Used 2011 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2011 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Noisy and poor transmission
By mvirgolici

2011 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I'm working in automotive industry as engineer for the last 30 years. I bought this new 2011 Escape in Canada for my wife as she liked it during the driving test. I wouldn't buy it for myself. The car is noisy, a combination of engine, exhaust and poor sound insulation. I also knew from customer reviews that transmission for the 4 cyl engine is a concern. From day one, an average 4 times per week the transmission STRONGLY jerks when I reduce the speed below 25 miles per hour or shift in reverse at start. Canadian dealer tried to fix it without any luck, now living in US the Americans tried as well, they just gave up saying by loading the latest shift software there is nothing else to do.

Favorite Features

The cargo when rear seats are folded is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

None, after so many hundreds of thousands of vehicles on such a popular car if Ford was not able to build a reliable transmission that is a big problem. I recommend to stay away of buying the 4 cyl version. It will annoy you all the time the transmission jerks.

Escape Does It All
By truth1hurts

2011 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The 2011 Ford Escape is a dream and a much welcomed relief from our endless anxiety with an inferior product, a 2008 Jeep Patriot 5-Speed Manual. This Escape has great styling, spacious interior and far better visibility with its surround glass than the substandard design of the Patriot. We took it on a 1,600 mile trip in 2013 and never sweated. The 4 cylinder motor gives you good power on uphill roads and it comes with better tires than our former lemon. I would highly recommend the Escape and/our dealership as Ford has better customer service and attitudes towards their customers. The escape lets you "escape" the city jungle and is great in the outdoors and is very reliable.

Favorite Features

We like the more comfortable interior features and especially the cabin where the instrument dashboard does not jutt out in your face like the Patriot. The driver seat electronic adjustment and side view mirror defrosters are a nice feature as with the cruise control. It's no wonder Ford Escapes are so popular. This is the 2d Escape we've owned and will never buy another Jeep.

Suggested Improvements

There were some minor glitches in the Sync and microphone (place on the rear view mirror) as it was weak so they installed an external microphone close to the driver's window. There should be 2 microphones in the front; one embedded in the dashboard close to the driver and the other one on the opposite side. Otherwise, no complaints..... Kerwin Maude, Pitt Meadows, B.C. Canada

Apex Suv And An Asset To Any Owner
By truth1hurts

2011 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We love our 2011 Ford Escape as, in our opinion, it hammers the competition and it is a valued asset in our family. The pathetic competition, the 2008 Jeep Patriot does even come close to the reliability, power, style, reputation and perks of a comfortable Ford. The Escape will not hurt pocketbooks; it is reasonably priced and I would recommend people trying to get a better deal through the employee pricing campaign. Money well spent, the Ford Escape. It made a former unhappy owner of the Jeep elated when we slid into a 2011 Ford. The competition will be full of jealousies as Ford is known to give many the "wow factor" in an winner vehicle.

Favorite Features

We like features like Sync, cruise control and defrosters on the side view mirror. I am particularily comfortable with the better height of the Suv and its better all around window visibility. I hope potentional buyers will review the comments of the Escape as many readers become more informed. It's a winner vehicle with a solid reputation. This Canadian has no qualms in recommending an Escape and the service and sales at Coastal Ford in Burnaby, BC were incredible.

Suggested Improvements

I am not a fan of the new exterior style of the 2014 Escape but like improvements like the rear cargo hatch opening under the bumper that can be easily accessed. Ford will be in the family for a long time, good riddance to Jeep.

Not What I Expected
By bmeg2012

2011 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I had always wanted an Escape and I finally bought one. I have to say that I am so disgusted with it. I had to pay out of pocket to have the throttle body replaced because Ford won't recall them and 3 weeks after the repairs the part is tearing up again. It is dangerous to drive it stalls out in the middle of the road and you try and give it gas and it won't move. I would discourage anyone from buying one. I was born, bread, raised 100% ford girl but I am so anti-Ford now. If you are considering buying one think twice...........

SUV - ok, I guess; warranty support -- not ok
By bloke2

2011 Ford Escape SUV Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

We bought an XLT w/ AWD, AT, V6 and Sync. To date we only have 21k miles on it. IMO, cheap materials, budget design, fit and finish, and paint flaws. Lack of amenities you'd find in competitors, like a button to open the tailgate! SYNC is great but has its glitches. The 3.0 V6 is noisy & somewhat underpowered for the vehicle weight. It may be the gearing because we've had the AT reprogrammed twice via TSBs. Ford really fights with the consumer over warranty issues. Had hassle to replace tailgate window over defective defroster & badly faded plastic running board. Now we have two water leaks -- 1 door and the tailgate window. We're thinking, what's next?!

Favorite Features

Super comfortable seating for the long haul. Solid, rugged feel like a pickup truck. Simple engine design/compartment from mechanical perspective. Michelin tires.

Suggested Improvements

It's been redesigned for 2013 so I hope they started from scratch. Fire the warranty department and don't alienate owners. Not good for future sales. Manufacturing quality control. Look at competition and copy them where you can and stop being so cheap.