Used 2005 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews - 400 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Honda Civic - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

Learning to Love My EX
By mustache

2005 Honda Civic EX 4dr Sedan w/Front Side Airbags (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Just got my new 2005 EX sedan this weekend. Had to get rid of my gas guzzler as I drive 45 miles to work. I like the car so far. Road noise is a bit excessive. But the car is tight and fun to drive. Build quality is great as I have not found a single defect. I need to drive this car about 200K miles to get my money out of it. So it better last! I live on a dirt road so we will see if it holds up.

Fuel mileage, moonroof, safety features, ride and tight handling. It has a quality feel to it.

More horsepower. Pricing programs like Saturn has. 4 wheel disc breaks. How about a light in the glove box? Better cup holders for my "Big Gulp".

Somewhat disappointing
By disaptd8

2005 Honda Civic LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased new 05 Civic LX. Exterior is fine, looks good, drives good, the tranny is smooth, (a little slow) but smooth. Good braking, solid little car. Decent room for a small car, interior layout, nice, good seats. But, the interior pops like a bowl of Rice Krispies and it's very, VERY annoying. Test drove Corolla, did same thing on test drive and I didn't purchase because of the popping. (Civic didn't do this on test drive) Had 02 Camry did same thing. Looks like Japan is going the way of GM with the rattling interior. Why can't auto makers make vehicles that don't snap, crackle & pop when you drive? Honda gets a "D" for the interior build of this Civic. Thank goodness for a good stereo!

Dash lay out, smooth tranny, nice ride for small car.

Fix the popping, snapping, sticky noises and you'll have the perfect small car.

Honda Civic LXSE
By Brioninn

2005 Honda Civic LX Special Edition 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my Accord for this. And enjoy it so much more. Despite the loss of horsepower between the two, it's a much smoother, more enjoyable ride. And the SE package is enough to make it sporty while allowing me the motherly benefits that are a necessity. It's the best of both worlds for me.

The stereo. It is a nice upgrade from the standard LX.

Possibly some back seat room.

Wish I had two of 'em
By Tom Harmening

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.3L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've been driving this Civic Hybrid for a week and already my fuel bills are plummeting. It is a great car and rides much better than my previous car - a 2003 Prius. It's smooth and quiet at both street and freeway speeds. My MPG is slowly rising (they told me it would take approximately 600 miles to get to optimum mileage levels) and now stands at 41 mpg average - up from 33 when first delivered. Friends and neighbors can't believe it's a hybrid -- as one said "It looks like a regular car and not an egg". Honda has nailed this technology. I wish I could afford two of them - I'd trade my Lexus in an instant for another Civic Hybrid!

The roomy interior and smooth ride.

If only the rear seats folded down like the Accord Hybrid!

Not bad but needs work
By Martin

2005 Honda Civic LX 2dr Coupe (1.7L 4cyl 4A)

Civic is a good commuter car with great gas mileage, decent handling, and pleasant design.

Fuel economy is about 32 mpg, not the 28-38 estimated by EPA but it is still very good.

Due to their "sport" design, the seats are extremely unergonomic and thus uncomfortable, especially if you have back problems. You will not notice the discomfort on the test drive, but you will suffer in everyday driving. Interior quality is poor and it still rattles despite two repairs by Honda.