Used 2009 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Quality issues ?
By cwe6279

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This car was great the first 3 years I owned it. Year 4, 5 were more troublesome and 5+ downright maddening. Since the Warranty expired, had to replace the following at about $5000-7000 per year average cost: - IBS sensors and cables (twice) - Alternator - batteries/brakes (only normal wear and tear repair I have had to make) - Catalytic converter it only has 30k miles on it! Aside from the issues above, the service I received was really disappointing (but maybe it's just my area). I heard from various sources there was a lot of local turnover and some challenges in the dealer/manufacturer relationship and that was certainly reflected in the service levels I experienced.

Favorite Features

was fun to drive when not taking it to the dealership for repair.

Suggested Improvements

Software and user interface is not at all intuitive. Xdrive interface is awful. Quality and Dealer Service I experienced were nowhere near the level of Mercedes.

First BMW X5 purhcase...
By adam11b

2009 BMW X5 xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

When you look past the iDrive and price, what a vehicle. Nothing this big I have ever driven handles as well as the X5. The interior is timeless and the exterior is just enough the combo of aggressiveness/luxury. I have the 4.8i with the big v8. Talk about ballsy, this thing gets up and goes, however I do not drive it hard as I am concerned for the price of gas. I will say that if you are genuinely considering buying one, you must have the money for maintenance (regardless of warranty or not) someone financially unstable should not even think of buying this SUV. The oil changes, tires WILL bite your wallet at some point. I have not found the rattling for rear gate, its bothering me..bad.

Favorite Features

4.8i engine has balls interior is timeless pano roof is gangsta heated seats heat quick huge steamroller 20's on the rear flared fenders running boards HID adaptive lights exhaust note huge cargo for my shepherd Samantha :)

Suggested Improvements

Back up sensors are super duper annoying, I always turn them off. iDrive isn't as user friendly as I would like, although I will say, having a BMW 5series wagon with iDrive before this, it is much easier to learn the new features. Run flats are expensive, damn you tirerack

People mover with class and performance
By cnaps

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I must say the BMW x5 3.0 is x-drive is a joy to drive its not a m5 but it's perfect for everyday use. The cabin is very comfortable and build quality and materials are of the highest quality the brakes are very good and drives very tight. It gives you the room you need to move the family around with out losing performance and style. Build quality and reliability is as good as it gets.

Favorite Features

performance , well balanced engine , build quality

Suggested Improvements

I DRIVE made more user friendly

Great SUV
By jledoux

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I bought a off lease 09 X5 D after my wife's new explorer was hit and totaled. After only a few days all i can say is wow! 425 pound ft of torque and 28 mpg on the highway is an incredible combination. The X5 has amazing handling and great brakes. We have owned a fx 35, a xc 90 and a ford explorer and this X5 is by far the best SUV we have owned. This engine is perfect for a 5000 lb truck. It pulls effortlessly and for such a heavy vehicle it has great pick up. If you are looking for the perfect combo of fuel mileage, power, comfort and handling look no further. I highly recommend

Favorite Features

Power and Comfort

Disappointed
By cruzian

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

It seemed promising at first, but after a few months I'm done with it. There are more rattles than an old Volvo, the 3.0 is weak, iDrive is useless, the run flats are crazy expensive and have NO traction in snow, and it rides worse than my F-150 4X4. Actually, my F-150 is built better, more dependable, has equal handling and performance, and gets about the same gas mileage. Now the evaporator is leaking freon. Maybe this 3rd trip in the dealer can resolve these issues.

Favorite Features

Styling inside and out, and the engine sounds great if you can hear it over the rattles.

Suggested Improvements

Build it in Germany, by Germans. By the plastic from Ford; theirs does not creak and rattle. Recall all of the 3.0 engines and equip them with turbochargers. Cancel Exide's contract and return to the previous battery manufacturer. I could go on...