2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:
looks good but falls apart
By johnson on 01/26/08 13:17 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

it started out great and offroad capability is great... started to fall apart about a month after having it. had about 7000 dollars in repairs including a new engine, rear end, seals, bearings, water pump, alternator, cooler lines, oil pump lines, O2 sensor, and had a bad moisture problem that leaked water into the passenger floor mats... had lots of problems with the third door... vacuum pump went out twice.. would never get one again and couldn't wait to get rid of it!

Owner
By Lowbo on 11/14/07 10:40 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS Xtreme 2dr Extended Cab Stepside SB

Since the day I drove it off the lot I've enjoyed the ride, Sleek running always a head turner. Will never sell this truck. I utilized this truck as if it was a big hauling truck. Hauled trailers and boats with it and it keeps on running. Only problem I had with it was an Oil cooler line break 2 years ago. Other than that great set of wheels.

I love this truck
By Zack on 10/13/07 22:38 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I love this truck. I have a small lawn service and this truck has never had a problem with my trailer, or any thing else, even with a load of mulch at the same time. The only problem I have had with the truck is since I am the second owner of the truck and the first was my grandfather and it was never really used in 4 wheel drive and we had to replace almost the entire system (costly)

Looks cool, but that's about it.
By Scott on 05/21/07 08:07 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

This is a cool looking truck because of the big tires and how high it sits. However, I have had this car for about a year and have spent over $5,000 in repairs. The whole front end needed to be replaced, body fell apart rapidly, and truck makes all kinds of funny noises. Truck look very nice when it was purchased, now I am almost embarressed to drive it.

2000 ZR2 crumbling away
By MrGNMan on 01/02/07 09:05 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Purchased new and maintained religiously by dealer and me. All highway mileage with 75000 on original tires. Got brakes had to replace all 4 rotors? Couldn't even cut them once! Dealer replaced intake gasket with a better design from GM. I have to pay! Transmission had corroded sensors and actuaters $1000 just for parts! Last 6 months $3200. in repairs which should not have been necessary! Had an '89 S10 4x4 that had 275k on it and still was running strong when I sold it for a newer, "better" truck. I'm sure that truck is still going strong. The dealer wants to sell me another truck as a solution! Not!

Above Average Repair Costs at 78,000 mi
By Coleman on 07/29/06 13:09 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I have spent over $4400 in repairs in '05/'06 - 78,000- 91,000 miles - upper & lower ball joints, wheel bearings, oxygen sensor, oil cooler lines, shocks, brakes, belts, and tune- up. There is a moisture problem with the rotor cap screen which affects performance. The plastic club door latch broke off at 60,000 ($145 repair) and the passenger seat recliner arm busted ($245 repair).The current Consumer Report lists the S10 on the Worst Car List. I spend over $300 per month on gas for work. I am going broke owning this vehicle but the mechanics keep telling me "it's a good truck." I have not yet hit 100,000 miles and am worried about what's ahead. Anyone out there have similar stories?

2000 Zr2 2000 Problems
By 2000zr2 2000problems on 06/07/06 10:38 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS Wide Stance 3dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

So much for built like a rock. This truck has been nothing but problems. The front end suspension can not handle the 31 inch tires. Spending 200- 300 bucks just to pass a sticker every year is stupid. Weak Transmision. Starting to slip at 80,000. Interior rattles like it is going to fall apart. Bad third door hinge design. I have had it fixed 3 times at a dealer and it still rattles a month later. I love the push 4x4 controls. Body Control Mod. went, 700 bucks fixed that problem. Great exterior looks. Paint chips easy. Gas gauge stoped at 65,000.

Stephen review
By Stephen on 04/08/06 08:23 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have driven this vehicle throughout Germany. I love the truck. It has been 100% reliable. Problems I had were as follows: The recline handles on both seats broke before 30000 miles becuase of substandard metal used where they scew onto. The truck wants to slide easy and traction is not good, despite the tires. After 140,000 I still don't burn oil, I am religious on changes. Also the brakes tend to wear out fast on the front and rotors warp quick. (All GMs seem to do this) I love the body style it is timeless and the 4.3 is a great little engine, but I really dislike the plastic coolant outlet valve on the radiator. Apart from these things shes done me great. Reliable as hell. Wind noise is bad.

Another piece of GM Junk
By Tom Bates on 12/02/05 12:37 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Door hinges wore out after only two years. I have had leaks in the truck since day one. It couldn't get out of its own shadow, even on a down hill run. It is a base model so there are no electric components to give me any issues(electric locks, windows, etc).

Not bad considering...
By ChevyOwner on 08/31/05 21:47 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I've been mostly pleased with my S-10. The biggest problems have been having to replace both front wheel bearings twice--apparently a design flaw that has cost me $2400. And the gas gauge has stopped working and I can't see putting another $700 to replace the fuel sending unit to get it to work. Other than that, all major mechanical systems have continued to function to my expectations. It has 94,000 miles and starts every morning without a problem.