad either. Bose radio has great sound quality, can hear clearly with top up or down. Engine and tranny work well together. lLots of inside storage cubby holes. Trunk is small but can fit golf clubs in it with some effort. So far having lots of fun... zoom zoom!

The perfect convertible
By Baz on 03/03/08 21:21 PM (PST)

Great car, needs only two more inches of leg room, not enough to fully extend the arms. Quality is on par with my old Audi and better that the Mercedes 350SLK I recently sold. Good but not great value for money, I bought it for the hard top which is a great compromise. The only issue is the short gearing which might bother some, at 75 MPH, the engine is running at over 3,500 RPM which might be bothersome but I have gotten used to it. Great looking car for reasonable money, the only other car that are this much fun will easily cost an extra 20-30,000 dollar. The 6 speed manual transmission is a bit notchy, it has improved slightly with time, and the gas mileage is quite reasonable.

Toy Car that can be used for everyday
By Dwaine on 11/13/07 08:09 AM (PST)

Test drove all the toy cars and chose this one because of PRHT and trunk space. Quickly discovered that I like to drive it everyday (not original plan) and I can take it almost anywhere due to wealth of usable trunk space compared to other roadsters. This car is not all engine and not rough riding like some others but rather has a great balance of senses. I actually can use my center holders by reaching around right of the cups and it doesn't bother me. Took a 500 mile (roundtrip in one day) road trip and survived the compactness well - I am 74 inches tall. Get 28-30 mpg on 89 octane in combined hwy/city with top up/down as desired and 50 lbs of tools in trunk.

Best of its Breed
By Andrew on 11/09/07 06:39 AM (PST)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

When you purchase this car you must have the understanding that this is a basic roadster. It doesn't pretend to be something else. It's raw, tiny, a little unrefined in some areas but definity fun. It will be hard to come from a complete car such as an Accord or an SUV to go to Miata because somethings just doesn't work right in the Miata. The cupholders in the center are completely useless because they intrude into the elbow space while shifting gears. The grade of plastics is from the 70's and that's not a good thing. And the sound the comes from opening and closing the truck is truly horrible.

A Driver's Car
By Josh on 10/19/07 09:25 AM (PDT)

This is a fantastic car, as long as you're willing to live with limited space. The manual gearbox shifts extremely smoothly, and handles like an extension of your own body. Most importantly, the car is simply fun to drive. It goes out of its way to be a "simple" sports car, not a "dumb" one. Space is limited, but perfectly adequate for two average sized people. The trunk may be small, but is above and beyond any other roadster on the market. The manual transmission makes the center cupholders completely useless, and the side ones are better suited for bottles. Plenty of storage cubbies. If you can deal with the space, and just want to connect with your car, this is a great choice.

2008 MX-5
By Fred Strom on 10/03/07 08:11 AM (PDT)

2008 Mazda MX-5 Miata Convertible Grand Touring 2dr Convertible w/Power Hard Top (2.0L 4cyl 6A)

We love our 2008 Grand Touring PHRT. It is fun to drive, comfortable, feels very solid in build and design. We love having tilt steering and being able to increase the height of the drivers seat. Has much more power than our '97. Love the color of our Copper Red Mica but the seats (tan) don't seem to go with the outside color. Also love the option of using automatic or shifting through the paddles on the steering wheel.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.