Skip to main content

2.13 out of 5 stars

Consumes Oil

pnwislander, 04/16/2014
SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

This is the first vehicle I have ever owned where I have to put in a quart of oil every 1,000 miles or the oil light will come on and the manufacturer considers that normal. There are other things that seemed minor, like side door catching etc. But all of the sudden after hitting 30,000 miles to have to start putting in a quart of oil every 1,000 miles (now at 45,000 miles) just seems ridiculous to be considered normal. Our other car is a VW Golf that we love ,and the Routan is just an all around disappointment. Wishing we had bought the Honda or Toyata minivan instead.

5 out of 5 stars

i love this minivan since i buy it

Deisi Morales, 09/26/2015
updated 05/04/2020
SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

i love my minivan great space nice to ride so far i don't have no mechanical problems but i have a recall about the ignition switch since then twice a week every time wen i start the van all the dash board lights go off like crazy i have to turn it off get the key out open the door and keep trying until it works fine other than that its a good vehicle

2009 Routan Nightmare!

Riri, 02/08/2016
updated 02/08/2017
SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

I was excited to buy my 1st VW, but sadly lost all trust in VW shortly after owning a Routan. The Routan is very unsafe to be on the road. Corporate doesn't stand behind their poorly made products, and this minivan has broke me due to constant major monthly repairs. Most repairs have involved the braking system (replaced master cylinder twice, abs unit & flushed brake line). Wheel barrings all needed replacement & problems with engine (censor replaced & another major part that I forget what it was now..I've lost track at this point). In the last 2 1/2 years it's required 11 major repairs that have cost me over $6,400! It's the most Ridiculous & UNSAFE vehicle I've ever owned! I can't wait to get out from owning a VW.

3 out of 5 stars
4 out of 5 stars

1.38 out of 5 stars

Do not buy a Routan!

Jweldon, 08/05/2010
SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Never buy one of these cars. A complete waste of money. The vehicle is unsafe and a hazard to your family. One of our children has actually gotten his head trapped in the sliding door b/c they do not work properly, they open and close on their own! VW does not care. We have had the car in for service too many times to count. It is there right now and I do not want to bring it home. I miss my Honda Pilot. This car is a nightmare.

4.63 out of 5 stars

Great Family friendly Vehicle

Anthony, 04/20/2009
SE 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Having 2 small kids, and the endless stuff that goes with them, i knew the days of non-mini van ownership were numbered. I drove the Grand caravan and was very impressed with the engine and transmission performance, Loved the conveniences of all the interior cubbies and storage compartments. I feel that VW addresses the ONLY downfall of chrysler, and thats its interior design. VW nailed the dash setup, the softtouch material looks and feels great. this van is HUGE! with the 3rd row seats folded, i can roll in strollers and bikes and still have room for the weeks groceries. the 3 year maintenance is a great relief. gas Mileage is outstanding!!, im getting 25.1 Highway (62mph)