2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Cherokee model:
I Love It
By Yves on 03/17/08 15:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Very good vehicle so far, very tough frame, good for years and very effective in wintertime. Only bad point are electronic gadget but it's a little thing compare to the great quality of the construction

Could be better
By gypsy77 on 02/19/08 13:47 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD in 2007, used with 70k miles on it. I thought I got a deal of a lifetime on the price. I've only had this vehicle for about 8 months. So far, things that have been wrong with it include: Car lost power and wouldn't start back up for about and hour, then it would die again (had to get that fixed $300), brakes are making a grinding noise even though I am told the brake pads are fine, in reverse it makes a weird clunking and vibrating sound, the mechanics say nothing is wrong. The engine light has been on for a month. Feels squirrely on the highway. I can't afford to keep getting things fixed! I also own a 2000 Honda Civic, never have any problems!

Gas Pumps become tourist destinations
By Mechem on 11/22/07 10:52 AM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

First off, we bought this car brand new and drove it to the grave (totaled in an accident). So with that said, I feel now that its gone I can write this. The car ran perfectly to 100k. Never had a single mechanical error other than the AC failing 2 times. Car was fun to drive, could go anywhere. But it was slower than molasses. The V6 just simply didnt move the car. The gas mileage stunk. I averaged 13 city 15 highway. Still though I had a lot of great times in the car, and really nothing much went wrong. If gas ever drops in price I would get another.

I Love This Truck
By taurean468 on 11/14/07 17:02 PM (PST)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck in May at 73,000 and now it has 80,000 6 months later. I have not had any problems with it. The fuel economy on my 4.7 V8 is 13.5 - 14 city and 18 - 22 highway. There are a lot of V6s that do not get that.

No Longer a Jeep Fan
By No longer a Jeep fan on 09/03/07 06:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This purchase was our fourth Jeep. The first three were about perfect, and this Jeep has cured me from ever buying another. The car needed to be painted five times and had to be done by area that failed as opposed to painting the whole car at once. The computers have been unreliable, the radio failed, three of the four window actuators have failed, the condenser and evaporator and vent doors have failed, and it had fuel tank issues. The engine and tranny are good but the rest of the car falls apart around it. Nice comfortable ride but you always know it's never for long. Oh, and the car leaks like a sieve when it rains. I'm headed out to buy an Acura next. Good Heavens!

Very Satisfied!
By Very Satisfied!!! on 08/24/07 23:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My husband and I have been a Jeep family since 1974 and my Dad owned a Willy's Jeep. We had a 1974, 1979, 1995, 1998 and then this 2002. This 2002 Overland has been the best Jeep that we have owned. It has 110,000 miles on it and still going. Sorry, but I have not I liked the Jeep product since the 2002 Jeep. Something happened to the back seat. The seat has shrunk. The back seat just isn't comfortable for the passenger. Too much plastic on the dashboard now and no storage area on the dashboard. I feel sad that I need to pick a different product for my next vehicle. Why ruin a perfect vehicle?

Disappointed
By Roman on 06/28/07 04:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My previous experience with Jeep has always been positive. However, this 'extended warranty' nightmare is turning me off Jeep products. The first few repairs (note: not covered under warranty) seemed trivial enough, but when the regulator went out I started reviewing complaints online. It seems that the little problems I am having are systemic to Jeep owners in this year range. Compaints: ashtray doesn't stay up, parts replaced: hood lifts, gas cap, rotors, starter, window regulator(s), mirror memory doesn't stay, head lights turn on by themself, heated seat temps too far apart: too cool or too hot, differential leaks. Not too happy.

Mystery Repairs
By Southeast Sales on 06/25/07 12:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car with an extended warranty from CarMax back in 2004 and thank goodness we did. Granted we have put a lot of miles on it - right now has 80,000 miles. About 20,000 miles ago I was driving down I-20 in the middle of a major metropolitan city (you can guess which) when the entire panel illuminated (oil light, engine light, gas light etc...), the windows failed to operate and the AC went out. Since that incident the same problem has happened over 10 times and the CarMax mechanics cannot figure out what it is. Now, the engine light is on half the time while no one seems to know why exactly. Transmission is probably going to drop any day now. Will likely sell within the week.

Very strong Jeep
By Brutal on 06/06/07 14:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this August of 2003 with 114,500 on the odometer. Mine is a 4x4 because i have needs with my work where I will be offroad a lot.. I now have 256,830 on my odo. Only brakes once and fuel filters to maximize performance and mileage. I average 5,000 miles a month and drive it hard. Constantly at 4-5500 rpm range. I have tested this proven 4.0 engine. Use 4x4 4-5 times a week. Mud, rocks, sand, deep water, asphalt. I hit a deer on I10 in south texas and it drove away like a champ. Tranny still shifts good and engine starts every time. I know I can get 350k or more.

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Laredo Sport
By jdp on 06/03/07 09:57 AM (PDT)

2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle for my college age son who drove it to school. The transmission went out at 75K miles Recently, he has had problems with the starter (intermittent starting problems). I was hesitant to buy a Chrysler product due to known quality and reliabilty issues but decided to take a chance on Jeep because he liked it. Never again! Once everything is corrected, I will sell the vehicle and buy a Honda.