Used 2001 Ford Focus SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Worst Car Ever
By marigoldsb

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002. It had 10,000 miles on it. It now has 220,000. I've had nothing but problems. It was recalled several times. I had many problems with the fuel pump when I first got the car. I replaced the EGR valve sensor 4 or 5 times. The turn signal will not turn off by itself. I had this fixed once, but it broke again. The passenger side window has broken twice. The passenger side seat will not recline. The radio randomly turns off. I've replaced tires, rotors, brakes and shocks multiple times. The ignition recently just broke and had to be replaced. Sometimes the front doors will not open from the outside so I have to climb in through the back. Wheel bearing broke 4 times.

Drives like a go cart. Good gas mileage.

Parts that don't break.

Bad and Worse
By pc1967

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Basically purchased it used for $3200, 20k miles later, after regular oil changes and sensible driving habits. It dropped the #4 valve seat effectively destroying the head and piston below the valve. This was the 2.0 SPI a.k.a split port engine. Do not buy a 01 Focus if the 8th VIN digit is a letter P without signed documented proof from the dealer that the valve seats have been replaced with the improved design period!! Ford should have seriously recalled this vehicle from the start. The only good thing that came out of this is, that I purchased a Toyota Yaris after this heap blew up. If Ford gave me a shiny new Focus, Id sell it and get another Toyota right there on the lot.

None it was a daily driver supposedly reported to be reliable according to edmunds. "cough not"

A official apology from Ford, and a recall regarding the faulty valve seats installed.

Note to all the poor souls who own the 2.0 SPI variant.
By pc1967

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As the title states if you own the 2.0 SPI SOHC aka (2.0 split port) variant. Sell this car immediately it's a literal time bomb. Possibly the worst engine design by Ford ever. No matter how you baby that engine expect the valve seats to fly directly into the cylinder head anytime after 70K miles. The minimum cost to fix is actually almost as much as the cars valuation. Even if you catch it prior to damage it's a very costly fix and one that could have been avoided by Ford if the had made a slight design variation to the 2.0 SPI. Symptoms of failing valve seats include. Engine chatter Running rough or stalling in idle A #2 or #4 cylinder misfire code Avoid the Focus VIN P at all costs

Maneuverable extremely fun to drive in traffic. The maneuverability of a fighter jet saved my bacon multiple times in an area where drunk and stupid is the rule not the exception when it comes to driving. Acceleration (meh) it takes awhile to get from 45-60 I hear the Zetec is a more reliable engine with a little more oomph than the 2.0 Split Port. Fuel cost it's not the lightest drinker at the bar but acceptable. Fuel cost to fill it up, roughly $25

Slight Modification to the 2.0 SPI engine design would had made the difference between a 70K engine and a 300k engine. :(

Would not recommend!
By Christina

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Focus for 5 years. I bought it w/over 50,000 miles on it. W/in 45 days the engine blew. It makes a loud rattling sound, it shakes, the brakes always squeak & the front passenger seat belt has never worked. It's a very small car inside; very uncomfortable to drive. For being such a small car, it doesn’t get good mileage. The engine now has about 100,000 miles on it & the vehicle has about 172,000 miles. It has lasted me a long time for being a “Ford” but I have also had to put a lot of money into it for various things. It now needs a new Cadillac converter & water bottle. It would make an ok car for someone w/o children. But is not recommended for a tall person.

I don't think I really have anything that is a favorite about this car.

Everything! The car looks nice but runs horribly, is not safe because of the seat belt being defected and because it is always braking down, and it is too small on the inside.

Saved My Life, Twice
By Shay

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has saved my life two times. The first time, I was in a hit and run accident with a semi-truck the same year I purchased the car. The second time was two weeks ago, and the man who ran into me totaled my car. Luckily, my unborn child and I walked away unharmed (mild chemical burn on hand from airbag). In the beginning the car was fantastic but towards the end (103,000 mi) the CD player failed, I had to get my fuel pump replaced (recall), and the electrical system kept failing. I started pouring lots of $$$ into it. I think of this as a blessing that my car is totaled now. It was a good first car, but now I am moving on to something better.

Gas Mileage+++, Tight Steering, Safety+++, Interior Room

The electrical system is a huge failure. There are too many recalled parts, and those recalls do not cover even 1/2 of the problems. You can find a better car for the money.