Used 2004 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Ford Escape
By J. Jolly

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Escape used in June 2007 with just over 44 K miles on it. I have put 20,000 problem free miles on it since then. It has just required regular maintance. I'm impressed with the overall quailty and versatility of this SUV. Powerful engine, carlike handling and brakes are selling points. Handles great in bad weather (snow, ice,and rain). I feel safe in this automobile. Mine is equipped with side airbags. I would highly recommend the Escape to anyone looking for a small SUV.

Sunroof, leather seats, and 6-disc CD changer.

Gas mileage, I get around 18 MPG in town and maybe 25 MPG highway. Stereo buttons on steering wheel would be a nice touch.

Another Escape with transmission problem
By Ruth

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I leased my 2004 Escape brand new from a dealer where I worked. All service work required on the SUV was performed. I like the fact I could get to work in bad weather and feel totally comfortable driving my Escape in the snow. At 60 years old, I take care of my cars, I don't off road, and I drive carefully. Had I known the transmissions in the Escape only last 50,000 miles, I would not have purchased my lease vehicle.

Handling in snow. Interior space.

Build the Escape with more reliable parts. When you compare the sell price of the Escape to its durability, you are not getting your moneys worth. My next vehilce will have a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, or I'll buy a Korean throw away car!

Escape XLS 2.0 in TX
By Dave

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Pros: Surprisingly good grip around curves, nice interior design, reliable, cruise control function and nice exterior visual appeal. Cons: The clutch is grippie cold and improves at warmup; doors speakers buzz; too much road noise, and stiff clutch action.

Road handling, interior design and layout, attractive exterior, and sits up higher than cars.

An improvement in road noise, mpg, clutch performance and door speakers are needed.

It could be better for the money!
By I Got Suckered!

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new car I bought for myself. The excitement of it all jaded my common sense. This is a very loud ride! Even with new tires, a new alignment job, new brakes, and new rotors. $400 later at 30k it's still loud and I have to blast my radio to hear it over the hummm. The interior is very cheap. My son sits on the seat and within the first month of owning it, the carpet where the seat and cushion meets was frayed and looked 4 yrs older. The sun/moon roof did not open & close properly from about 1 month in. The gas mileage is horrendous even with new airfilters and driving in overdrive! To top it off, I pay way more than I feel it's worth.

Sun/Moon roof, six CD changer

Enable MP3's, and Ipods to be played, fix the extermely loud wheel noise, improve the quality in the the interior fabric, and carpet (make it withstand a family!), make the ac have a recirculate option- having ac with skunk smell from outside stinks and the ac doesn't cool feet either!

So Far So Good
By Pam

2004 Ford Escape SUV XLT Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've put 56,000 miles on mine the 2.5 years I've owned it, and have required only scheduled maintenance, new tires, and brake pad replacement. I think it's a great for an all-around small utility, not luxury, SUV. I have front wheel drive model, does great in snow. For what I needed and could afford, a pretty good buy. I'd prefer another Honda, but couldn't afford the used ones. I hope I get at least 200,000 miles out of it.

I love the large cargo space for its size, and the split rear seats. I've hauled stuff I never thought I'd fit into it. Pretty fun to drive overall.

Interior is dull and cheap looking - they gould have done a lot better, it's not a Festiva! Padding/cushioning inside the drivers seat is shifting a bit and lumpy on one side-not sure what the problem is - maybe it's torn on the inside. Ride is a little rough and noisy.

• SUV