Used 2009 Ford Escape XLT SUV Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

2009 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Do yourself a favor, don't buy it.
By Curt

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

If there was a lower rating for transmissions I would have given it. This car seems to have a ton of recalls, which the techs like to tell me that Ford is looking out for its customers. I like to view it as, a lot of poor design choices from a company who has been making cars to long. I get being new and innovative, but how about making a car that doesn't have the worst transmission in the world?!? Did they even test the damn thing before they threw it into cars? I realize that all cars have their issues, but this car seems to be the worst I have ever dealt with (don't believe me? just google it).

Excellent
By pete162

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Had since new, very reliable , cheap to maintain, fuel sipper with plenty of power with the I4 2.5 liter engine. Always hand washed and waxed,it looks almost as good as the day we drove it off the lot.

Sync, Sirius, Polished Chrome 17" wheels

Looks Great and Very Reliable!
By russter

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My 09 Escape has far exceeded what I expected.
Unlike the review, this is a very reliable SUV, no problems at all through 50K+ miles, good pickup when I need it, average 22 to 23 MPG, (actually tracked via receipts) despite pulling a trailer quite often.
Had a front and rear end wreck, not my fault, the car behind was totalled, the truck in front was damaged, my Escape got new bumpers and lights and some body work!
It's quiet inside, unlike my just traded in Honda Pilot. Engine has a perfect sound when you floor it otherwise, it has a understated gentle purr that I like.
The 2nd. row is much easier to fold down than Edmunds would have you believe, and, it's made in K.C., MO, USA!

Looks, reliability, solid construction, American made, best red color in the industry, Sync, MPG, low purchase price, towing package

Easier to use SYNC.

One Year Later
By seancav

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have now had my 09 Escape for one full year. I am happy to report that I very pleased with it. It has been very reliable and fun to drive. I have spent two months in the mountains with it and have found it to be one tough vehicle. I have to do some trail riding in the mountains and the traction control on the car has taken me to places that I could not have gone without it. I am surprised that some of the recent reviews have given this SUV such a low rating. I love this car. Before this purchase I had only bought cars from Japan. I wanted to spend my dollars in the US. I gave Ford a try and am glad that I did. Do not be afraid to buy this car. Its great!

engine, well built car

more power with the four cylinder

Great SUV
By DQuinones

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I am telling Ford did a wonderful job with this one. Its a great Suv from top to bottom. Handles very well, comfortable and fun to drive. I was always skeptical buying a Ford. This is my first Ford and I am so glad it was this one. I test drove a lot of suv's in this class and nothing compared. Looking for a suv that handles like a car, looks good and extremelly comfortable than this is the one. Highly recommended!

Sync,Great legroom and cargo space

Heated side-view mirrors.