2018 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Not different than 2016
By Aleks

2018 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T S 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Very uncomfortable and not fun to drive in the city. Transmission is acting slippery. Trunk is very low. As always horrible resale value. Cruise control won’t hold downhill (be careful!) buy used Jetta 3016 or 2017 and save $10K

A zippy sports sedan without a high price tag
By LF

2018 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T SE Sport 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I LOVE my new 2018 Jetta. I have the Sports model and I could not be happier with it. I have been a loyal VW driver for 18 years and this car does not disappoint.The exterior is so slick looking and eye catching. I love the way it gets looks when I am driving and the "invitation" to "race" from much more expensive cars, has me gleeful every time.. The interior is also quite sleek. The black headliner and all black interior is so sexy. The driver's seat fits me and is comfortable, unlike the seats in the 2015 Golf (my previous car). The infotainment center has undergone a huge upgrade and it is so easy to use, practical and fun. There are not a lot of bells and whistles but I don't need them. The only things I miss from my Golf are the sunshade extenders and having air/heat vents in the back seat. Why aren't there any there? I think this is a major design flaw. I also wish the stereo was heftier. The speakers are already in need of some tune up and it has only been a month. I am enjoying the more comfortable ride of the Jetta. It is smooth and responsive. It feels like it is "floating" over the road in a good way. The acceleration is quick (but not as zippy as the Golf) and the car feels heavy and safe. I am getting used to the keyless entry. I don't love that ....and I am so happy to have the ENORMOUS trunk. I adore this car. I look forward to (hopefully) many years of fun and safe driving.

Fantastic
By William

2018 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T S 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is our third Jetta since 2014, all 5sp manual. The 2014 was very roomy, comfortable, reliable. The 2.0 engine was underpowered and poor fuel economy (26 avg), but great budget car. We then bought a new 2016 jetta S. The 1.4 turbo engine and gearing changes made this car perfect. Plenty of power and avg 36mpg. A tree fell on the car and forced another purchase. The 2017 was identical, with addition of LED daytime running lights. We get 36mpg city and 42mpg highway. The best part is we bought the last two in mid July, they were on sale for $13,000. Last year I rented a Chevrolet Malibu for a 1400 mile drive in 2 days. Mpg was 35 and very uncomfortable. I just made a 2 day 1400 mile drive in the Jetta, 42mpg and plenty comfortable. Love this car.

A pleasant surprise
By Bill H

2018 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T SE 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I owned a 2016 Tiguan before purchasing the Jetta SE. I am not a fan of SUVS, but I purchased the Tiguan because my wife wanted it. After much discussion she agreed to purchasing the Jetta. She misses the extra height of the Tiguan, but that is about it. When I took the Jetta out for a test drive, I expected the 1.4liter engine to be a slug. I was very surprised that it felt peppier than the 2 liter Tiguan. I would guess that the 800 lb weight advantage and less turbo lag is the reason. Also, the transmission shifts faster than the Tiguan. I was also a little hesitant about the quality because of what I read about cars coming from Mexico. The new 72,000 mile 6 year warranty made me believe that VW must have changed something to be able to offer this warranty. Actually, the car is truly Multi National. It is designed in Germany, Engine is built in Germany, the Transmission is built in Japan, Misc parts are built in Mexico and the car is assembled in Canada. Around town I average around 30mpg. I live in the Tampa Bay area, and we just went to Daytona Beach which is around 135 miles. I averaged 41.5 mpg. Because of the way the car handled, and how comfortable the seats are, I wasn't a bit tired of driving the Jetta. It does ride firm, so if you are from a state with bumpy roads, you may want to buy the Passat instead.

The second one was not a charm...
By Randy G

2018 Volkswagen Jetta 1.4T SE 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I just sold my 2013 Jetta SE with 124,000 mile and purchased a 2018 Jetta SE. The different between 2013 & 2018 are night and day when comes to quality, performance and ride. The 2018 has come down in all three - quality, ride and performance. When it comes to assuming things don't, I figured the 2018 Jetta would be as good or better than the 2013 and I made a big mistake for that assumption. They are not the same car and will never be, if you like a ho-hum mediocre car than the 2018 Jetta is for you. I do have to say the price was right at $19,754 and 1.9% for the 2018 Jetta SE, the warranty seems to be one of the best on the market at 60 mo/72k miles but overall I should have look further before I made the purchase.