2002 Chevrolet S-10 Consumer Review: Wish they still made these!

2002 Chevrolet S-10 - Consumer Review

Wish they still made these!
By drdetroit on

2002 Chevrolet S-10 3dr Extended Cab LS 2WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is the third s10 I have owned, I have had a 99,00 and the current 02. I am very partial to the 4.3 because it is very dependable and I always put 200,000 miles or more on these trucks. I do not know why people have had problems with the fuel pump, I have got 180,000 out of all of mine. I always felt the truck was a good buy with good looks for the money! I would Rather push a USA truck than drive any Toyota!

4 spd auto trans 4.3 engine ,good looking interior and dash (dash very well made).

They should have had a v8 available like a 5.3 like in the impala ss.
By captainenfield
on 01/29/11 10:48 AM (PST)

A good friend of mine owned a 1994 Sonoma with the 4.3 and it was a reliability disaster. He had to have the fuel pump replaced 3 times all before it hit 70k miles. At 85k the oil pump failed and the engine seized. You were apparently lucky. The dealer who repaired his truck had one mechanic dedicated to replacing fuel pumps on 4.3's. That's how bad they were. I have owned a 2002 S10 with the 2.2L for 9 years and have found it to be a very mediocre truck at best. I had to replace major steering parts all under 40k miles and now my parking brake has failed at 54k. These trucks are junk. My prior truck was a Toyota and was the best vehicle I ever owned. Drove it to over 200k. Big mistake switching to GM. You have probably never owned a Toyota and do not seem to know what you're talking about. Toyota trucks run rings around so-called USA trucks.