Used 1995 Volvo 850 Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1995 Volvo 850

View reviews for a specific 850 model:

Best car I have ever owned
By schuckles

1995 Volvo 850 GLT 4dr Wagon

I bought my 850 used, the previous owner beat the crap out of it and I've been restoring it. My 850 lacks the turbo, it is a bit slow. However, the 5 cyl engine that Volvo used in this car is rock solid, it starts every time.

The car drives like a dream, it holds just about anything you can imagine, the MPG is nothing to write home about (avg 19.8 MPG). The gear shifter is a little notchy, requires a large throw. The odometer stopped working at 185k miles, but using the computer diag port, it's actually got 214k miles - the vehicle shows no sign of giving out - it just keeps going! The suspension and all wheel disc brakes give it a sporty edge, but the engine is under powered.

The climate control is a little weird, but it works well enough. The turning radius is crazy awesome, the brakes are great.

Wish the electronic seat was more reliable, wish the 5-speed manual came with a turbo.

Performance and reliability
By Richard Hendesron

1995 Volvo 850 T5R Turbo 4dr Sedan

Bought my t5-r in a snow storm . The seller sold it to me dirt cheap (only $1500). I've added suspension springs and sway bars. I've also upgraded the ecu and exhaust and turbo. This car eats up r/t chargers and most f-bodied V-8 GM cars. Very roomy but it drives so solid. I never expected this out of a Volvo. Fuel economy is good but not o.k. Pretty easy to work on if your not afraid to d.i.y. And to top it all off its a rare car. I love the feeling of smoking a STI or charger and the look on the faces. Yeah, you just got torched by a Volvo.

T-5 turbo engine. Overall vehicle dynamics. Ease of maintenance. Room of the interior.

If your a speed nut, then by all means upgrade the turbo and exhaust. There is a lot of power that can come from the e.c.u. too. Tires and springs and shocks, and way bars can also be upgraded.

Great Car, Few minor tweaks
By Clay

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Sedan

This volvo is my second car to own. Previously I had a unreliable Accord. My volvo is great, the turbo is a lot of fun, the stereo is great, performance is great. IT's a quite but fast car. My only issue is when you need a new part it's very pricy. Used turbo costs about 1,200 for full installation. I love this car.

Turbo... This car has a lot of different aspects from other cars. The door handles are unique, and the window and mirror controls are in the center. It's a neat design.

CUP HOLDERS... They are in a terrible place and can't even fit a 20oz in it. over all a great buy.

850 Turbo Wagon
By mreadygo

1995 Volvo 850 Turbo 4dr Wagon

Loved the car. With age certain aspects started to go. But took many long drives and got me home every time.

Handing, control and stability of driving. Loved all the room for travel and how the car compacted well

none

The Volvo 850 is the Best Car ever owned
By Deb A

1995 Volvo 850 4dr Sedan

My 850 has 220,000 miles as of Dec. 2009. Bought used in 1995 with 13,000 miles. In the 14 years I have owned this 850, I have only replaced the struts, shocks, stereo, and heating coil. I live in Colorado and commute an average of 105 miles daily. With snow tires she handles beautifully in winter. I also perform regular maintenance like clock work. After all these years...she is still running strong and still looks beautiful. Without a doubt, she is the best car by all accounts.

Move window switches are directly under cup holder in center console.