Used 2006 Volkswagen Touareg Consumer Reviews

Used Touareg for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...15

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

I don’t usually award 5 stars, so 4 is great

Jimmy W, 09/09/2018
V8 4dr SUV AWD (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

The quality feel of the car exceeds that of the Touareg of 2017; it’s a shame they won’t be built like this for the US market anymore. I haven’t had many problems except for drive shaft center support bearings (2 times), very expensive fix by dealer ($1,600) as are all regular maintenance and parts. Aftermarket has brand name parts much cheaper (about half price or less), but then you have to talk someone into installing them. With almost 160,000 miles from new and I still enjoy my Touareg a great deal! For the most part it has held up well, and I have learned how to play the maintenance game. Still looks and drives great; incredible all wheel drive! Weather cannot stop it, nor can most off road challenges.

2 out of 5 stars

Avoid Touareg

hman, 12/30/2006
V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This truck is a sluggish gas guzzler. It has a cheap build and the horrible VW dealer network that treats you like a pain instead of a customer. It looks great outside, but skimps on build quality. The interior finish looks great, but uses cheap materials. Stick to Toyota or if your ego demands, BMW X5 is amazing in comparison.

First time VW owner

jkhintx, 04/25/2011
V6 4dr SUV AWD (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Never thought I would own a VW. Always drove Honda or Nissan vehicles. I love my Touareg! It handles better than anything from Japan and it is sooo tight. I have 61K miles on it and I am putting brakes on now. Rotors all okay the way around and having a friend put pads and wire sensors on both axles. It always pays to have a good friend who is a mechanic.

5 out of 5 stars

TDI...Great Towing, Comfort & Power!

TJ, 03/28/2007
V10 TDI 4dr SUV AWD (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This is my second Touareg. The first was a fully loaded 2004 V8 which I really loved. It replaced my Range Rover Classic. Did everything the Rover did, for $20K less and towed better too. With 100K miles on the V8, I figured I would take advantage of the current discounts on the 06 TDI. The vehicle is identical except for DVD navigation on the new one and of course the V10 twin turbo diesel. The V8 was very fast, but this thing flies. Better yet is the fuel economy.

4.5 out of 5 stars

Replaced Cayenne S with V10 TDI

Lee, 07/07/2010
V10 TDI 4dr SUV AWD (4.9L 10cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

When our 2004 Cayenne S had nearly 100k miles, I bought a 2007 Dodge with 5.7 Hemi to tow with. After one off-ramp at the speed I considered normal in the Cayenne, the Dodge had completely spooked and disappointed me. I found a 2006 VW with 5.0 TDI and bought it with 29k miles. Very satisfied with it, especially mileage (15+ city, 23+ Hwy, 19.0 overall, and 14.3 towing a 5800 lb race car trailer!) Also, it had air suspension that hadn't been available in the Cayenne S when we bought it. Very good. Finally, backup camera is wonderful! Can hook up trailer on first try. Only negatives. The Nav system is pitiful, and no tire pressure monitor in this one. Audio good, not great.

12345...15