2009 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Looks Great and Very Reliable!
By russter on 03/01/12 06:57 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My 09 Escape has far exceeded what I expected. Unlike the review, this is a very reliable SUV, no problems at all through 50K+ miles, good pickup when I need it, average 22 to 23 MPG, (actually tracked via receipts) despite pulling a trailer quite often. Had a front and rear end wreck, not my fault, the car behind was totalled, the truck in front was damaged, my Escape got new bumpers and lights and some body work! It's quiet inside, unlike my just traded in Honda Pilot. Engine has a perfect sound when you floor it otherwise, it has a understated gentle purr that I like. The 2nd. row is much easier to fold down than Edmunds would have you believe, and, it's made in K.C., MO, USA!

One Year Later
By seancav on 07/29/10 07:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I have now had my 09 Escape for one full year. I am happy to report that I very pleased with it. It has been very reliable and fun to drive. I have spent two months in the mountains with it and have found it to be one tough vehicle. I have to do some trail riding in the mountains and the traction control on the car has taken me to places that I could not have gone without it. I am surprised that some of the recent reviews have given this SUV such a low rating. I love this car. Before this purchase I had only bought cars from Japan. I wanted to spend my dollars in the US. I gave Ford a try and am glad that I did. Do not be afraid to buy this car. Its great!

Great SUV
By DQuinones on 11/04/09 02:02 AM (PST)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I am telling Ford did a wonderful job with this one. Its a great Suv from top to bottom. Handles very well, comfortable and fun to drive. I was always skeptical buying a Ford. This is my first Ford and I am so glad it was this one. I test drove a lot of suv's in this class and nothing compared. Looking for a suv that handles like a car, looks good and extremelly comfortable than this is the one. Highly recommended!

So Disappointed!!
By Oroville2 on 10/25/09 16:08 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Loved my last 2 explorers, wanted better economy and all the tech stuff the Escape offered. It is back in the shop for the second time in one week for a problem with the transmission disengaging while driving on the freeway. Pulled over and would not go over 10 mph. Very scary!! Said it needed computer update, but did it again 6 days later.Not sure about Ford quality anymore.

FUN FORD!!
By dylandaughter on 09/04/09 14:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

My first Ford was a 2004 Ford Focus ZX3, and I loved it! I wanted to go in and get the Focus Zx4 with leather seats and Microsoft-sync technology-but alas no hatchbacks.I am outdoorsy with a big dog,and a consummate environmentalist, so an SUV never seemed like something I would let myself have. However this SUV gets nearly 30 miles to the gallon (less with the kayaks on top) but with all the room and the good gas mileage I gave it whirl. It was fun. As soon as I got used to the narrow wheel base --it was a lot of fun! I love it, I love it, I love It. Its comfy, practical safe, and economic! not the sexiest car terms but works for me, my dog, my kayak, my ski's, & all my gear.

My First Car
By Gregg on 08/24/09 23:06 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

Well after i got my license, my parents decided to buy me a car. We looked at Chevy and Ford, and since i wanted an SUV but didn't want to pay $90 at the pump like my dad's old 07 jeep commander (now has an '09 maxima) we decided on the Escape. My Mom wanted great Safety scores, which the Escape has, so there's another plus. I enjoy driving this car, the power steering and the ease of controlling the wheel is a joy. The car just feels good and solid throughout. I am very satisfied with my first car.

Ford moves in right direction
By sean on 08/02/09 16:36 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

The 2009 Ford Escape is in my opinion one of the best cars Ford has ever produced and represents part of their new commitment to reliability and excellence. The 09 Escape is comfortable, utilitarian and a pleasure to drive. I test drove almost every small to middle SUV on the market. I found myself comparing everything to the Escape. I was quite surprised by this as I come from a family that almost always buys foreign autos. IN all of my test drives the Escape bested every other vehicle in terms of comfort, pragmatism and function. I believe that the 09 is also a vast improvement over the 08. If you are in the market for a SUV I highly recommend this car. Ford earned my business!

Missed it by that much...
By Mr. Coke on 07/27/09 11:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

As all new car buyer's, I was looking for safety, quality, manufacture reputation, and price. My wife and I have found almost all of that in our 2009 Escape XLT. It is a good vehicle, very economical, and meets all of our needs, but I wish that it caused a little more excitement. It is just a plain, simple, vehicle. The exterior styling is fine; but the interior reminds me of fish scales, and everything is made from plastic. We chose to upgrade to the leather package, but still feels like you are sitting inside of a children’s toy. We like Fords, and will continue to buy their vehicles in the future, but just feel like Ford slightly, missed the mark with this vehicle.

Great SUV
By Louise on 07/20/09 14:25 PM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

This is our first NEW car in almost 25 years. We have been wanting a small SUV and after a lot of research we decided on the Ford Escape. Besides the comfort, the street appeal and the reliability ratings, this FWD,4 cyl. 6 speed trans. is getting nearly 27 mpg! It's only 4 days old and supposed to have even better mileage when broken in. We live in the Ozarks where it's all mountain driving and the car handles like it was a V6! There's no road noise and the automatic shifting is effortless. The front seats are ample and the Sirius music is awesome! This SUV has a lot of classy features and we know we will be enjoying it for a long time.

The worst new car I've ever had
By PeaRat450 on 06/18/09 04:50 AM (PDT)

2009 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4dr SUV (2.5L 4cyl 6A)

I wanted to buy American. Unfortunately I think I picked the wrong manufacturer for a small SUV. The build quality is horrible. The shut lines on the doors are way to big and inconsistent. I can fit my finger in the one at the top of the back hatch. The rear folding seat design is horrible. The interior is cheap and plastic abundant. The rear window sounds like it is going to fall out. The rear suspension booms over anything but the smallest bumps. The doors don't shut fully unless you slam them. I could go on and on. I can't deny the fact that it gets good gas mileage for an SUV. "Drive Quality" clearly does not apply to the Escape. Maybe I'll let the bank repo it since their is no resale

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Ford Escape Suv in VA is:

$111 per month*