Used 2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews - 582 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Touareg model:

Don't buy a Touareg!
By Sad VW owner

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

This car has fuel line issues and recalls for fire hazard. NIGHTMARE electrical system and ridiculous anti-theft! Anyone who steals this POS would bring that back! I am only reviewing this car to SAVE YOU an absurd amount of tears and frustration!!! Volkswagens are the worst cars to buy. Save yourself...buy anything GM like I used to til I had a VERY temporary brain-art.

I wish!
By Greg Cate

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Amazing SUV, I would love to own several for my whole family!

Like a pretty woman - with serious mental issues
By rob worth

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V6 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 6A)

Bought this used about 2 months ago - 79k, $5500.. It seemed like a great deal for a $35k suv. Acceleration / Transmission seem to not "communicate" with each other. I do not know if it wants to go or slow down. There is a disconnect between what the driver whats to do, and what the car actually does. I took it in for a tune up- as i do w/ all my used cars. $500- not too bad. Then some drive shaft support broke, $500 more. Ok- I usually plan on putting double into what I pay for a used car- hey, they are used.. but, little things are starting to pop up. Like mentioned by other users. This reminds me of my old BMW X5 - MONEY PIT waiting to happen. I will probably try to broom it onto some other unsuspecting person, that did not do their homework, like i did not do mine. I think I an just going to stick with Subarus now.. Well built, and few issues.

Just hand over your paycheck
By ProudYotaownernow

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

This was a beautiful car, fun to drive until it had issues. You need deep pockets and a love for VW to repair this thing. I feel once the first thing went wrong it fell apart. I should have listened to my mechanic and avoided this vehicle. I was told this was the worst model made. I felt compelled to let others buyers know, it's not worth the head ache. Buyer beware. Look at another vehicle if you know what is best for you.

wish i had read this first
By C R Carter

2004 Volkswagen Touareg SUV V8 AWD 4dr SUV (4.2L 8cyl 6A)

Recently bought a 2004 Touareg with just over 100k miles, and against my better judgement, did not do my due dilligence in having a used vehicle checked out. And oh boy am I paying the price for that. Hands down DO NOT PURCHASE WITHOUT CHECKING WITH CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN FIRST FIRST FIRSt. Now , to be totally fair, I do believe the one I had purchased most likely wasn't kept up according to manufacturer suggestions. Just don't think that you're going to be buying a reliable japanese car. I mean, it's big and solid, didn't show signs of any leaks, no out of the ordinary noises, that was only for one day. The very next day, all HELL broke loose. Car stopped on me 3 times within 10 miles, then the very next day, quit on me completely on side of the road with my kids aboard at night. So the saying BUYER BEWARE, applies to this model