Used 2003 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

2003 Ranger: A GREAT LITTLE TRUCK
By Don Carson

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT Appearance Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have rented these trucks for years and finally bought one in 2003. It is a great vehicle. I use it as a daily driver and to pull a 15' boat. It gets a good workout hauling lumber, trees and furniture. I am six feet & six inches tall and the extended cab gives me great leg room for long trips. The truck cruises comfortably at 75-80 miles an hour and gets about 20 MPG. I have had no problems with this truck. I do my own maintenance & it is easy to change the oil and filter. I just changed the serpentine fan belt and it was a 5 minute job. Ford has been building this truck for years and it is very reliable and comfortable. I highly recommend it. My wife also enjoys driving it.

Fuel efficient and powerful 3.0 engine. Great 5 speed automatic. Love the legroom of the 4 door cab. Good ride for a truck. Good quality control - everything works like it is supposed to. Like the looks of the flare side bed.

I do not like the scratchy fabric on the armrest, but I noticed the '05 and '06 models have much softer armrests. Other than that, I can think of nothing I would change. This is a really good truck that can haul a lot. I even used it to pull up trees after the hurricane.

Good Starter Car
By Adam

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great for a light/work truck. Never any mechanical problems in first 60K miles. CD changer went out in first 20K. Some dash instruments cheaply assembled, e.g. knobs broke off/snapped. Fuel economy was not as efficient as expected. Poor for V6.

Exceptional Value
By Fudge

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I originally bought this vehicle for a part time job that I had delivering lost airport luggage to passengers. It was perfect for that. Good gas mileage, load carrying capacity, reliable, etc. Since then I've used it as a work truck for construction sites. It has good off road capability. When I moved from a townhouse, I used this vehicle to haul "everything". I do mean everything, sofa's, big screen tvs, tables, beds. I have a five speed that's been good on gas. I've added side step bars, and a cab. This is a very nice looking truck that looks more expensive than it costs. Very happy with it.

The Edge looks like a 4wd and everyone assumes it is. I have a 5 speed and Leer cap for weight on the rear wheels so 4wd is not needed. The truck handles so much better with the extra weight of the cab. The front fascia with the fog lights give a real sporty look. Has an excellent sound system.

Does have wheel hop, suspension just a bit tight in the rear. Should come with a bed liner out of the dealership, since the rear scratches so easily. Original equipment Goodyear Wranglers are terrible for a vehicle of this type. Got rid of them before 15000 miles, and replaced them with All Terrain tires.

Great for the price!
By Thomas

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I got this truck an 18th birthday gift. I love it. It's small enough to be nimble and easy to handle in tight areas and mountain roads, yet I still sit high enough to see everything. I have the 3.0L V6 5 speed manual. The only thing I've had a problem with so far, at about 62,00 miles, is a bad starter and a problem with the light sensor. I have the premium sound system and it sounds great! The motor has decent power. It can pull its weight around. The ride isn't quite that of a sedan but the suspension does good offroad. I've but it through quite a bit, and it's held up great. Highly recommend it!

Exterior style, premium sound system, agility for a truck, good power to price ratio. Engine has a nice rumble to it at high rpm's.

The usual Ford problems. Problems with the starter and door light sensors. The stock tires are terrible off road and mediocre on road.

Best one so far
By Andrew O

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is now my second Ranger in four years and by far this is is the best one.

The look is both mean and sporty. The 3.0 is nice. Edge package w/ 4wd stance, thumbs up. Power to weight ratio is awesome for a P/U truck. And you can't beat the price.

Can't really think of any. Nothing that any other vehicle in this price range would actually have.