Last Jeep
By dougf330 on
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)
I have had a number of Jeeps over the years. My first was a '68 Cherokee (like a 2-dr Wagoneer), a CJ-7, an '89 Wagoneer, a '91 small Cherokee, and my last Jeep EVER, a 2001 Grand Cherokee. One of the biggest reasons I will ever buy another Jeep, is because Chrysler has not continued the Jeep tradition established by American Motors. Sure, the fit & finish are a little better, but my 2006 Dodge Durango is more of a Jeep than this Jeep! My first gripe comes with the new four wheel drive systems (Quadtra Track II & Quadra-Drive). Both are AWFUL on ice. California people who climb rocks and traverse the desert may think it's great, but in Minnesota it just doesn't "cut the mustard."
Favorite Features
The best part of this Jeep is the AMC designed inline 6 cylinder engine. An engine that is no longer available.
Suggested Improvements
I've always love the Chrysler Pacifica, which it the platform for the new 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. But it will NEVER be a REAL JEEP until it is offered with a Selec-Track transfer case. There "new" quad system has settings like "ice" and Snow." They insult the intelligence of a real Jeep devotee who would rather see something like "4-Wheel Lock" on the label. Quit trying to be Soccer Mom friendly! If they can't drive a Jeep, sell them a Dodge!
By dougf330
on 12/31/10 12:10 PM (PST)

I agree! Jeep needs to offer the Selec-Trac 4x4 in EVERYTHING and leave those electronic systems to the soccer moms.