2006 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Review: Oi-Vey-Oh

2006 Chevrolet Aveo - Consumer Review

Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

By Garibaldi on

2006 Chevrolet Aveo Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Rolling my 1998 Contour SVT put a new car in my life last January. Not a Sentra Spec V, which didn't charm, instead I went for the Aveo SVM 5 door. This car is so stripped, I expected to find a pull cord wrapped around the crank pulley. It took two days and one 45 mph offramp to realize the cheesy Kumho tires wouldn't do. Serious interneting got me 17" wheels and tires that transformed the handling. Gas mileage isn't stupendous at 27 mpg overall, but it's decent. Build quality is all that can be expected for a sub $10k car: it's tight, quiet, fast, and quick. Oddly, the Aveo is a great over the road stormer. With a 6yr/100k bumper to bumper GM warranty, I'm worry free until 2012. Not bad.

No worries tops my list of favorite features. With the bumper to bumper warranty, I pay not deductible and get a loaner for six years or a hundred k. Exterior styling is quite nice in dark red with 17" wheels. And at 75 mph, it is a great highway stormer. I'm happy as a clam.

I'm sorry, but I can't expect any car that cost me $9800 out the door to improve. Oh, okay, if the engine management was a little more up to date, the Aveo could get 35 mpg city/40 mpg highway. But the agricultural 4 banger just isn't that sophisticated.