Used 2001 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

2001 X5 Lemon?
By mikesheridan

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my 3.0 X5 since it was new and have had very many mechanical and electrical problems. Replaced every window regulator at least once. Cam shart position sensors replaced. Eats brakes. AC went out just as soon as the warranty was up. Wiring harness had to be replaced because the engine would stall in turns. Out of warranty repair even though BMW knew about the issue. The paint is peeling in places the sun doesn't shine. Not a joke, it is peeling between the doors, under the hood and in very, very strange places. Another issue BMW knew about but did nothing to let anyone know. I love it but can't afford it any longer. My next car??? Not a BMW!!

THE WORST SUV YOU WILL EVER BUY!!!
By Audra

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this SUV loved the design and it is a fun SUV to drive although the car is horrible. It has been in the shop for countless issues...which are major .. water pump went out had to be towed, radiator went out, numerous sensors that won't go off even after going to the shop for repair, engine misses at low speeds, the car is very unreliable and I do not feel safe driving it. I will never own another BMW ever! Too costly and not enough reliability. Constant headache of what's going to happen next. I have a huge folder of all it's repairs...that is ridiculous considering what I paid for it. I am selling it tomorrow hopefully the warning lights will stay off until then. DON'T BUY!

Favorite Features

nice design....

Suggested Improvements

better engine, better quality with less repairs!!!!!

Dinan Package is a Blast!!
By Seekrr

2001 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i AWD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Bought this X5 4.4 used, with 28K mi. and the Dinan package (throttle body, exhaust, 19" rims, etc) from an AZ reseller. Whoever traded this truck in was nuts! This one's for keeps. Performance is BMW-esque, suspension firm, but not harsh, and handling outshines most sports cars. And the Dinan package puts it in a league of its own. A note of caution: max out on an extended warranty. It will pay for itself. They just don't make 'em like they used to. Speaker grilles fall off, cup holders fail to close, electronic gremlins that you just learn to live with. If you live in good terrain where the roads are long, you'll love it for all the right reasons.

Favorite Features

Dinan Package spells Performance Distinctive Looks Precise Handling

Suggested Improvements

Get that non-ergonomic (but great sounding) radio and other electronics (like PDC) to be more reliable. I get frustrated in having to bring the vehicle in for such minor repairs. And why does every part have to be dealer- bought? My wipers don't perform right unless I purchase BMW blades!

Horrible Experience, I've only had it for 4 months
By carreviewer502

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had the car for about 4 months and I've experienced all types of problems. 1- both the driver and passenger doors have problems with the handles. The passenger door doesn't open from the outside and the driver door doesn't open from the inside. 2- The stabilizing system is ridiculously expensive to fix (about $800 depending on where you live) 3- When shifting gears, you can hear loud rattling sounds. Don't buy this car!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

everything

Best SUV ever!
By Montelimar

2001 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Definitely the best vehicle I ever had! No problems at all, just oil changes, brakes and tires. The engine's still strong and feels like it is still new.

Favorite Features

Performance and handling, nothing drives better than a BMW.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing!