2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

GLS 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (77 reviews )
I will buy another Hyundai
By JustinBuffaloNY on 11/15/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I love the car! I have put 65,000 miles on the car in 2 1/2 years with no problems! The only thing that I had to replace were the tires. I had the car in a 60mph accident on icy roads head on with a suv and thanks to the cinstruction of the car my wife and I walked away with out a scrach.

2000 Elantra keeps on goin'
By car lover 9000 on 10/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I really like this car. It is cute, affordable and very reliable. I like this body style (2000) better than that of the newer version. Also, this body style has a better safety rating than the newer 2001 to 2003s. It has a lot of pep for a 4-cylinder but I find myself pining for a v-6. After three years and 38,000mi, I have had no major problems with either transmission or power features on this car. The exterior is strangely resistent to hail, but not to shopping carts and two door sports cars. Sadly, the suspension and body are loosening up so it opens the cab to a lot of road noise.

Burned once, not twice
By Tom Craine on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I purchased a used Excell in 93 and cursed the Hyundai name. Was curious when they brought out the new warranty and thought I would give it a try. Have been extremely pleased. Had a problem with a total loss of electrical power but after a new alternator and battery (covered)I'm running fine. $12,150 never got me so far!

I Love My Elantra!
By taurus38 on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

My Elantra is one of the best cars I've ever owned. Bought it for the price, warranty, looks, economy. I've had it for just over 3 years and have 75K miles on it. The only problem I've had is with the transmission getting stuck in 2nd gear twice so far. Otherwise, it runs great, gets good gas mileage and is very dependable. I'm planning on buying a new Elantra this weekend if I can get another good deal!

Excellent Car!
By Happy Elantra Owner on 08/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for just over 3 years (bought in July 200) and have had no problems at all. There are a few quirks. The location of the cup holders is annoying, as is the fact that if you open the passenger door, there is no way to open any other locks. That said, I really enjoy driving my car. I find it more comfortable and MUCH faster than my wifes 98 Altima SE. However, while the Elantra is smaller and has a smaller engine than the Altima, the Altima gets the same or slightly better gas mileage. Go figure. Overall I say that Hyundai has built a great car, especially if you consider the cost.

Overall a VERY pleasant surprise!
By gwydionoak on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I have been very pleasantly surprised with my Hyundai Elantra. For a small, economy car it is sensibly designed, roomier and more comfortable (by far) than any other car in it's class that I test drove. It has very peppy acceleration for it's size (a good size engine, but of course you sacrifice some fuel economy) and handles very well. It is also very quiet for a small car and has great visibility. Combine that with a killer warranty (I've still got two year's worth of bumper to bumper) and what more can I say? The only negative I've discovered about my car is that the power door locks are really weird, and more than a little annoying. But overall I am very pleasantly surprised by this car!

My Hyundai
By Dave305 on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Has horrible resale value afyet only 3 years old. Service department is horrible also and VERY expensive for maintenance at my service department. Would not buy another Hyundai again.

Loved it, but worried now
By cirrus on 06/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

This was my 1st new car. I loved it. I never had a single problem until I had the 30000 mile service done. 2 days later the transmission starting sticking in 2nd. They replaced an automatic device that had burned out, I had it back in 2 hours but it still makes a noise or hesitates about once every 3 days, and is in the shop again. Im really upset about this because I love this car, there isnt another one I want. I think the newer Elantras are ugly. Mine came w/michelin tires & they are still good at 30000 miles. This car has great pick up but mpg is average. I get lower 20s city/30 highway. I drive my moms toyota camry often & I much prefer my elantra!

112,000 Miles and Counting
By ggrigg on 06/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in Nov. of 1999, lured by the low price and warrenty. My experience with cars in the past have been horrible, and I was hoping for a bit of luck this time. Turns out that I found it. I have averaged about 32,000 per year on the car, and I have not experienced any major problems to date. I was sorley afraid that all of the major components would break down as soon as I hit 100,000 miles, but it has not happened yet. If all of the cars built for this year perform as mine has, I would recommend it to anyone.

Fun to drive, great value, very reliable
By proaudiorep on 06/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan

Bought in May 2000, paid off last month. I looked at Civic, Corolla and some other competitors; there was no real competition for this car at it's price. Amazing car for the money!