2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Accent model:
Wonderful car!
By margarets_dad on 06/10/13 09:39 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car used with 42,500 miles, and have put on another 5,000. This is a fantastic car for the city--very durable and fits into the parking spaces that are too small for everyone else. The car drives very nicely, and has a substantial feel for its size. Its handling is excellent, and although it doesn't have a huge amount of power (how much do you really need anyway, unless you're in the Indy 500?), the engine is very peppy with the manual transmission and it has more than enough oomph for day-to-day driving. Depreciation on Hyundais is still pretty bad (undeservedly so), which is bad for the original owner, but great if you want to get a high-quality used car at a great price.

Amazing car
By highmiles9 on 12/29/12 09:37 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 3 years now and 170,000kms. Its been great. I tow a trailer with it and it will tow a small trailers with ease. I have done nothing to this car over the time ownership. I have done two sway bar links. 2 ignition coils under warranty. One blower motor, and anti theft module, connector and ignition antenna ring. Other then that just maintenance i haven't even worn through the brakes yet. This car is fun to drive with the factory 16" wheels it takes a corner fast. I'm tall and this car fits me well and gets great gas millage. This car was almost half the price of Japanese competitor but wayyy better.

Tire Problems Hyundai Accent SE 2009
By farahk on 05/15/12 11:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Hyundai Accent since 2009 August. I have been comepleting regular checkups at the dealership and the car has been performing well. I have driven for 5 years prior to buying this car. Other cars I have driven include the Toyota Corolla, Nissan Sentra and Kia Spectra. Obviously those are bigger sedans than the Accent. I have a clean driving record as well. One issue I have found is braking in poor weather conditions. Expecially when there is a layer of snow on the ground, the car tends to slip (compared to the other cars I have driven). The main conern I have had was the tires. I have had 3 bursted tires since I have bought this car. con't...

Great Car
By whitetree on 05/01/12 16:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Overal the 2009 Hyundai Accent has been a great car. For three years and 55,000 miles I have not had a single problem with it. The engine lay out is simple and easy to access for regular maintenance and inspection. The only things I don't like are poor visability and poor performance.

not one problem @ 30,000 miles
By sssannndmannn on 02/20/11 12:24 PM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

We chose this car over the Kia Soul (headrests were too far forward, pushing on our heads) and the Honda Fit (too small inside, too few features for too much money). The bad: no glove box light; no temp gauge; too little storage; only 28 MPG (my '89 Integra got 33 on my exact same daily commute); driver's center armrest is too low; and the steering is too sensitive when you're just going straight. The good: best sound system and best cupholders I've ever used in a car, very comfortable, and not one problem yet at 30,000 miles. I change the oil myself and the attention to detail and quality is everywhere, even under the car. All around one of the best small cars, but still miss my Integra.

Poor Gas mileage No overdrive
By chriskaline on 12/02/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Overall this car has been awesome! The only problem is:gas mileage not fitting this car, 25 to 27 overall is not very good, no overdrive, it is simply a fifth gear. At 70 mph it turns appox. 3500 rpm, that is not good and certainly effects gas mileage.

Problems
By Patricia A. Ellis on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Elimination of the rear wiper and the addition of the rear spoiler make it impossible to see out the rear window when it is raining or snowing when you are driving. This is a significant safety issue. Why include XM Radio when OnStar would make more sense? The rear spoiler is noisy, particularly when the wind is blowing. Tire wear continues to be a problem. I have had difficulty with tire wear on all of the Hyundai vehicles I have owned. I have been disappointed in the gas mileage. I got better mileage with my Elantra. The small size of the gas tank is also a disappointment.

Most impressed for a truck guy
By agnmah on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Handling was awesome. Was worried about highway but performed great. Daughter going to college next august and have no problems passing car on to her.

Spiritual Successor to the EK Civic
By Bobj on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback SE 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Ignore the 07 consumer reviews from the "sport compact mafia". Amazing how hostile people are to Hyundai. Car is a blast to drive. only 2500lbs, short-ratio tranny, and 110HP makes it pretty fast. Add synthetic oil/filter, NGK's, Grounding Kit, and the AEM short ram (none will affect warranty), and you easily have a sub-8 sec 0-60 (R&T got mid-8 sec range out of the factory). Thing drives like it's on rails, shifter/driverside-armrest combo borders on perfection. Interior looks spartan, but "just right" with upscale touches.

Perfect car
By fred on 08/25/10 10:34 AM (PDT)

2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback GS 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

I traded in a 2005 Accent (that I bought new also) on this car a year ago. This car is even better than the 2005 was. Solid quality in and out, superb warranty, fun to drive, economical, and sharp-looking. I love the hatchback. My wife and I just returned from a 4000 mile vacation with no problems. For the trip, I removed the rear seats to make even more cargo room! Fantastic automobile that handles very well.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Hyundai Accent Hatchback in VA is:

$132 per month*