Used 2006 Volvo XC90 SUV Consumer Reviews - 102 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific XC90 model:

Good Ride/Bad Mileage
By Bob Scruggs

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

My 2006 xc90 is my fourth Volvo, all bought used. They have all been excellent cars. The gas mileage of the first three has been acceptable. I was not prepared for the disastrous mileage of my xc90. It has a T-5 engine (five cylinder). My average mileage is 12.5 miles per gallon. It is obvious to me that I cannot keep this car. The comfort, style, and performance are outstanding, but I can't afford the mileage. I have done everything to put the car in tip-top shape, even the sparkplugs which cost $25 each. The motor performs well, and is extremely smooth. My only hope is that the software can be updated to give me better mileage. And this is more of a wish than a hope. No, I didn't do 'due diligence' when I bought this car, because of the great experience of my prior Volvos. I know I'll lose money trading, but I'll lose more money keeping this particular car. My wife and I are up in the years, and this was to be our last car; but it will be, I hope, our next to lat car. I can't wait to trade. I can get a luxury car with better mileage. But I will inquire about the software which might help the mileage before trading. A sad story ....

My dream car
By Denise

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Easy to maintain. Safest car I've ever own.

great car
By Andrea speer

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

It's with a heavy heart that I pass my car on to my son who needs it in college. This is been a great car, very comfortable, reliable and it's held up well over 10 years and three kids.

Only wish Volvo have not priced the new 2016 XC 90s so high. Had to move to Honda pilot.

Owned for 4 years - love it
By JimmB

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this vehicle at least 4 years ago. Love it. We'd get another one. I didn't rate it for maintenance cost as we really haven't ever had major maintenance issues beyond changing oil etc (we are just at 70K miles). At this point, we'd buy an updated version when this one wears out. The 2.5L Turbo engine has plenty of power for us.

xc90 work car
By Richard Fryman

2006 Volvo XC90 SUV 2.5T 4dr SUV (2.5L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought it mostly for work and trips to Florida. So far a great car, plenty of get up and go. The spacious interior and driver conforts were just what I was looking for.

Now I have put 60K miles on it, I still very much like this car. A few Maintenance issues that took i care of myself but most people would have taken to a shop.( Struts,brakes,timing Belt And Plugs\coil Packs)
At 156000 And Take It On Long Trips Frequently. Very Reliable And A Pleasure To Drive. Does Very Well In Snow.