Used 2003 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews - 242 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

The unreliable Ford
By Rob

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As soon as my warrenty expired my ford fell apart. First it was a 3300 $transmission, then 1500$ rebuilding the front end, then the wheel cencers for 1000$, then the driveshaft bearing 500$, and now ford says it needs a new transfer gear box for 5000$! This car is unreliable, and constanly breaks down. i could have got a better car with the money I have spent fixing this one.

I would buy another one today!
By Sarah

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 4WD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my 2003 Ford Escape 4x4 for the last 5 years. We bought it used with about 90,000 miles on it. Now I have only put 30, 000 on it myself, but it has been a great little truck for my family. It fit two carseats comfortably in the back, with easy access to them through the side doors. The drivers' seat is comfortable and adjustable. My only issue was the placement of the ignition keyhole. My husband replaced the battery with a great cold-start one early on, and it has started every single time in cold Ohio winters. He did the brakes regularly, and the only other issue we had was with the coil packs. Once we replaced those, the car ran perfectly. It handles easily and feels very small compared the the mini-van we just had to invest in. I am looking forward to owning one again someday!

my first ford
By Gary Middleton

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLS Value Fwd 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i got this at a buy here pay here.... and for the price wasn't bad handles great

Not too bad for a 13 year old car
By Gary

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Ford Escape XLT with leather seats and a sunroof in February of 2015 with 130,000 miles on it. The moment I got it I gave it a tune up and a oil change a month later I had to replace the front driver side strut and it's been good ever since. I read reviews online that the transmission sometimes has problems on these cars so I decided to install a transmission oil cooler which is supposed to extend the life of the transmission it shifts smoothly by the way and the engine is good too. The battery light has been on ever since I got it but there is nothing wrong with the battery or the alternator I had it looked at by more than one mechanic and they all said the same thing one of them said it could be a bad connection to the alternator he had customers with the same exact car and the same exact problem and he said he replaced the alternator only for the light to come back on so he changed the alternator connection and that solved the problem just recently I drove 8 hours to Buffalo, NY and 8 hours back with that battery light on and nothing happened. Don't expect a 13 year old car to be perfect it's going to wear down a bit and end up needing a repair no matter the make or model Ford, BMW, Volvo, Nissan, Honda, Chevy, etc. I am satisfied with my Ford Escape

Crummy for a used vehicle
By cooperh

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I bought this it was 10 years old so I was not expecting much, but no matter how I look at it I am disappointed. Paint chipping and rusting is a serious issue on the exterior, the suspension is harsh, loudly clunking, and has been a money pit.

I understand in buying used vehicles that there are fixes waiting to happen, but I didn't expect the magnitude that came with this thing!

It may have been a nice vehicle when it was new but has not stood up to the test of time well. Other vehicles I've driven that gave me less issues than this were an 03' Ram 1500 dually, an 05' Mitsubishi Endeavor, and 07' Hyundai Entourage.

6-CD sound system, handling

build quality is not durable, engine strained, interior easily beat up, cup holders cannot hold anything in place, truck-style transmission is just weird in this thing