2012 Hyundai Sonata - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sonata model:
Good Experience
By billylyons99 on 09/15/14 10:12 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

60K miles in and no major problems so far with my Sonata. Overall it has been a reliable car and plenty fun to drive. I have had no mechanical issues whatsoever. The only items I have had to replace are the pads and rotors (at 60k), everything else is doing just fine.

love / hate relationship
By tonysi on 03/03/14 07:53 AM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

My first non honda product in many years. Love the features, performance, mileage and style. What i hate are the problems, waste gate issue after 1000 miles, spider webs in the turbo, waste gate reprogram again and finally at 50k the engine light on again and a fuel pump replacement. While all were under warranty there were no loaner cars offered by my dealer. Its like my Corvette, great car when its running right !

2012 Limited 2.0T
By sandstorm05 on 02/24/14 12:46 PM (PST)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

All in all I must say I'm impressed with my Sonata. I've had one issue thus far, problem with the waste gate being out of spec. Evidently there is a Technical Bulletin out regarding it. I have the black on grey leather. Very appealing look, plenty of power, and on long rides it can average 35-38 mpg on the highway. I run 5w40 Amsoil and premium gas.

Over 2 years with Sonata 2012 Limited 2.4L with navigation, Hankook-Tire H431 215/55/17 V - 28,000 miles
By dave436 on 08/12/13 07:39 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I might be wrong / you have different situation but I'd like to help someone who are suffering from the issues as the same as mine. 1. Creaking noise from rear suspension - fixed by dealer 2. Pulling issue & tire noise at high speed - dealer's answer : no problem - My solution : Adjust wheel alignment & Changed tires to Michelin MXV4 94H(94V recommend) - It works great. 3. Hands free button malfunction (sometimes) - replaced by dealer 4. Cruise control "SET"/"Cancel" malfunction (50% failure) - dealer's answer : no problem - waiting for 100% failure. 5. Weird noise from engine. - Using Octane 91 / 93 Gas. Now I'm feeling more comfortable after spending money & time.

Great car. Great Value
By wwhite1036 on 08/01/13 07:21 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

great car. i choose the hyundai after driving the 12 altima and 12 accord. Hands down winner.

My Sweet New Ride!
By n_g_ on 06/18/13 20:26 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased my SE CPO w/ 9400 miles, Nav/Sunroof package, wind deflector, spoiler & full leather. It has the silver /blue pearl paint w/ black interior. The car looks amazing! Rides great, love how it handles. I've had it one month and have driven nearly 2000 miles already and haven't had any issues at all. The car came with this Blue Link thing that let's me remotely control the car(start/doors/lights/horn), gives monthly diagnostic reports and can even slow the car down to a complete stop if I reported stolen and then the GPS will tell me where it is. Cool or what. Since it's CPO I get the 5yr/60k full warranty, the 10yr/100k power-train warranty and 10yr/unlimited roadside assistance :)

No Such Thing As A Perfect Vehicle, But ...
By jewopaho on 06/09/13 07:07 AM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

... this one really comes close. My preference is mid-sized cars with high-end trim levels ... Camry XLE, Accord EX-L, etc. This is my first Sonata Limited, but not my last. It compares very favorably with its Nissan, Toyota and Honda counterparts ... they're all great vehicles, and given that I don't buy new cars, availability is limited. This one is exactly what I'd have purchased new ... and with only 11k miles (and at $10k less), it's close enough! The ride is smooth, power (both cruising and takeoff) is more than adequate, gas mileage (overall about 26 mpg) is fine, and the creature comforts far exceed the competition. Hyundai is now a major player in the mid-size market!

Overall
By gefforts on 05/22/13 20:55 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

We all have our opinions of our own Sonata's, for myself even after an accident, which I had Hyundai fix completely because I wanted no issues and it was major damage. I have no problems at all in a yr and one month of owning the car. My own issue and an issue, major for some and minor for many is the map update for the Nav. system. They completely lied or didn't know that you had to pay 200 plus dollars each year IF you wanted the update. Many people don't care/have bigger issues with the car or do pony up. To me it's the principal. [non-permissible content removed].

My first hyundai
By sonata20t on 04/22/13 14:39 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The car is excellent for the value. Hyundai put a lot into this car regarding quality. I purchased the car new with all maintenance included. I have owned the car for 1 year so far. No issues. Important: You have to do the maintenance on this car or it will not drive like it is supposed to. Also, the car has a GDI engine. Please read up on the engine. I bought a turbo because the engine runs better with it. I have seen mileage fluctuations but it was related to gas and oil. You have to put premium in once a month. Chevron with Techron is best. It does require injector cleaner once every 2 months to keep up the MPG. Buy the maintenance with the car!!!!!!!!

2012 Hyundai Sonata Battery Problems
By slpinnv on 04/08/13 18:39 PM (PDT)

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Car is a good value over all but I've had several issues with the battery going dead. Hyundai has replaced it twice since I bought it. They do not seem to understand why its constantly going dead perhaps it Henderson Hyundai service not looking to closely. Not sure why myself but it is frustrating to go for the weekend on a trip and come home to a dead battery. On board bluetooth sound is horrible and I quit using it all together Bluelink needs better navigation tools. Doesn't seem to provide accurate addresses even after speaking it several times.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Hyundai Sonata in VA is:

$141 per month*