Used 2005 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Great Little Car
By Carl

2005 Honda Civic LX Special Edition 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought an 05 SE LX with 5spd. Got 40 mpg on trip from VA to NJ with air on, and pushing each gear out of each tollbooth. Looking at 41-42 after car is broken in. Now have 500 miles on it. Handles great local and on highway. Has some wind noise at highway speeds and road noise on grooved road. And I fit well for a 6'2", 235lber.

Handling, gas mileage, just a fun car to drive, leather wrapped steering wheel feels so good

4 wheel ABS disc brakes, better sound insulation at highway speeds, sound controls on steering columm, more horsepower

An amazing car at an amazing price!
By Chris H

2005 Honda Civic Value Package 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I owned a Ford Escort before buying my Civic Value Package in July of 2005. The car was brand new when I purchased it and I knew right away this was the car for me. I love the solid feel and the generous performance I get from this car. I usually get just under 300 miles per fill-up in town and about 350 if all the driving in interstate. I would HIGHLY recommend this vehicle to anyone looking to buy a reliable and cost effecient vehicle.

Solid construction. Great base stereo for the Value Package (CD/FM with 4 very good sounding speakers) with easy to navigate controls. Very little outside noise compared to my 99 Escort. Instrument panel very easy to read and accurate.

Seats can get uncomfortable as they are almost too solid in feel. The performance of the Value Package and lower models of the Civic can be a bit lacking but not horrible (better than my Escort). Engine can seem loud on hard acceleration. Stereo controls slightly out of reach for me (Im 6" tall).

Fun Plus Economy
By Bob

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid 5M)

This car does get the advertised economy. We have averaged 46.7 MPG for 21k miles. Trips often are 50+. The car is comfortable, agile, and peppy, assuming you are in the right gear. Manual shifts well, clutch is great. Instruments are clear and the MPG bars give you something extra to watch in boring traffic. I have only two complaints. First the back seat won't fold down. Second, they should have a hatchback version for versitility plus economy. All in all, a great car.

Definitely the engine. Great clutch and transmission. I enjoy the manual transmission. Being able to select the right gear helps with the small engine.

They need a hatchback version and one in which the rear seats fold down.

Rethinking My Purchase
By Nate

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle September, 2005. I considered buying the 2005 Nissan Sentra but got a better deal with the Civic. I traded in a 1998 Civic which to me is a better vehicle performance wise than the 2005 model. There is considerable drain on the engine when accelerating to highway speed. The air conditioner is less than desirable on extreme hot days. Braking is poor. Someone missed the mark when they said gas milage is 38/29. I get approximately 31/23. It might be a Honda, but this is a low budget automobile and you get what you pay for.

Style and color. Getting away from the sloping radio antenna and having it placed in the rear window was a good ideal. The large tires looks good.

The engine needs more power. Test driving the 05 Nissan Sentra which is comparable with the Civic showed that the Sentra is heads above the Civic in engine performance. The Civic could use more sound proofing at highway speeds. It wouldn't hurt to have an upgraded air conditioner.

My First Car
By angie

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This truly is an amazing car. I love it! It's fun, smooth, and I love my purple lights in my dash! Just beautiful.

My purple lights in my dash board was my favorite feature. I don't know of any car besides the Jetta that had that - and these colors put them to shame! I loved the roomy trunk I had as well, it was huge!