Used 2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

designed like a mtd yardman lawn mower
By 123madella

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

i think the same people designed my mtd lawn mower. there idea was how bad a design flaw can we make so it will definately break. then all parts around that area will break as you work on it.

What a great ride ...
By needaname

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

... unfortunately, ​I am afraid after my insurance looks at my rear ended Beetle it may be totaled due to the cost of repairing my beloved Beetle. This is the second time in the 17 years I have owned my Beetle that it has been hit. I know they are expensive to repair. The first rear end occurred when a texting driver crashed into the rear end at 40 mph. I wasn't hurt as the seats absorbed all of the impact but it was expensive to repair. I am 5'3.5" inches and I found the entry and exit of the Beetle excellent though I have taller friends that have complained. I found that to be an advantage as they would not be willing to drive the car since they had to put their hands on the ground to exit. However - anyone and everyone who has ever driven a turbo Beetle will tell you how much FUN FUN FUN this car is.

Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance
By johnnygeneric

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I've enjoyed the heck out of this car. I would not hesitate to buy a new one. In fact, we are becoming a VW family. We bought my wife a 2015 Passat. It would have been a Beetle but the Passat was rated as very quiet, which was her #1 criteria.

But, having said that, if you don't maintain the car, it will fail you. The 2001 model has lots of misgivings. Stay on top of the maintenance and fix things when they break. And you will be happy with the car.

The mileage is probably the best thing about the car. I manage to get 46MPG on the superhighway. I'm amazed that some get 50 mpg!! When you press the accelerator, there is absolutely no hesitation like with gasoline engines. You really feel you're in control - nothing between you and the engine.

Yes...the cup holders are a curse. - more durable plastic parts that resist heat better.

My Bug
By kay burges

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

327,000. Miles running strong yes you definiately have to stay on top of maintaining your bug just like anything you own and when in need of replacing something inside that has broken , ebay is your best option if your a do it yourself person but overall I love my bug 49 mpg on this economy it's the bomb diddley

Diesel turbo it moves when needed

Interior plastic

Over 315,000 miles and still getting 49.5mpg!
By twincitytdiguy

2001 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

I bought this TDI Beetle from a customer at 300K. He had it from new. The car is in great overall condition, original clutch, rustfree, and still gets an amazing 49.5 mpg highway at 78mph in the summer. I bought the car a little over 4 months ago and managed to put on 15,000 miles. I go where I want. I am not afraid to take this car across the country, I am planning a trip to Florida in the spring for some baseball action. Very fun car to drive. Gotta go with the folks upset by the cupholders. They seem to be an after thought. Germans can't understand why we drink beverages in our cars. If you are a taller person, I'm 6'7", This car has a lot of room. I can nearly straighten my left leg.