2004 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:
Love driving it - hate the recent fixes
By Barb on 09/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Original owner. 140,000. Other than the headlight and coolant reservoir issues that ALL 04 Sorentos seem to have, I've replaced the throttle position sensor. Has been reliable and though mostly highway miles, it has never needed brakes (knowing how to drive a stick has helped with that). Doesn't eat tires, and get about 21 mpg. However, PCV and Catalytic Conv. need replacing now. Will be paid off next month and has NO resale value. Will drive it 'til the wheels fall off (fun off road), but hope I can get the parts for my mechanic for the current and upcoming fixes. Almost all must be purchased at the dealer.

Annoying!
By mariebee on 08/26/10 14:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my Sorento brand new in 2004. Did my homework before I purchased it and people seemed to like it - at that time. I've had it for 6 years now and I've had to buy a new battery every year for 5 years because the factory installed CD (which was replaced twice) was using up all the juice. I've had to replace tail lights every year. The last 6 months, I've shelled out over $500 because of coolant reservoir leaks, after I paid off the dang thing.

Disappointed owner
By Tanya DeMyer on 08/06/10 14:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had nothing but problems with the electrical - head/tail lights out every 3-4 months, clock, interior lights, thermometer for outside temp all stopped working. Exterior paint started chipping when the car was only 2 yrs old.

Do not buy!
By soccerella on 08/05/10 17:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I loved my Kia at first. It was a great size..it drove smooth. Then after only 2 months a part broke which was fortunately being recalled. Now not even a year later it overheated and the crank shaft broke. will be 5-7 thousand dollars to fix. Paid cash for the car and now I'm out 6200. Can't even trade it in. If you have these problems tell them to look at the coolant leak before they fix anything else. That's where the major problem comes from. Once it starts overheating it's over. Thanks for nothing Kia.

Great Value, Safe, minor inssues
By sbettencourt21 on 07/27/10 09:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Sorento for almost 2 years now and it has been very reliable I have had a couple problems with sensors which were covered under warranty. I feel I got a great deal on the car and I feel extremely safe in it with my children. Repairs I have had to pay for were very low cost such as lights which have to be replaced on any car. The 4wd works great in the snow on steep hills I have never been happier with a vehicle and there is plenty of leg room for my height. however back seat would be a tight squeeze for 3. We currently only fit 2 car seats

Will never buy Kia again
By shawna on 07/11/10 08:09 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Sorento 2 years ago with 46,000 miles on it, since then we have had nothing but problems. The clock never worked, and the radio never worked. We have brought it in for recall repairs a number of times. Now at 63,000 miles the engine started rattling, the warning lights came on, and it won't steer. It is our family vehicle and we only average 11,000 miles per year.

Poor
By Jeannie Benson on 07/04/10 11:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I am very unhappy with my 2004 Kia Sorento First the water overflow tank went bad, both sides of the front end had to be replaced, multiple sensors. the head lights and tails lights continually go out. We have had to get the air charge the last 3 years and now it doesn't work at all and I still owe 3 months worth. Can't wait to be done with this lemon!

Glad to be rid of it!
By Julie on 06/30/10 07:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I had nothing but problems from the time I bought my Kia brand new. Crack in the drive shaft with less than 300 miles on it a month after I bought it. Constant electrical problems that the dealer couldn't fix: brake lights out every 3 months, headlights out every 6 months. Both headlights blew out at the same time once! $400+ to replace sensors, including throttle and airbag, which warranty had just expired (conveniently). Bad catalytic converter, which went bad 2K miles after warranty expired. This is the WORST purchase of my life. The only reason I didn't get rid of it sooner was because I was STUCK with it: they depreciate too fast you can't trade them in. PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE @ its best!

WARRANTY NEVER HONORED
By Susan on 05/11/10 19:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The vehicle ran great during our test drive, then down hill battle since! We paid cash for the car, over $26K! have spent in excess of $5K that the "warranty" didn't cover...the problems with gas,[do not appreciate the 12 to 15 mpg], the heater or the air conditioner never has worked properly, stalls whenever without warning, all of the mechanics at the "certified" dealerships tell us, "oh, that part[s] is not covered, but you do need another $600.=/- check up!I want a civil action lawsuit brought against these thieves....help me get an attorney to take on the scammers, please. The dealerships and their mechanics are all at fault, the booklet the vehicle came with is extremely misleading!

PIECE OF JUNK KIA!
By Sandy on 05/06/10 08:39 AM (PDT)

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Quality is NONEXISTANT!I am getting rid of this car Has been repaired countless times.Driver side door handle broke off.Pull down handle for trunk broke off. CD player is eatting my cd's.Paint has chipped off of all buttons on radio and A/C controls. Paint has flaked off of the entire roof,tops of the mirrors & along wheel well trim. Shocks/arms that keep the trunk & the back window glass open have failed, so you have to hold them open manually. Car just had 3k worth of work done which included A/C compressor, leaking valves, coolant reservoir replaced.Coolant reservoir just cracked again yesterday.Head&Tail lights burn out every 6 mths.Sunroof leaks.Worst car I've ever owned!