2003 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
2003 BMW X5 3.0i
By ppsnow on 10/06/11 08:02 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have this car for 3 months now and I put about 3000 miles including a trip to Myrtle Beach. I enjoy driving this car. My wife loves it and my son wants to drive anywhere we take this car! So far so good. MPG about 20 highway around 17 in the city. I expected better! The only despoilment is the stereo and the fading of all the readout on the instrument panel. For a 50K + car when new is a disappointment! Other then that I very happy with the car. No problems so far other replacing the rear window regulator in the first week! Very easy to do and I was done in 20 min. Shop around for parts. You will find big difference in money. As a used car and paying only 1/4 of original price is GOOD!

And they call it a truck
By clerario on 09/13/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my 03 X5. I take care of it like a baby and it takes care of me. I don't run up the mileage and relatively speaking it has.t cost too much to maintain. When something begins to go wrong I fix it and this minimizes major repair costs. I had a 4 year warranty and extended it 2 more years. The first 4 year warranty was great but the second 2 year warranty not so good. 3 items I am disappointed with would be the stereo (although it is better than my premium Honda sound), the digital reading on the dash board are beginning to go away and when I roll down the back window(s) and drive over 30 mph, the sound is deafening. Otherwise my BMW X5 runs like a top.

Mixed Review
By Volvosleeper on 05/20/10 05:53 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought used with 20,000 Miles, Loved appearance inside and out. Immediately noted the AM/FM reception in Northern Minnesota was the worst of my experience with over 30 vehicles. Dealer denied there was a problem in 3 visits. Finally told me "95% of owners don't listen to AM anyways". Communications with corporate BMW were very poor. The person in NJ was experienced at deflecting complaints, but knew little about cars. Twice had engine problems under warranty where car blew black smoke out of exhaust. Now at 95,000 the dash displays are missing some digits and the fix is too expensive. One Key Fob is dead and you can't fix yourself, wheels are corroded, dealer experience has been poor.

Mixed bag
By francious on 07/12/09 19:05 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Performance, appearance, gas mileage are all excellent. The interior trim is not holding up and the controls are terrible. AM radio reception is terrible and the controls on the steering wheel are much too complicated in comparison to the Mercedes and Honda I drive. Cruise Control has 4 buttons with symbols and must be actuated whenever you start the vehicle. The sound system has no dial to go from stations only a button to advance. I would never buy another BMW. I'll stick to Mercedes and Hondas. This is a fun to drive ride and it is a shame they let the little things get in the way of satisfaction for people like me.

X5 Boy!!!
By X5 Boy!!! on 05/29/08 23:07 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my X5 as a certified Pre-Owned from my local BMW dealer. My X5 is my first BMW. I love the handling, acceleration and reliability. It is solid and safe on the road and at freeway speed. It has all the benifits that a brand new one would have. It comes with the 100,000 extended warranty and free maintenance service, so I pay nothing for all services. After the first three weeks of my purchase, I had problems with the lights in the dashboard and the transmission, so I took it for a free repair.

X5 Review from Kenya
By James Wachira on 05/24/08 06:21 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love the vehicle. I imported from Singapore with 38000 Km on the odometer. I enjoy the car. However, I have experienced two problems that I have not been able to solve. One the radio/CD just went off whilst driving and havent been able to put it on since. Today I switched on the car and could not start, the computer display indicated code. A few times the boot has refused to open, but it would later open after a day or so, seems to be an electronic problem Can someone provide some solutions on this and share solutions if had experienced same thing. Unfortunately I dont have a manual for the car

2003 BMW X5
By autooracle on 04/18/08 11:03 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great car. Just normal wear and tear maintenenace issues. Handling is great. Yes it's an SUV, not a Porsche. Fuel economy is fine for what it is. Performance out of the 3.0 is all you would need unless you are towing.

Great design - poor build quality
By deniska on 02/12/08 12:41 PM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My X5 (2003, 3.0L V6) has been great for the first 2 years, but then literally started to fall apart. During the next 2 years I had ~45 visits to the certified dealers to repair constantly failing electrical equipment. Locks, censors, numerous bulbs, dash board panel, electrical mirrors, alarm system are just a few of the problems that the car had during 2 year period. All repairs were covered by warranty, but the car spent more than 60 days in repair shop. Finally I got tired of constant problems and sold it.

Fine tuning your X5 is an Art
By Jim Fischer on 11/12/07 03:12 AM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Ride quality with a 3.0 W/Sport. Bouncing of the ride is extremely annoying for the passengers and driver at factory settings. The tire air settings on the driver's side door do not represent the dynamics air pressure has on this vehichle at all. I have 255/55r/18" tires Michelin mxv M&S. Mileage was 13 mph to 18 at very best. I looked on the sidewall of the tire and a pressure of 51 lbs. I put in 47 lbs of pressure on all 4 tires. Ride is incredibly smooth, over bumps smooth freeway. The extra pressure gives the SAV 20.8 mpg aggressive driving all day long. 26 MPG @ 60 MPH with cruise. Much faster, better cornering. The solution to bounce. Start at 51 go dn 37p

BMW X5 3.0i
By Northeast on 01/28/07 06:09 AM (PST)

2003 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The SUV is very nice. Very comfortable and easy to drive. I have owned since new. Good build quality, many nice features. Operation has been trouble free. Ride is slightly "bouncy" on bumpy roads. Performance of engine is fine. I would recommend it.