Used 2009 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Buyer be aware!
By Kevin

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Overall this was a high performing, satisfying experience. However, the frequency of my trips to the repair shop had both me and my mechanic frustrated, and diminished the positive feeling. The problem with these vehicles is the expense of highly specialized parts and the time needed to repair. If you're not ready to absorb these expenses, do not purchase this car.

Buy one, love it, and be prepared for maintenance
By Eric

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

As a good friend said to me before I bought my first bimmer, they don't break often, but when they do, its expensive. This car is no exception. That being said I buy low priced, high quality cars. I prefer them depreciated from their showroom pricing, but in good condition. We bought our 2009 BMW X5 with 92K on it. In the last 24 months we have spent about 6-7K in repairs. The car does need special therapy. The tight tolerances of the sensors, the tight standards of the brakes, tires, wheel bearings, and glow plugs mean constant mechanic massaging. BUT!!!! When this car is running right(80% of the time) it is simply the best car I have ever driven. Insanely fast, stable, and powerful. With snow tires I have conquered the toughest storms that Colorado can throw at me. Do yourself a favor. Buy one of these cars with 90-100K on it, set aside $6K in repair dollars(that is still half of the original sticker price) and you will own a great car. A really great car.

Big Machine Worth it !
By Carla

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Never have had a problem, it's a 2009. Last week had to have left front headlight replaced. Been very satisfied with it. Just the other day a friend ask me about it, he's thinking seriously about getting one. Love the steering, the way it hugs the road, the pickup, in fact it all feels like it fits tight, I feel safe!

I've been had!
By Mike

2009 BMW X5 xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I was seduced by its good looks and big engine. Our X5 has been a maintenance nightmare. Something very expensive fails on this vehicle about once every 6 months. Out of warranty fixes has cost us about $5000-$6000 per year since owning it. The latest news is it failed to pass smog due to value leaks. My BMW tech told me this is common for this engine. Well, now I have to spend another $6000k ($500 in parts, 45 hours of labor!) to replace the value seals just to get it to pass smog. This is my second and last BMW.

Biggest bucket of worms I've ever owned
By Frugal German

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the car with the extended warranty. Started out having to replace the bulbs of the headlights several times. The run flat tires are expensive, no spare. The computer display will display the message that you have a flat and to pull over, or drive for 50 miles if you have run-flats, however the computer will not allow you to exit this screen and switch to navigation. Was on a trip in Canada when I had a flat and had no idea which would be the closest city. Battery drains in a heart beat if you open and close the back hatch several times while packing for a trip. Need a big truck to give you a jump. Had to replace battery twice within the first 5 years. The plastic components like inside driver door handle and steering wheel spokes are crap. The have a thin colored plastic coating on it that bubbles up and peels off. Was told it is the acid in my skin - first car ever that was allergic to me! On 05Aug15 I had the routine maintenance done. The warranty ran out 18Aug15, but I only had 86937 miles on the car. On 20Aug15 I break down on the side of the road with a trunk full of perishable groceries. Had to have it towed to dealership 50 miles away. Electronic water pump and thermostat needed to be replaced $1950. Picked up the car the next week and on the drive home the A/C went out. They picked up the car the next day, and it needed a new compressor at $3,000. Received the car two days later and now the passenger side electric mirror control is messed up. Run, honey, run!