Used 2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV - Consumer Reviews

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Hi-N-Low desert runner
By steve citron

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

While I love my car, mine does not have cruise control. Since I live so far away from a metropolitan area, I need to travel a good distance to shop, and to get other services like medical, dental, cleaners, and food. It sometimes is hard to keep my speed down, as it wants to travel at speed, and I do not always want to do that. The speed limit out here in the desert is 65, but sometimes I find the speed creeping up to over 75!! So, I guess you must be vigilant to watch your speed out in the highways. I have had my Jeep for 13 years, and have over 120,000 miles, not ONE major repair, and I am able to do simple service easily like oil change, filters, air and transmission filters, even spark plugs. so my car has been absolutely trouble free. I am on my 3rd set of tires, and just replaced them last summer at over 48,000 miles! My three dogs love riding in it too!
I also own a 2006 Jeep Wrangler, and I wish it were as trouble free.

180000 miles great SUV until it was totalled
By dgh53

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Jeep Cherokee 2001 Sport 4 dr 4x4 was one dependable vehicle. It did need a radiator after like ten years and a new a/c compressor but other than those items it was just great. Really going to miss it. A driver went left of center and totalled it on my wife. The airbags went off, and she did not even get a scratch
my wife, the Jeep not so lucky front left fender , bumper, grill, wheel,suspension all took the hit.
I would buy a new one if they still made them. Door still opened on driver side after the crash.

The ground clearance could not of been any more perfect. The tires were a great size not oversized, but just right for the vehicle and also since they were sixteen inch rims the price to replace the tires was always right around a hundred or less for a good Goodyear or Firestone top line tire. The steering wheel feed back a great feature compared to the new cars today. The brake pedal feels solid not mush like many cars, you knew how much brake you were going to get just with the pedal pressure.

Would of liked to of been able to electonically disengage the front hubs like a Warn hub would of been a great feture on the vehicle. Could of used padded rear seat arm rest the hard plastic rear seat armrests are really unacceptable in a modern vehicle with rear seats .

It was fun and real but not real fun
By prodigy1

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Classic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 2001 jeep cherokee classic 4x4 with 15k miles on it and was pleased with it but in a middle of the road way. It was very reliable and durable but it was a jeep. Every one had one at the time and you couldn't pick kit out in a parking lot. It was loud and rough riding (I know it wasn't made for comfort) but in an kidney bursting way. Don't get me wrong it was a great car that never gave me trouble and was fare offroad but being a car guy I could never really like it enough to the point I loved to drive it or wanted to keep it. When we sold it the family didn't even blink, when we sold the hummer h3 my son cried and kissed it on the fender and said we will miss you lol.

That straight six 4.0. They killed jeep when they stopped making that motor.

Perfect on all counts!
By phiner913

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

When I ran into this car on a lot with 140k on the counter, I had no hesitation. I know several people sitting at well over 300k still driving them daily, and they are not the most maintenance minded people in the world. I bought my jeep as a car to park at the airport every week when I travel for work, but have quickly found myself driving it more than my brand new silverado or my wife's Lexus. With the farmer's almanac predictions for this winter on the east coast I absolutely can't wait to take this billy goat out playing in the snow on the way to go snowboarding.
If you find one regardless of the miles buy it fast, it will last forever and is easy to fix on the rare chance it breaks.

Dream vehicle-Ol' Blue
By cardinalgirl

2001 Jeep Cherokee SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

11 years old and deserves a garage and to take a break from the St. Louis summer heat.
This is the best vehicle I will ever own.
Its only downside is the a/c which is why I bought another car to tag team the seasons.
Since 2001, I have replaced the evap core, compressor and engine thermostat (just to be on the safe side, problem cleared).
I just don't care that I blew the front speakers and time did its thing to the headliner.
The original battery lasted more than 6 years.
The back brakes are original at 73k.
Nothing is better than driving this car in any situation, any terrain.
I haven't shoveled snow in my driveway for 11 yrs.
Independence and laziness at its finest.

All of it.