Used 2003 Ford Ranger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Ranger

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:

Good Starter Car
By Adam

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great for a light/work truck. Never any mechanical problems in first 60K miles. CD changer went out in first 20K. Some dash instruments cheaply assembled, e.g. knobs broke off/snapped. Fuel economy was not as efficient as expected. Poor for V6.

Exceptional Value
By Fudge

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I originally bought this vehicle for a part time job that I had delivering lost airport luggage to passengers. It was perfect for that. Good gas mileage, load carrying capacity, reliable, etc. Since then I've used it as a work truck for construction sites. It has good off road capability. When I moved from a townhouse, I used this vehicle to haul "everything". I do mean everything, sofa's, big screen tvs, tables, beds. I have a five speed that's been good on gas. I've added side step bars, and a cab. This is a very nice looking truck that looks more expensive than it costs. Very happy with it.

Favorite Features

The Edge looks like a 4wd and everyone assumes it is. I have a 5 speed and Leer cap for weight on the rear wheels so 4wd is not needed. The truck handles so much better with the extra weight of the cab. The front fascia with the fog lights give a real sporty look. Has an excellent sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Does have wheel hop, suspension just a bit tight in the rear. Should come with a bed liner out of the dealership, since the rear scratches so easily. Original equipment Goodyear Wranglers are terrible for a vehicle of this type. Got rid of them before 15000 miles, and replaced them with All Terrain tires.

Great for the price!
By Thomas

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I got this truck an 18th birthday gift. I love it. It's small enough to be nimble and easy to handle in tight areas and mountain roads, yet I still sit high enough to see everything. I have the 3.0L V6 5 speed manual. The only thing I've had a problem with so far, at about 62,00 miles, is a bad starter and a problem with the light sensor. I have the premium sound system and it sounds great! The motor has decent power. It can pull its weight around. The ride isn't quite that of a sedan but the suspension does good offroad. I've but it through quite a bit, and it's held up great. Highly recommend it!

Favorite Features

Exterior style, premium sound system, agility for a truck, good power to price ratio. Engine has a nice rumble to it at high rpm's.

Suggested Improvements

The usual Ford problems. Problems with the starter and door light sensors. The stock tires are terrible off road and mediocre on road.

Best one so far
By Andrew O

2003 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is now my second Ranger in four years and by far this is is the best one.

Favorite Features

The look is both mean and sporty. The 3.0 is nice. Edge package w/ 4wd stance, thumbs up. Power to weight ratio is awesome for a P/U truck. And you can't beat the price.

Suggested Improvements

Can't really think of any. Nothing that any other vehicle in this price range would actually have.

Nice Truck, but no 4WD
By bluebeaucoup

2003 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus Rwd Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle used last year and have been very happy with it since. Have the flex-fuel 3.0 V6, runs good, but a little short on power. Got the 4 door SuperCab,which is great. Also 6 CD player. Only complaint is no 4WD. Slid around in the snow last winter. Also, runs on ethanol, but I can't get it where I live, so I'm going to upgrade to the 4.0 4WD SuperCab soon. Overall, worth the investment for the money. Great little truck!

Favorite Features

4 door SuperCab, 6 CD player.

Suggested Improvements

More room in the jump seat area, or a single rear fold up seat like the Dakota has.