Used 2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:

OK
By Lexus Fan

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my third Lexus. Es250, Ls400, and now this. Overall the car has been pretty good. Manual has smooth shifting. Gear shift gets a little hot in summer. Radio is adequate. I'm a little envious of the G35 coupe's styling and power. Other than squeeks and rattles....good car. NEEDS MORE POWER OR 6th gear! Maybe convertible?

Favorite Features

Interior design, Escaine seats

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage!, squeeks and rattles, memory seats!, improve the front paint (lots of chips), MORE POWER!!!!!!

Get The IS
By SirFreeze

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I test drove the A4, 330, Maxima, S2000, TT and even waited 6 weeks to test drive the G35. All the above had thier plus/minuses. I thought the IS offered the most complete package of power, styling, handling and value. Great car !!

Favorite Features

Nice styling. I felt the interior and handling is what put the IS ahead of the other cars.

Suggested Improvements

More power !! Car is probably better with a manual (bought the E-Shift so my girlfriend could drive it). More power would be nice.

Better Than People think
By shadowy1

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first Lexus and I'm hooked traded a 95 Volvo 850 turbo. The IS300 rocks, great power, handles like it's on rails. I looked at an Audi S4 and Acura TSX before getting the Lex, and I'm not sorry. People talk about the rear seat being small, SO I don't want a bunch of free loaders riding with me anyway. Just me and my lady riding with the tunes blasting. The dealer didn't look down their noses at you the way those Euro dealers do, bunch of snobs. Anyway back to the point. This car may not be for everyone but it's not your Daddy's Oldsmobile. Lexus may not have hit the bullseye but they came damn close.

Favorite Features

Handling, feel of seats, how it holds your butt in place, fit of parts and finish of the wole package. The Cool Factor that you get driving.

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage, and no memory seat no metal shift ball, on clod morning it's like holding ice. Little more power will never hurt.

Not quite a Lexus
By jpreski

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Overall the car is great with some issues I can't believe Lexus missed like usable storage and room, amenities like memory seat, more adjustable steering, and tire replacement difficulty. I have a BMW and they can get these items right. Great handling doesn't forgive these items since most people don't push the handling to the limit.

Favorite Features

Interior design, rims, stereo, smooth engine.

Suggested Improvements

Cheap finish around interior controls, cig lighter too small to use for cel plug, tires bubble from slightest bump and wear out too quick. Replacement tire impossible to find. Front paint damages too easy.

Fits like a glove
By Julie Gaines

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car hugs the road and fits your body like a glove. It is a lot of fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The only problem I have had is with the factory provided cd player. I had to get it replaced because cd's got jammed in it and would not eject.