B2200 Vs Ranger
By X Mazda owner on
2010 Ford Ranger XL 2dr Regular Cab Styleside SB (2.3L 4cyl 5M)
I drove a 1991 Mazda B2200 for 238,000 miles. I decided to buy a new truck and settled on the Ford, which is supposed to be the same as Mazda. The Mazda had 94 horspower, the Ranger claims 148. On the same trip I have driven a 100 times with the Mazda, the Ranger couldn't pull the same hills without slowing down. It has higher gearing so it can't pull like the Mazda did. On some sections of bad road it handles very badly, kinda like skips. Quality is a bit sloppy. there were burrs on the door handles, on the steering wheel, and down under where you grab the emergency brake lever. The cover on the steering wheel that covers the air bag, has a gap that caught my coat sleeve button, not good.
Favorite Features
Arm rest, big side mirrors, good styling, 4 wheel disc brakes, is very quiet. I think it was well priced. Bucket style seats, good head rest, good visibility.
Suggested Improvements
Deburr the parts before you install them. Get rid of the sleeve catcher on the steering wheel. Fix the suspension handling problem. a little lower gearing, or go to a six speed. Rework the glove box. Get rid of the hump behind the seat or make it a utility tray or box.