Used 2012 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Sonata

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:

2012 Sonata Limited Turbo with Nav (Excellent Value)
By zoomzoom27

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited PZEV 4dr Sedan w/Wine Interior (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car used about six months ago, and I must say it feels and drives like a much more expensive car then the one I paid for. I have owned BMWs, Nissans and Toyotas in the past and I feel this is a better car. The turbo 4 cylinder engine really does feel like a V6, I have a V6 Toyota Venza and I know what I am talking about. This thing Just takes off without any fuss, granted the engine only had 16K miles when I bought this car. Anyone planning on buying turbo model, keep in mind, this car requires 91 octane or higher, and synthetic oil changes, which is little more mony, but it will keep your car working for years to come. This is my 1st hyundai product and it gets 5 from me.

Favorite Features

Turbo engine, nav, backup cam, mpg.

Suggested Improvements

none...

Very disappointing!
By nattygirl

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the Sonata for its snazzy looks, technology and the promise of good gas mileage. Other than its looks, it's been a disappointment. The ride is bad - I feel every bump in the road. The gas mileage is not what was promised. I'm only getting an average of 22-23 mpg. overall. And, its performance in snow was so poor the first winter I had it that I ditched all 4 tires and bought new ones with the promise of improvement. The 2nd year wasn't much better. Granted, there was alot of snow in Rhode Island this year, but - hey - it performed way worse than my old 1999 Camry in snow! Uncharacteristically, I will probably be unloading it way sooner than usual or as planned.

Favorite Features

The sound system (speakers, ipod connection, bluetooth for streaming, phone/bluetooth) is great. It's also very comfortable. The controls are well-organized. There is plenty of storage space, the trunk is very ample and seating is just right.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is not as advertised, a better suspension system is needed and the car needs to be re-weighted to perform better in snow.

My story
By alliecat3

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Sonata for almost four years now, with a little over 33,000 mileage. After 8 months of having it, I needed a new transmission. Now I need a new engine. I feel like I ended up with a lemon. No one wants to hear it and service tries to shift the blame to me some how. I have all my invoices of oil changes, brakes, etc. So I have done my part. I loved my car. When you buy something new you want the new engine, the new transmission and so on. You are paying for that. As in anything there can be a circumstance where this vehicle was not assembled correctly. But no one will own up to it. I dread thinking of what will be next.

Great Car with Some Flaws
By bobs66440

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

With almost 63,000 miles, I'm really very happy overall with the car. The only real issues are: 1) A problem with the cloth upholstery. It started to show signs of wear only a few months after purchase. It now looks like a 20 year old car seat. The dealer took photos and sent them on to Hyundai to see what they can do. 2) Since day one, the highway stability has been a little sketchy. It's ok until you are around other vehicles when the wind buffeting can move the car around. I'm used to it now but at first it was unsettling. 3) The fuel pump went bad at 62,000 miles which I thought was premature. But the dealer took care of it under warranty, no problem.

Favorite Features

Great power for a 4 cylinder. Blue tooth. USB port. Light steering feel. Very comfortable seating position. Heat comes up very quickly on cold days.

Suggested Improvements

1) Better quality seat fabric. 2) The blue backlight on the radio makes it very hard to read at night. 2) Horrendous blind spot caused by the huge A-pillars. This is potentially dangerous in my opinion. I've pulled into parking lots and entire cars or pedestrians were completely obscured. I understand why they are so beefy, but at what cost? 3) Brake pedal travel seems excessively long to me before the brakes grab. The dealer says it's normal but I don't like it.

Bad Oil Pump - Very Poor Service!
By nukem90

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Per the Hyundai dealer in Dalton, GA the reason for our oil pressure light on was a bad oil pump that scored the main bearings on the crankshaft. The process to get to replacing the engine was a 2 out of 10 on the service meter! Between the dealer, Hyundai USA, and the 3rd party warranty company, Fidelity, I am extremely disappointed. The ownership level by Hyundai was very poor. They passed the process of correcting the issue to Fidelity who was a 1 out 10 on the service level! It is disappointing that a car that I like with a significant quality issue was handled the way it was. This is my first and last Hyundai. Nissan, Toyota, Honda - here I come!

Favorite Features

Exterior Styling, ride, leg room, trunk space.

Suggested Improvements

How Hyundai provides service on their vehicles with significant quality issues. Individual part quality.