Used 2006 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 BMW X5

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

very intriguing sav
By minghi

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased it exactly 15 months ago as a cpo with the 6yr/100k warranty but hardly ever needed it during the 30k i put on it. very few things have gone wrong like a minor rattle from the engine bay turning out to be a/c fan plastic clips and failed driver side window switch after i left it open in rain by mistake (my fault). dealer fixed both, no questions asked. other than that, its been excellent & trouble free and i've taken it on numerous long trips since i owned it. the interior comfort and materials fit & finish is top notch and exterior looks good too. I've the 3.0i which has excellent low end torque (take off) but OK highway torque (you need to step up to the bigger v8s for better)

i've the factory base model, no options other than auto transmission. i really didn't care for options as i need reliability more than anything else (i drove a 07 toyota prius before this and couldn't stand it anymore (boring)- but then it was 100% reliable for the 2yr/60k miles i owned it - i never ever took it to a dealer for anything other than oil changes) and i'm very happy to say that this cpo'd x5 has been super reliable too. I avoided the bigger v8s since i used to have a few bmw 7-ser v8s (2005/2008/2003) and there was always something wrong with the engines in them. Also, if you plan to get any bmw cpo, check the service records & certification report just to make sure they add up

lol, nothing can be improved now since its last year was '06 but i wish it had more trunk space and oh, the stock stereo/speakers sound like crap. maybe germans don't care about listening to music on the way to work but we do. i'll try getting the speakers changed sometime.

Bought Used
By Kyle Z

2006 BMW X5 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second BMW and my first second hand car. I was worried about the reliability of the X5 but it's been two years, 44,000 km and the car has been solid. I love the V8 in this bad boy. I just want anyone that may be second guessing about the reliability of the X5 to just go out and get it! No disappointments! I get great mileage on the car, around 600-650 km a tank. I drive about 65% HWY and 35% city.

Love the engine and the exterior/interior looks of the car.

Sound system can use some improvement (I do not have DSP).

BMW X5 Rocks!
By snife77

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW and after 3 months of research I bought this used X5 with almost all bells and whistles. Lot of heads turn when you drive around the town. The ride is phenomenal and feel the comfort immediately. Excellent safety features and you can see it immediately when you open the door which is HEAVY with plenty of steel bars inside. Though its a SUV it rides like a car and the performance is awesome and never felt this on any other SUV like ML or Lexus. BMW is a BMW and its King on the road!

Very smooth ride and the way it drives is amazing. It hugs the road nicely and built solid. - xenon lights - panoramic sunroof - heated seats, steering wheel - sun shades - nav system - integrated bluetooth phone - 12 way memory seats - headlight washers - safety - upgraded music system w/ woofer

The genius who designed to put the CD changer behind (and the cassette player is at front, any one uses cassettes any more?) should be fired if not already and BMW should hire a common sense person to put the CD changers at front. nav system could have been more intuitive

Pleasure to drive
By suzy

2006 BMW X5 4.8is 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 3rd BMW and my favorite. (also have a 318 and 540)This SAV handles like a dream, the rumble of the awesome 4.8 L is amazing to hear. And talk about fast, my 540 is fast it has a 4.4, but this thing is neck breaking quick! The tires on this thing are monsters, very intense looking, the interior is roomy and very comfy and well appointed, I just love this vehicle! I like the clam shell hatch, it is more functional then I thought it would be. The radio is fantastic, I find the on board computer/navigation easy to use, don't know why some people complain they must not be very smart! I have the LeMans blue, it is beautiful! If you want speed, beauty, comfort, and great handling, buy one!

Engine roar! It rides surprisingly smooth for an all sport car. The beige on black interior is beautiful and very comfy seats! The LeMans blue is eye catching, everyone compliments it. Pano roof is so cool, cup holders are awesome compared to my 540. Headlights are GREAT!

None so far, gas mileage stinks but if you are worried about that buy a prius. Headroom in rear is a little low for tall people, but the reclining rear seats help a little with that, and they are electric so its cool!

Muscle Car SUV
By Greens

2006 BMW X5 4.8is 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

My X5 4.8is truly combines luxury and sport. This car sounds like a Porsche 911 on the outside and like a Bentley on the inside. I don't need it for commuting so it gets to sleep in the garage most of the week. But when it is time to play, it is rested and ready. It hugs you and the road nicely. Although I have loved the X5 look for years, I never thought the 3.0 had enough kick so 355 hp was the perfect remedy. I'm not using it off- road but it will tow some toys. With 4 years and 45k miles I went ahead and purchased a 60 month 60k mile (additional)B-2-B warranty for $3k as I have heard that some of the regular repairs can get costly.

Look and feel. Big wheels and low profile tires 20". Rumbles when you start it up and punch it. Back seats recline - all seats heated. Huge moonroof. Handles great. 24 gallon gas tank - ave. 18 MPG around town. Blue tooth. Heavy doors makes it feel safe like a Panzer. Great crash test ratings.

Move the CD changer from the cargo area. Get rid of the cassette 'tape' player option.