Used 2007 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews - 42 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Don't do it
By BT

2007 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Got this car from a friend for cheap, I thought, because the dealer didn't want this car with 150,000 miles. At $160,000 I am selling the car for parts. Two weeks ago I replaced the drive shaft, very common problem, expect to replace one every 50 to 60K miles. Last week I replaced the heater blower motor, ok I can accept that it failed with 160K miles. However, this week the engine was running poorly on my way home, 3 miles. Pulled the codes and found that I had a cam position error, this car has a chain not a belt, which should last at least 200K miles. Started the car in the morning and it was running fine. I got on the highway and got a low oil pressure, stop car immediately, warning on the dash. Towed to mechanic. Found that this car has problems with stretching timing chains, very common problem, expect to have on replaced before 180K miles. Problem is that the timing chain is at the back of the motor. Motor must be pulled to replace the chain $3000. This engine also has a problem with oil pumps, $1200. Car is now a throw away. Over the past year I have also had window switch problems, typical. Headlight intermittent issue, mechanic told me that he sees this on almost all of them, just hit it to have the light make contact. Rear window would not open, and rear window defroster would not work. Wiring harness was cut by the tailgate hinge, another common problem. By the way, VW is notorious for vacuum leak issues which will light the check engine light. Other than all of these very serious very common problems, its a great car, but you will have to change the brakes and tires often. STAY AWAY!!!!! Worst reliability of any car I ever owned.

Pos
By Jessie

2007 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Do not buy this broken brown more then driven lawn aorderment more then should be money pit lemon don't buy spend your money on something that's not a pit I put 10 miles on mine has not been on road for 3 mouths one part after another putting in ditch for free counting my losses

A Huge Money Sink
By Anon

2007 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI 4dr SUV AWD (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This car has cost me so much. Full synthetic oil changes, premium fuel (I average 17 mpg), and incredibly high maintenance cost. It's a very comfortable car but it's not worth the headaches and repairs. $300 for an O2 sensor, $900 for crank case vent valve, $373 for mass air flow sensor, and now the Cats need replacing....$1600.

Additionally, the value of Touaregs and Volkswagen in general have gone way down due to the emissions scandals--it makes no difference whether your vehicle is a TDI or not.

I ended up selling the car, taking out an unsecured loan to cover the negativity equity ($6200), and then purchased a Jeep. I haven't looked back.

I just lost $8000......
By T

2007 Volkswagen Touareg V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Don't get me wrong, I love this car. It drives great and is beautiful. But due to having a family of 5, two young hockey players, I had to get something bigger. Here's where I start to hate this car. I purchased it used just a year and a half ago for $21,000. I checked kbb and nada at the time and that was the value. I now owe the bank $18000. And the car is worth $10,000.....oh my lands! Never in my life have I been upside down in a loan. The car is in excellent condition and has half the miles it's supposed to, so how the heck did this happen?!!! I will never buy another vw for this reason.

Love this vehicle!!
By gobubba

2007 Volkswagen Touareg V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

We have the 2007 V8 with every option available.
Can't say enough about how much we love to own and drive it!
Where else can you get a "car" (remember it is a unibody) that tows nearly anything a person could want to tow. It weighs about the same as a Suburban or Tahoe, so the ride and handling are superb. The factory roof rails run the entire length of the roof which makes mounting boxes or a bike rack a breeze.
We bought a certified used Highlander prior to the Touareg and only owned it for two weeks before we forced the dealer to buy it back. The engine had what Toyota considers "normal" piston slap and the drivetrain whined like it was extremely worn out, also considered "normal".

Turning lights, adjustable interior footwell lighting, air conditioned (very cold) glove box that holds a bottle of wine, plastic front fenders, powerliftgate with remote control, offload nav screen that shows the direction of the front tires, interior bumper sensor lights, low range transfer case, air compressor with attachment to air up all 4 tires, loading suspension height that allows me to wash and dry the roof with out a step stool.

The only dealer in our town is completely incompetent. Never go to Dick Hanna VW in Vancouver WA. I cannot stress this enough, they are total crooks. VW is seriously limited their customer base by not correcting the issues with the management at Dick Hanna dealerships.