Used 2009 BMW X5 xDrive48i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

leaky, oily and sealless
By Gene

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

My wife and I are over 70 and do not drive aggressively. The car was never red lined or even close. The car is fun to drive but very expensive with excessive repairs. All recommended maintenance, oil changes, brake pads, brake flushing, alignment, etc. were done on or ahead of schedule. The car has 85,000 miles on it and has had over $14,000 in out of factory warranty repairs. The dealer labor is $150+ an hour and the dealer parts are 1.3 to 3 times more than the same OEM part when available outside. The AC leaked during the 50,000 warranty and a connection hose was replaced. Everything else failed and was repaired after 50,000 and by 85,000 miles. Most failures have been acknowledged by the dealer and on the internet to be a common failures on a BMW V8 engine. Repairs: Head light washer nozzle came off and was replaced. Water tank split at seam and was replaced. Vacuum pump leaked and was replaced. Oil seals on front of engine leaked and were replaced. Front end bushings were worn and were replaced. Engine valve cover gaskets leaked and were replaced. Engine Valve seals leaked and were replaced. Fuel pump leaked vacuum and was replaced. I recommend you not own this car after 50,000 miles unless you have an extended warranty. Thank goodness i had one.

First BMW X5 purhcase...
By adam11b

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

When you look past the iDrive and price, what a vehicle. Nothing this big I have ever driven handles as well as the X5. The interior is timeless and the exterior is just enough the combo of aggressiveness/luxury. I have the 4.8i with the big v8. Talk about ballsy, this thing gets up and goes, however I do not drive it hard as I am concerned for the price of gas. I will say that if you are genuinely considering buying one, you must have the money for maintenance (regardless of warranty or not) someone financially unstable should not even think of buying this SUV. The oil changes, tires WILL bite your wallet at some point. I have not found the rattling for rear gate, its bothering me..bad.

4.8i engine has balls interior is timeless pano roof is gangsta heated seats heat quick huge steamroller 20's on the rear flared fenders running boards HID adaptive lights exhaust note huge cargo for my shepherd Samantha :)

Back up sensors are super duper annoying, I always turn them off. iDrive isn't as user friendly as I would like, although I will say, having a BMW 5series wagon with iDrive before this, it is much easier to learn the new features. Run flats are expensive, damn you tirerack

Wish it were more reliable
By Brian B

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

My wife has been driving for almost 2 years. I am trying to decide whether we want to buy from lease. We have had multiple problems with this car. We have had a continuous small surge from the start position. Additionally we had a leak in the sun roof that went into the dash. They had to replace the dash )leather) and all electronics. Problem is fixed but it always lurks in my mind. My wife really likes the car. Power is good. Drives good. We paid extra for the leather dash and upgraded leather seating. Do not get this car without the vented (cooled) seats. I have found it to be extremely hot on the bottom:)

Power, large sunroof, sporty.

Sunroof screen, nav on Idrive.

My Best Buy
By Gladstone Bimmer

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I have recently driven a Mercedes C280, a Mercedes E320 and a Lexus R320, but my BMW X5 is the best vehicle of the lot. I love the way it looks inside and outside and I have learned to love the way it drives. The I-Drive was a little difficult to learn, but once mastered is a great way to control the many different features. I'm 67 years old and learning to drive all over again!

The navigation system, parking aids, powerful V8 and a beautiful design are my favorite features.

Increase the volume of the vehicle security system, including the volume confirming the locking of the doors. However, at 67 years of age it may be my hearing is not what it used to be.

Love the X5!
By mikehell

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Just traded a 2008 Lexus LS460 sedan for my first SUV. I love it so far! Loaded with sport package, nav, comfort access, 20 inch wheels, you name it. I have owned 2 BMW 5 series a few years back and frankly missed the German engineering... especially when compared to Lexus's poor engineering. Sorry Lexus fans, but they just are not BMW's. I actually look forward to getting up in the mornings just to drive my X5... that is how much i love it! Let alone, the service and BMW assist is included for 4 years/50 K miles... that definitely helps with the ownership costs of a luxury SUV.

The powerful V8 engine and slick transmission. Love the ride height and the 20" run flats.

Upgrade parking distance control, updgrade NAV system. Otherwise a beautifully engineered machine!