Unique model with some minor shortcomings
By jpallen01 on
2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
My wife and I purchased this car 2 weeks ago and we have nearly 1000 miles on it already. We are generally very pleased with it. It has a ton of room in the front and rear seats. It is very quiet, the ride is excellent and the handling is capable. We anticipate the fuel mileage will be in the 40 range when we stop playing with it. Currently we are getting 36MPH in mixed driving. The controls are well thought out but the Lexus Enform and Navigation Tech is taking a little getting use to. I hope they will update the software with some better navigation of the menus. But the Tech is still very cool. The Hybrid system rocks! Changes from motor to battery with hardly a notice! Its a keeper.
Favorite Features
Love the ride Love the quiet cruising Love the fuel economy Really, really love the spaciousness Lexus dealer is great! We traded in our 2006 Acura TSX. That car put a smile on my face every single time I drove it. But the ride was harsh and noisy. I could hardly talk on the bluetooth speakerphone while on the highway. The Lexus is night and day different. i don't have an ear to ear grin any longer when i drive the ES 300H, but I am defiantly amazed with the hybrid system, the tech and the overall ride and comfort of the vehicle.
Suggested Improvements
Technology items, navigation and apps, need some better software improvements. The tires I think need an upgrade- they squeal too easily pulling out onto a main road, and lose traction at times on wet roads. I'm interested to see how they handle the wintery mix of snow and rain we get often in our region.
By einstone
on 11/16/13 00:44 AM (PST)

I have taken my MPG old school way filling up all the way reseting trip A and then filling up again and dividing trip A by the gal. fuel i just put in. it always came pretty close to what computer was predicting. read my review for more info.

By max55fisher
on 05/14/13 08:46 AM (PDT)

I'll be writing a separate revew, but I wanted to add to ralphs42 comment above...I, too, have found the car computer calculated milage to be off by about 7-10%. I calcualte my milage the old fashion way (even going the extra steps to make sure I fill up at the same pump at the same gas station every time). My calculated milage has been hovering at 37 mpg for mixed city/highway driving

By ralphs42
on 05/04/13 09:50 AM (PDT)

I have had two hybrids, Toyota and Lexus, and find the computer mileage overstated by 5-8% in each..... So, when I read the mpg that people are getting I wonder are you taking the computer at face value or are you checking the old fashioned way.... Edmunds needs to look into this problem to see who is calibrating their computers intentionally to keep happy customers?