Used 2003 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Most Helpful|
Quality with performance
By Ron S

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Having owned numerous SUVs the X5 is by far the best from the standpoint of comfort, performance, handling, looks and just plain fine workmanship. I believe that in order to appreciate this vehicle, you have to love a car that feels and handles like a sports car. Mine has the sport suspension which would not satisfy the meek or the comfort seekers from a standpoint of ride. But when it comes to performsnce and sheer fun driving a SUV, this is the car to own. It's almost as much fun as driving my C5, but not quite as fast. I talked my brother into test driving one, and the next thing I know is he owns one after being a Ford Explorer driver for many years. I would highly recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

The automatic transmission that adapts to your driving habits & the ability to use manual shift. The maneuverability & turning radius plus the comfort of the seats. It's not to massive it makes a great car for my wife and children to drive in knowing the car will respond and also be secure.

Suggested Improvements

Add a few creature comforts like auto door locks & lights.

X5 Review from Kenya
By James Wachira

2003 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love the vehicle. I imported from Singapore with 38000 Km on the odometer. I enjoy the car. However, I have experienced two problems that I have not been able to solve. One the radio/CD just went off whilst driving and havent been able to put it on since. Today I switched on the car and could not start, the computer display indicated code. A few times the boot has refused to open, but it would later open after a day or so, seems to be an electronic problem Can someone provide some solutions on this and share solutions if had experienced same thing. Unfortunately I dont have a manual for the car

Favorite Features

Steering wheel volume control. Seat memory. Radio/CD when it was working.

Suggested Improvements

Need a do it yourself kit especially to trouble shoot electronic failures

bmw x5
By bmwx10

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I await at least 30 commments about the this car being too heavy from the same folks to takeover any Camaro related thread whining about how they have to wait for the next gen car because the Camaro is 400lbs overweight. V8 powered coupes built on robust RWD platforms are not light- as evidences by the porky 4300lb curb weight of this 650i coupe. This is one of the best BMW i own, there is nothing i will change the only problem was the audio system but i was able to add an iPod interface made for Bmw AND PROBLEM SOLVE [non-permissible content removed]

Favorite Features

handling power leather seats

Suggested Improvements

audio system needs usb or iPhone input

Sports Car Performance, Business Require
By Art Lippois

2003 BMW X5 SUV 4.6is AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Want a car that takes you back to the muscle car power of the 60's, but with the comfort of a cadillac on long trips? Do you need a ride to comfortably take customers to sites both in urban and rural areas during all kinds of weather? Want the space to carry display items or large boxes for business? Do you have to travel 300 to 400 miles sometimes at night in unknown areas with little or no open gas stations because of the hour of your travel? Finally, do you want to have to use your cruise control because there is no way you can tell your speed without looking at the speedometer?If this sounds like a vehicle that fits your requirements, then the BMW X5 is for you. All class, all smiles.

Favorite Features

The smooth power of the engine and transmission. The range of the vehicle. The quiet responsive ride.

Suggested Improvements

Lower the price.

X5 Boy!!!
By X5 Boy!!!

2003 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my X5 as a certified Pre-Owned from my local BMW dealer. My X5 is my first BMW. I love the handling, acceleration and reliability. It is solid and safe on the road and at freeway speed. It has all the benifits that a brand new one would have. It comes with the 100,000 extended warranty and free maintenance service, so I pay nothing for all services. After the first three weeks of my purchase, I had problems with the lights in the dashboard and the transmission, so I took it for a free repair.

Favorite Features

Sports, premium, cold packages and loading board.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system that is comparable to the Nakamichi or Mark Levinson systems that Lexus has. Gas mileage is low. I get average of 16 mpg in city and 24 on freeway. The vehicle is heavy so low gas mileage is expected.