Used 2004 Kia Sorento SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Kia Sorento SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sorento model:

caveat emptor
By mhuntz

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

don't be fooled by the "rating" for this vehicle. most posts prior to 2007 are positive. after that, a precipitous fall off in satisfaction. intoxication from "new car smell', "i love you's" and chocolates (in the form of warranty promises from Kia) subside. after the romance, sobriety sets in. the love in the relationship gets tested. and when the $$$ strain hits the relationship, your lover (Kia) tells you to no longer believe in their commitment to the relationship. ("sorry about misleading you" , they exclaim, as they refuse to honor their vows (warranty coverage). Best get a divorce from this loser. Hope you had a pre-nup.

The ones that still operate.

reimburse the hard-working people you've fraudulently duped.

DONT BUY THIS JUNK!!!!!
By sniper_munkee

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Constant disappointment. I was told it would take over 5000.00 to fix this junker. It's been sitting for over a year since I found that out. Now I don't know what to do and I'm still making payments on it.

Leather seats dvd player

Make it more reliable.

Great car with 239K miles
By Paul

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX Rwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

239,000 Miles and is still going strong. I am still very pleased and had no major mechanical issues. It rides very comfortably and has not developed any annoying squeaks or rattles. The interior has held up as well if not better than my previous Acura and Volvo. Great sound system. Maintenance has been about average and I have replaced the timing belt twice at 80K miles and 160K miles. If you are considering the '04 Sorento be sure that the 2 recalls (crankshaft pulley bolt and the intake manifold butterfly valve) have been done. Replace the coolant tank with the redesigned one. no increase in oil use even with 239K miles. Average about 20- 21 MPG HWY. Better than the 19 listed.

I average about 45,000 miles per year and the ride is very smooth and patronizingly quiet. Not tiring to drive. The styling has held up well, and does not look dated. The engine performance seems well matched to the car. The Audio system (on the EX) is the best I have heard in a production car.

Aux Audio jack.

Never again
By Wyllies

2004 Kia Sorento SUV EX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with 50k miles. I had issues within the first week and Precision made me take it to Kia (warranty) and they said we were good. Then it has been down hill. Headlights go out constantly, 4wheel drive constantly on (when the switch is off) check engine light and airbag light is constantly on. I have put money in this car that I don't have and the last time I took it in there were 6 new recalls within it. I will never by a Kia again. The worst part is the trade in value is not good either. So instead of paying this off and using it I will have to get another vehicle and continue making payments. I am stressed driving this car especially with my kids in it.

It is as easy as a car to park and the speakers in the car are Bose, which makes a great sound.

Recall these vehicles! I have been pulled over many times because of the headlight going out for no reason. Fix the 4x4 issues, anyone that has a 2006 and under should get a giant credit toward the price of the car, so they can get a reliable car. I feel unsafe in this vehicle and that is not fair

Extreme Disappointment
By R. Effingham

2004 Kia Sorento SUV LX 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Reading these reviews is like listening to myself complain about this car. I have paint peeling off the roof & mirros, my sunroof won't close properly, I have rust on the trunk, I've replaced two back lights & one front, currently have coolant leaking so heater won't work, have had a/c recharged & again it's not working, light on radio and clock go out, bent steering shaft, and many other little items. Very disappointed, and if I thought I could get what I owed I'd walk away. But can't imagine anyone would pay what I owe for what's left of the car. After replacing the coolant reservoir my next expense will be to have the rust spots repaired. Fun. fun.

I enjoy the roomy interior, and the height of the vehicle. The handling for the most part is smooth. I enjoy the set up of the radio. But step outside of the car and depression hits when you see the rust. Sad that sunroof-a/c-heater doesn't work.

KIA needs to be a stand up company. See that thousands of owners are having the same problems with the same year vehicle and start recalling. We're honest Americans trying to have a nice vehicle for our families, and KIA is making our lives miserable. Will NEVER own another KIA.