Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

designed like a mtd yardman lawn mower
By 123madella

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i think the same people designed my mtd lawn mower. there idea was how bad a design flaw can we make so it will definately break. then all parts around that area will break as you work on it.

What a great ride ...
By needaname

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

... unfortunately, ​I am afraid after my insurance looks at my rear ended Beetle it may be totaled due to the cost of repairing my beloved Beetle. This is the second time in the 17 years I have owned my Beetle that it has been hit. I know they are expensive to repair. The first rear end occurred when a texting driver crashed into the rear end at 40 mph. I wasn't hurt as the seats absorbed all of the impact but it was expensive to repair. I am 5'3.5" inches and I found the entry and exit of the Beetle excellent though I have taller friends that have complained. I found that to be an advantage as they would not be willing to drive the car since they had to put their hands on the ground to exit. However - anyone and everyone who has ever driven a turbo Beetle will tell you how much FUN FUN FUN this car is.

The porsche of the middle class, the 2001 vw Beetle Vortex Blue Edition.
By vortexblue2001

Purchased this Beetle in 2006 with 216,000 thousand miles. Now has 255,000 thousand miles. When i purchased the car it needed many things like 4 coils, 4 spark plugs, all the filters,brakes, etc. Basically a a deep regular maintenance. I spend about 1,500 hundred dollars which included the parts and labor to put it up to speed, of course i did not take it to the dealership otherwise labor alone will had cost me 1,500. After that never had a problem with it. I replace the water pump and timing belt 3years ago so i have another 60,000 miles more to go. The Beetle has a ( 5- speed manual transmision) thats one of the reasons the car has lasted this long.This car is a good car if you service it.

Well i will say that everything the car comes with is just exactly what it needs. The Beetle best feature it is the 1.8 engine with the 5 speed manual transmission that comes with it, gives me about 25 mpg city and 35 hwy. It is a fast car that responds very well, fun to drive. The color on my Beetle is also a limited edition color named Vortex Blue with only 2,500 made worlwide. Also comes with leather, sunroof/moonroof, all power options, heated seats and much more features. I almost forgot that it has a rear spoiler that lifts up when your speed is over 90 mph. which is dificult to accomplish in U.S. due to the speed limit. I call this car the porsche of the middle class.

I will had put a six speed manual instead of the five speed manual.

Never ever again will I buy a VW (any)
By davemoon22

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLX 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

1st Beelte had a bunch of issues (a/c, batteries would never last over a few months, oil leaking - had to do a major repair, then sold it).
Second, a 2001 with 70k, has had more issues than I can possibly recall. I must have spent over 7k withing a 9 month period. Ridiculous. The major problem I have is with the dealerships. They'll diagnose something is wrong, you get that done, the car still has the same issue and then they will tell you "Oh, well, then, it must be something else"
Replace driver's seatbelt buckle, both windows regulators, cam shaft adjuster, turn signal relay, inner tie rods, valve cover gasket, pcv hose, door latch and list goes on: all major $$$ repairs.

Constantly breaks down
By chvie06

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Hatchback GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

After owning this car for about 2 years, it started giving me problems. I spent over 2,000 dollars within 2 months on repairs before finally getting rid of it. I had to get 2 new batteries (the first one only lasted a year), new alternator, new valves and hoses, turbo cut off valve, battery fuse panel, alternator harness, ball joints, shocks, and new brakes and tires (brakes and tires were understandable, though).
Right before I got rid of it, it wouldn't accelerate and wouldn't exceed 5 mph.
The sealed system was also frustrating because you couldn't do simple tasks like refill the brake fluid by yourself. You have to take it in to a VW shop and pay for everything.