Used 2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon - Consumer Reviews

GLS 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (32 reviews )

Review of our Hyundia Elantra Wagon.
By Ralph Jones

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

Has been an excellent vehicle for us. We spent two summers traveling, 8500 and 11500 miles respectively. Very, very comfortable for it's size. Gas mileage is generally in the 28-33 mpg range. As a spunky engine which if pushed on starts will drop mpg to 25. Have run Mobil 1 which has kept wear to a minimum apparently, since doesn't require addl. oil between 3500-4000 changes. No maintence beyond standard belts, transmission oil changes every 30,000, tires and battery change.

We like the cargo space available in the wagon with the seats folded down since we travel a lot. Also, the comfort is great, especiall for a small-medium sized car.

I wish they still made this wagon. It would be even greater if it had the Hybrid like the Toyota Prius.

my review Hyundai
By mark

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

good overall car for the money

steering wheel is tight

Make sound improvements for the interior..i.e. the pavement/road is heard while travelling quite considerably.

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon
By robert j. Esposito

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

My Hyundai is very reliablity. It has not given me any trouble in 5 years. For the price I paid ( $12,400.00 )and the miles I have driven ( 90,000 ) I think I made a very good deal.

Gas mileage and quaity build.

none

Like my Hyundai Wagon
By Dave52

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

After 4-1/2 years and 116000 miles, I still like it. It does everything, and has been incredibly reliable. I do my own work, other than the timing belt changes. I use synthetic oil at 6000 mile intervals, and have gone thru two sets of tires, but no brakes yet nor exhaust. Mileage averages 31-33 for normal commuting, I got down to 24, but that was towing a thousand pound camper, car fully loaded, with A/C on, doing 75 mph. I expect to own this until it dies, so I don't care about resale. Usual gripes about cupholders, lightweight plastic in the door panels. Roof rack is rugged, no problem with canoes or ladders or furniture.

Peppy little car, easy maintenance access, rugged roof rack.

Positioning and size of front cupholders, stiffer suspension, less curvature on the rear glass (replacement blades don't clean the rear window), make it easier to remove the back seat entirely.

Great little wagon
By jslthetsl

2000 Hyundai Elantra Wagon GLS 4dr Wagon

This car has been a pleasure to own. Bought it new in winter of 99 and have minimal problems (2) First had the speedometer go bad (under warranty) and second, had a front wheel bearing replaced at 72k (under warranty). This little wagon can haul just about anything. Have hauled tons of stuff from the garden center, hot water heater, dining room set, and a refrigerator! It is comfortable on a trip and gets anywhere from 33 to 38 mpg. Got 42k out of the factory tires and the second set seems to be wearing even better. Besides two warranty repairs, just the usual wear items of tires, brakes and tune-up.

Like the power windows and door locks. Radio is good, has scan feature (have read some posts that state theirs didn't have it), seats are comfortable (I'm 6'4"), warranty is unbeatable and you get no hassle from the dealer when trying to use it.

Tailgate window is curved making the rear wiper useless. Please bring the wagon back! Not everyone wants to own an SUV.

• SUV