Used 2000 Chevrolet S-10 Base Consumer Reviews - 2 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

GREAT TRUCK
By Rick

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

I bought my 2000 Chevy S10 regular cab truck in 2003 and I STILL have it in 2016... It had 12,000 miles on it when I bought it & has 148,000 now.... I"ve replaced a battery & and alternator. OVERALL, I love this truck... It isn't the greatest mileage (low 20's) for a 4 cylinder 5 speed, but it has been mega dependable... AND I DO tow with this truck My trailer is 16'long x 6' wide & I have FILLED it with thousands of bricks and yeah, it's lugging along, but she DOES THE JOB... I'm not planning on getting another truck... I hear stories about newer vehicles & am NOT thrilled with the quality... OH.... I see even newer trucks where the clear coat is peeling & flaking.. I live in Phoenix AZ and I STILL have my nice shine.... THIS truck has been great for me. I would NOT want the larger engine... due to lower gas mileage. I don't drive like a race driver... and I have NO problems merging onto freeways safely at the current speeds... I bought mine at auto auction for $1,200 yes $1,200.

Dependable
By Virginian

2000 Chevrolet S-10 2dr Regular Cab SB

Bought the truck with 5K miles on it from a young couple having their first baby. I have almost 140K on it and it has been the most depenable daily driver I have owned. I knew about the potential ball joint problems and had grease inserts put in. I replaced the shocks at 50K,not because they were bad. Light trucks tend to fish tail over gravel and wash boards and I wanted better stability. I had the rotors turned and new pads put on at 75K, and the lower balls joints replaced at 135K. At 104K I changed the plugs, plug wires, flushed the radiator, replaced the lube in the transmission and rear end. Other than normal maintenance nothing else has failed. Oh, I replaced the battery.

Reliability/dependability. I have driven it on several 16-18 hour trips and was comfortable the whole trip. I get 25 mpg commuting and 30 mpg on the long trips. For a truck that I paid $7400 for - it's earned my respect. Try buying something like this at that price today.

The original Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires were horrible with even a slight bit of moisture on the ground. I thought they would never wear out. So, at 60K I replaced them anyway with Yokohamas, and am not at all dissapointed.