2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV 3.7L V6 6-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2012 CX-9 Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Average at best
By kph1983

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Just sold 2012 CX9 after three years (35,000 miles). Decent SUV for price. Pros: Appearance, good performance/handling, interior space. The CX9 looks sporty and handles/accelerates well for a large vehicle. Large interior space with decent room in the third row. Cons: Gas mileage, ride comfort, cabin noise, The CX9 does not get anywhere near the advertised gas mileage. 18.5 combined driving and 21.5 on strictly highway trips. Not a very comfortable ride if you are in the car for longer than 1 hour. Suspension felt stiffer than other large SUVs and could feel all bumps on road. Car had small annoying rattles on both interior/exterior.

My CX-9
By mycx9

2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV Touring 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 6A)

Overall, I love the car- style, handling, features, value. The gas mileage is the same as my last suv, so no surprises there. The interior is beautiful, but dust and dirt do show on the dark leather and mats. A bit surprised by the amount of plastic used on the front exterior and hope it lasts. I like that there are few chrome accents inside limiting glare - something seen in many other cars. There is however, no way to escape the amount of direct sunlight coming in when driving due west. This may have to do with windshield design and shape of the vehicle- a small price to pay for great visability. My family just came from our 1st road trip through the mountains and the car performed great!

Favorite Features

This car is so pretty and well-designed. It looks expensive, but by comparison is not. The leather interior and detailing is rich. The Bose sound system is a fav! Quiet ride with very little road noise. Super smooth ride. Easy to use gadgets and controls-keyless entry and ignition is awesome. Love the rear climate control feature that my kids can access. Very roomy- my 6'+ husband has no problem, even with the sunroof. Great handling and acceleration. Super visablility for me, the primary driver at 5'-2"! Love the side and rear factory tinted windows. This helps keep the car from getting too hot in summer and nobody can see my cargo or kids. Easy access to the 3rd row seating.

Suggested Improvements

Control some of the rattling...I think it's in the headrests. Find a way to protect the driver from incoming sunlight during westward driving. Easy access to 3rd row seating, but the drawback is that the 2nd row won't slide back into prior position without reaching under the seat to release the bar and pushing the seat forward. Not sure how to remedy this.