2009 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
First BMW X5 purhcase...
By adam11b on 11/14/13 09:54 AM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

When you look past the iDrive and price, what a vehicle. Nothing this big I have ever driven handles as well as the X5. The interior is timeless and the exterior is just enough the combo of aggressiveness/luxury. I have the 4.8i with the big v8. Talk about ballsy, this thing gets up and goes, however I do not drive it hard as I am concerned for the price of gas. I will say that if you are genuinely considering buying one, you must have the money for maintenance (regardless of warranty or not) someone financially unstable should not even think of buying this SUV. The oil changes, tires WILL bite your wallet at some point. I have not found the rattling for rear gate, its bothering me..bad.

Wish it were more reliable
By Brian B on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

My wife has been driving for almost 2 years. I am trying to decide whether we want to buy from lease. We have had multiple problems with this car. We have had a continuous small surge from the start position. Additionally we had a leak in the sun roof that went into the dash. They had to replace the dash )leather) and all electronics. Problem is fixed but it always lurks in my mind. My wife really likes the car. Power is good. Drives good. We paid extra for the leather dash and upgraded leather seating. Do not get this car without the vented (cooled) seats. I have found it to be extremely hot on the bottom:)

My Best Buy
By Gladstone Bimmer on 05/21/10 09:47 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I have recently driven a Mercedes C280, a Mercedes E320 and a Lexus R320, but my BMW X5 is the best vehicle of the lot. I love the way it looks inside and outside and I have learned to love the way it drives. The I-Drive was a little difficult to learn, but once mastered is a great way to control the many different features. I'm 67 years old and learning to drive all over again!

Love the X5!
By mikehell on 10/29/09 15:55 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Just traded a 2008 Lexus LS460 sedan for my first SUV. I love it so far! Loaded with sport package, nav, comfort access, 20 inch wheels, you name it. I have owned 2 BMW 5 series a few years back and frankly missed the German engineering... especially when compared to Lexus's poor engineering. Sorry Lexus fans, but they just are not BMW's. I actually look forward to getting up in the mornings just to drive my X5... that is how much i love it! Let alone, the service and BMW assist is included for 4 years/50 K miles... that definitely helps with the ownership costs of a luxury SUV.

Exceeded Expectations
By Senoroso on 10/07/09 19:05 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Car is very nice, great build quality, great mileage on the road, looks good, passengers and bystanders both seem to like it. Driving comfort is impressive, 400 miles in the seat is nothing.

Love it but...
By Scott in Austin on 07/10/09 15:34 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

While my 2009 X5 4.8i only has about 300 miles on it total I've got to say I wake up in the morning looking for places to go just so I can drive this awesome piece of machinery, and I work out of my house. The Pros: Awesome Handling, macho-good looks (especially with my 20" y-spoke sport wheels), solid German engineering, thicker than average sporty steering wheel and powerful. The Cons: Beside the fact I have already had it in the shop for two full days due to two (conicidence? I think maybe not) bad front tires that was causing my car's steering to pull there aren't a whole lot of cons. The i-Drive interface is a joke! BMW has some work to do and could take some pointers from Lexus.

2009 BMW X5 4.8i
By Michael Biggs on 06/09/09 02:00 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

The x5 is a great car, it has not broken down once. I am amazed it can do over 161 mph. It also has an amazing crash test rating.

Very fun to drive, sucks gas
By Brett 4.8i on 06/05/09 01:11 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I got my X5 less than a week ago and I love it. I saw the 2010 iDrive on a couple of other BMW models. I became afraid that I bought too soon before the 2010's came out. Hey this car handles awesome and is super comfortable. The fat wheel looks burly. I like the electronics and computer stuff. Sound system is way better than I expected, and I am a picky guy. I'm tired of Mercedes Benz and the way they treated me. When I got the X5 my blackberry connected easily with the bluetooth. With Mercedes, blue tooth only worked with Motorola and Verizon. That stinks, they went out of their way to make things more expensive and harder. BMW beats Mercedes in handling and steering in my book. Bye bye BENZ.

For Sure the Ultimate Driving Machine!
By Luv my Beamer 4.8i on 04/02/09 19:05 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

My 2nd X5 4.8i and I love it! Lots of power, response, comfort..and a head turner. Got the loaded 4.8i, custom order, Black Sapphire, Saddle Brown Leather, loaded, 20s, it's sweet! Quality machine, could drive it for hours!

Dead Battery
By Don on 02/13/09 18:03 PM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Huge problem with the battery system. The push start system has no accessory mode, therefore if the engine is not running and you turn it on to use the radio, phone, DVD, etc. The battery will drain in 15 minutes. No indicator, no warning, just dead battery. The dealer service departments say they have to put the car on a charger just to work on them or the battery will be dead. The BMW answer is you have to have the engine running "all the time". Forget the after engine turnoff heat, you can't use it. Forget the DVD player that logically you can't use while driving, but you have to keep the engine running. If you expect to use your car a lot like I do, forget it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.