2001 Ford Ranger - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ranger model:
Ranger
By Lil'Wagon on 04/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Owned a 2000 Ranger XLT extended cab with auto prior to purchasing 2001 Ranger. 2000 model had 3.0 engine, two doors. Traded mainly for increased power of 4.0 and 4 doors. 2001 much better truck than 2000. Impressed with power. Recently towed 78 cement blocks (guessing 5,000 lb) and had plenty of power and still got 16 mpg. Impressive.

2001 Ford Ranger
By Greg Shattuck on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Overall I am pretty satisfied. I bought the truck new in 2001. I looked at Dodge, Nissan & Toyota compact trucks but felt they were too expensive and not as handsome as the Ranger. The only problems I have had are the rear doors rattling over bumps, also I wish the seats were more comfortable (lumbar support, head rests?). But everything else has been great: I currently have about 33,000 miles on the truck and have experienced no major problems. I like the 4.0 V6 power but the gas mileage suffers a bit (will there ever be an eletric hybrid pickup?). Have taken the truck off road a bit and it seems to do well.

ford truck
By p burke on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge 4WD Styleside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

transmission problems vehicle in the shop 10 times in on and half years. power windows serviced 4 times and are still do not operate properly.

A Total Shock
By Kyle T. on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab Edge Plus 2WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After coming from a Ford Stockholder Family, which has owned 6 Fords in my lifetime, I sure was surprised with the results from my Ranger. This truck doesn't hold the ground well (slides all over the place), I haven't had it for 50K miles and the brakes have been repaired, the radio volume doesn't work correctly anymore, a blub behind the dash has burnt out, 3 sensors had died, The parking brake got stuck, and it occassionally stalls in the rain (yet Ford says it doesn't). Lets just say, I'm never buying another Ford, and my parents have sold their/my Ford Stock!

Good Truck, But Loves GAS!
By SPOLkLd on 02/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr SuperCab XLT 2WD Styleside SB (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Well built truck, but it loves the gas a little too much. Never bested 20 mpg in the year I owned it and usually averaged 16 to 18, and that ws w/o a load in the rear. Choppy ride didn't help matters much and don't push one into a corner too fast or you'll be swaying all over. Avoid the French auto tranny. It stinks.

not bad, but still needs work
By you'llneverguess on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I got this on a lease and generally, everything seems ok. The V6 power is great compared to 4-bangers I had in the past. The cargo doors are very useful, although the driver's side doors didn't line up correctly and the cargo door rubbed against the chassis. That pesky 'door ajar' light comes on now and again, even when the doors are soundly shut. The 4WD works well and the shift dial is great for on-the-fly shifting. Ford needs to pay more attention to body assembly. I might buy another one--or maybe not.

Where's my 4x4
By wraith424 on 01/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab Edge Plus 4WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

For the past 3 months I have had to take my truck into the dealer to fix the 4-wheel drive. So far it has shorted out 5 times, stupid electronic shift on the fly and none of the mechanics at the dealer can find the short. Not only that but my cruise control also shorted out. I have less problems with my '96 ranger then I do with this one.

2001 Ford ranger
By Rx7Buff on 01/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Brakes have been done three times (pads & rotars the last time). I was told to expect this again. Drive shaft replaced. Vehicle "pings" and I was told to use higher test gas which did not work. Gone through three sets of tires. I do not drive off road and only use vehicle for transportation with no towing or plowing. Average about 13-15 MPG. Use only Mobil One oil and filters. Change oil every 3000 miles. Dealer not very helpful to diagnos and fix problems. All they recomend is that I buy the extended warranty. I like the truck but it will cost significantly for gas and repairs over the life of the truck.

Fun to drive
By jasbike on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 2dr Regular Cab Edge Plus 2WD Flareside SB (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great little gocart of a truck. This combination of the 4.0 motor, the 5sp manual, reg cab and two wheel drive make it light and quick. Therefore the quickest combo you can get. It is a shame they stopped making this set up, but I am glad that I own one. Chrome Yellow

Ranger #2
By Offroader on 11/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Ranger 4dr SuperCab XLT 4WD Styleside SB w/393A (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My first 4x4 Ranger was a 98. It did everything I asked and then a little old lady decided she didn't need to stop for a red light and the 98 was history (sure could have used a side air bag that day). Replaced it with a 2001. I haul my ATV in the bed with no problems, just leave the tail gate down. Had a clunking in the rear end and Ford replaced the drive shaft and u- joints.