Used 2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:

Dont buy
By bulld

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you have about 6k to spend in parts this car is perfect for you, if you dont have that dont get this car, parts are expensive, very hard car to work on. But maybe you get lucky I had alot of bad luck with mine. Also dont try to drive when roads are bad outside.

Favorite Features

Steering

Quarter Million Mile IS
By woodworking101

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Can't believe it's been 11+ years w/my car. I still remember the rush of the test drive. I took an on-ramp aggressively w/the salesman next to me & we both smiled. I couldn't believe I was in a sedan, let alone a Lexus. It was better handling than my old Eclipse Turbo. Better road feel, more grip, similar body roll & much faster turn-in. After a little negotiating, she was mine. I've been a Toyota guy since '88, but even I can't believe how reliable this car's been. Oh, there've been the usual tires, brakes & oil changes along w/one timing belt & one clutch. My odo is @ 248K mi & the only unscheduled maintainence I've done is a set of o2 sensors, ball joints & a fuel pump.

Favorite Features

Engine. It may not be the fastest car in the world, but it offers strong, usable power at any rpm and sounds silky smooth all the time. If you've ever driven an old Jaguar inline six, you'll remember the sound again. Balance. I remember reading that the engineers mass-centralized the vehicle to reduce the moment of inertia. It worked, the car lane changes instantaneously. A great point & shoot city vehicle. Clutch. I've had several Hondas and their clutches may be smooth, but they lack the mechanical feedback of this clutch. Was a little balky at first but after about 20K miles and a changeover to synthetic trans oil, just about perfect.

Suggested Improvements

Unfortunately, the suggested improvements of the masses have already ruined the IS series for me. I've driven both the '06 and '13 redesigns. The IS no longer has the steering feel the gen1 model did, it no longer has the wonderful I6 melody, it's overloaded with tech glitz instead of the simple interior of the original, it's longer, it's heavier, it has much worse sight lines, and most unforgivable of all - no manual transmission. Thank goodness mine still runs like new as i have no idea what I'd get next, probably a BMW w/a very expensive extended warranty.

Loaded 2002 IS300
By rslewis

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had mine since 2012, after I bought it I changed ALL fluids and did the timing belt... haven't looked back. This site doesn't allow you to choose a model that has navigation for 2002 which mine has.. also has full blk leather interior, sunroof, 5 speed manual, LSD rear end, heated seats, power everything. Whoever bought this car initially ordered it from the dealer with all those options b/c I haven't seen one like it in person or online.. I love it. 5 speed is the way to go in this car, but finding one is getting hard, nice city power to get thorough traffic, not the best MPG, but i'm heavy footed and you get the trusty Toyota build quality. Great Car!

Favorite Features

Navigation, leather, LSD, heated seats, sunroof, 5 speed

Suggested Improvements

MPG's, even though I'm heavy on the throttle it should still be able to do better. I've had other cars do better with my same driving style.

Second IS300
By cubsfanct

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan E-Shift 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second IS300. I have owned 63 cars in my life (I am 33 and get bored easily). I have owned 12 BMW's and thought myself to be a lifelong BMW addict. The IS300 changed all that. The styling, the responsiveness and dependability won me over. I have never had an issue with either IS300 I have owned. They are the only cars I have kept longer than three months. My current one I am tastefully modifying. Owning a GS300 in between the IS300's I am now a Lexus (2JZ) convert. All around service all my have-to-haves. Sportiness, Luxury, Speed and Dependable. The IS300 is truly the complete package.

Favorite Features

Styling, Quickness, Dependability

Suggested Improvements

Fold down rear seats would be nice. Other than that no complaints.

Absolutely red :) 5M
By oceanis361

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have to agree on the fun-to-drive factor!! Whew! this car is a blast to drive! Love the orange interior lights at night! Guage package likened to a wrist watch face is an original touch. Shifting is solid quality feel. Love the sound of the engine. Handles like she's' on rails. Just bought a set of 18" rims (all black) with potenza s-04 pole positions, so the ride should be on fire soon. Im' driving a Subaru GT wagon in the winter but my life is changing so I'm selling Suby after 13 yrs of ownership. :( But Looking forward to buying a set of micheling Xi3, dedicated winters, to be mounted on the stock rims. Should handle the snow just fine and be a lot of fun in the drift too!

Favorite Features

Looks /engine sound/interior lights/dash/reliability sound system is fantastic

Suggested Improvements

1.TELESCOPING STEERING WHEEL OR LACK THEREOF. Major drawback. Im' 6'2". Shorter people prolly np at all with the same. 2.GAS mileage is horrible. But on the hwy it's decent so whatever 3. requires premium fuel. Ouch. 4. Smallish front seats, and narrow btw the pillars in the front