2012 Hyundai Sonata Consumer Reviews

2012 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Very disappointing!
By nattygirl on 03/10/15 19:24 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought the Sonata for its snazzy looks, technology and the promise of good gas mileage. Other than its looks, it's been a disappointment. The ride is bad - I feel every bump in the road. The gas mileage is not what was promised. I'm only getting an average of 22-23 mpg. overall. And, its performance in snow was so poor the first winter I had it that I ditched all 4 tires and bought new ones with the promise of improvement. The 2nd year wasn't much better. Granted, there was alot of snow in Rhode Island this year, but - hey - it performed way worse than my old 1999 Camry in snow! Uncharacteristically, I will probably be unloading it way sooner than usual or as planned.

My story
By alliecat3 on 02/08/15 22:47 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had my Sonata for almost four years now, with a little over 33,000 mileage. After 8 months of having it, I needed a new transmission. Now I need a new engine. I feel like I ended up with a lemon. No one wants to hear it and service tries to shift the blame to me some how. I have all my invoices of oil changes, brakes, etc. So I have done my part. I loved my car. When you buy something new you want the new engine, the new transmission and so on. You are paying for that. As in anything there can be a circumstance where this vehicle was not assembled correctly. But no one will own up to it. I dread thinking of what will be next.

Great Car with Some Flaws
By bobs66440 on 02/08/15 05:36 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

With almost 63,000 miles, I'm really very happy overall with the car. The only real issues are: 1) A problem with the cloth upholstery. It started to show signs of wear only a few months after purchase. It now looks like a 20 year old car seat. The dealer took photos and sent them on to Hyundai to see what they can do. 2) Since day one, the highway stability has been a little sketchy. It's ok until you are around other vehicles when the wind buffeting can move the car around. I'm used to it now but at first it was unsettling. 3) The fuel pump went bad at 62,000 miles which I thought was premature. But the dealer took care of it under warranty, no problem.

Bad Oil Pump - Very Poor Service!
By nukem90 on 01/07/15 19:52 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6M)

Per the Hyundai dealer in Dalton, GA the reason for our oil pressure light on was a bad oil pump that scored the main bearings on the crankshaft. The process to get to replacing the engine was a 2 out of 10 on the service meter! Between the dealer, Hyundai USA, and the 3rd party warranty company, Fidelity, I am extremely disappointed. The ownership level by Hyundai was very poor. They passed the process of correcting the issue to Fidelity who was a 1 out 10 on the service level! It is disappointing that a car that I like with a significant quality issue was handled the way it was. This is my first and last Hyundai. Nissan, Toyota, Honda - here I come!

“Solid mid-size contender for commuting”
By gregg2707 on 12/31/14 11:21 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

If you want to buy a good car for daily commuting, you can’t do much better than this Sonata. Reliable, fuel efficient and pretty cheap to operate makes this an easy choice. We bought this car new in 2012 and currently have just over 62000 miles on it. This is the base GLS with only 3 options - most if not all of the important features you need are standard. I'd recommend this Sonata to anyone needing a good, reliable, commuter car. Build quality is excellent and has been a very reliable, inexpensive car to operate. Only one warranty repair has been needed in 62000 miles and that was for a faulty cruise control switch which was repaired under warranty.

Engine failed 72K, no help from Hyundai
By wv_mazda on 10/05/14 03:42 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

The lower end of my 2.4 L Sonata failed at 72500 miles under normal driving conditiuons. It has had an oil change every 5000 miles. Because I am not the original owner, the warranty did not apply. The dealer was very nice and sold me a used engine at full price. Hyundai USA declined to help me in any way. No care should have this type of engine failure at this mileage unless completely neglected.

Good Experience
By billylyons99 on 09/15/14 10:12 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

60K miles in and no major problems so far with my Sonata. Overall it has been a reliable car and plenty fun to drive. I have had no mechanical issues whatsoever. The only items I have had to replace are the pads and rotors (at 60k), everything else is doing just fine.

love / hate relationship
By tonysi on 03/03/14 07:53 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My first non honda product in many years. Love the features, performance, mileage and style. What i hate are the problems, waste gate issue after 1000 miles, spider webs in the turbo, waste gate reprogram again and finally at 50k the engine light on again and a fuel pump replacement. While all were under warranty there were no loaner cars offered by my dealer. Its like my Corvette, great car when its running right !

2012 Limited 2.0T
By sandstorm05 on 02/24/14 12:46 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

All in all I must say I'm impressed with my Sonata. I've had one issue thus far, problem with the waste gate being out of spec. Evidently there is a Technical Bulletin out regarding it. I have the black on grey leather. Very appealing look, plenty of power, and on long rides it can average 35-38 mpg on the highway. I run 5w40 Amsoil and premium gas.

Over 2 years with Sonata 2012 Limited 2.4L with navigation, Hankook-Tire H431 215/55/17 V - 28,000 miles
By dave436 on 08/12/13 07:39 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I might be wrong / you have different situation but I'd like to help someone who are suffering from the issues as the same as mine. 1. Creaking noise from rear suspension - fixed by dealer 2. Pulling issue & tire noise at high speed - dealer's answer : no problem - My solution : Adjust wheel alignment & Changed tires to Michelin MXV4 94H(94V recommend) - It works great. 3. Hands free button malfunction (sometimes) - replaced by dealer 4. Cruise control "SET"/"Cancel" malfunction (50% failure) - dealer's answer : no problem - waiting for 100% failure. 5. Weird noise from engine. - Using Octane 91 / 93 Gas. Now I'm feeling more comfortable after spending money & time.