Used 2013 Volkswagen Golf Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Golf for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
4.88 out of 5 stars

2013 Volkswagen Golf TDI w/ DSG automatic

dak971, 02/18/2014
2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I just purchased the vehicle and love it! The car is extremely fun to drive. One of the main reasons was the TDI option providing over 42+ MPG which is just phenom. I was used to getting about 17Mpg-23Mpg at best in a previous vehicle. Time to go more economical and practical. The car is 4 doors and White. Looks just sweet and awesome. Really a fun car and there are so many pluses about this model.

4.75 out of 5 stars

Room for the Linebacker

rbthatcherjr, 04/03/2014
2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback w/Sunroof, Navigation (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I purchased this VW Golf TDI in Jacksonville, FL in May 2013 after driving it and inspecting it on a hydraulic rack in dealer's garage. It drives exceptionally well as it exudes this rock-solid feel of German build-quality as well as the odd diesel clatter. The comforts are spartan, but there is more than enough head and leg room for me and my friends. After driving it 11k and experiencing the good dealer support for the car at Osteen VW, I would highly recommend the VW Golf TDI based upon its performance, price, and apparent quality.

4.25 out of 5 stars

Does What You Need

bigal11, 11/01/2014
2.0L TDI 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

34K miles. I love the agility and solid planted feel of this car. Made in Munich, much more substantial feel than my '12 Jetta. Great power delivery. Average 40mpg. Gets 48 @65, 39 @ 80, 36 in town. Prefer these cloth seats to Jetta's "pleather". I have little to complain about except this DSG tranny. My wife thinks it is unsafe, and I can't argue much. There's a 1-2 second lag before anything happens at takeoff which really throws your timing off compared to anything else you've driven. Also, Beware!! the $500+ tranny service every 40k miles. I really regret this purchase and would gladly trade it for the 6sp.

4.38 out of 5 stars

Extremely Reliable

David Kay, 03/31/2015
2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I own a 2013 Golf TDI. Bought it in Jan. 2014 with 9,000 miles. It's now March 2015. I have put about 13,000 miles on it in that time. Not one service call. Not one single issue. Not one broken part. Not one headache. Not one single problem. (i sure hope I don't jinx myself). The car just works and goes and goes. The car is well built. Super quality and tremendous build quality. Not one single nightmare, not one single issue. Nothing. The car just works. Its such a pleasure to drive. I'm 6'1 about 250lbs and was considering on bumping up to the Touareg TDI , but I am so scared because this car just doesn't have any issues. Super happy with this vehicle. Highly recommend.

4 out of 5 stars

Everything was going OK until.....

jemartin928@gmail.com, 05/17/2016
2.0L TDI 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6AM)

I really liked this car, aside from some minor annoyances - silver tab on vent falling off and disappearing, knob to adjust mirror breaking off. Until I had a big issue that pretty much led to me having to get rid of it. I noticed in February of this year that my car had condensation on the insides of the windows... I was perplexed how there was moisture inside my car, but we had some rainy days so I attributed it to that. Fast forward to a weekend when my boyfriend tells me my car smells funny. I agreed it did smell a little, but blamed it on my pugs etc. Arriving at our destination he starts trying to find the source, upon lifting up my floor mats he finds that the right side floor boards are SOAKED. I'm in shock, thinking it was from recently getting my car detailed etc. Come to find out over the next two weeks and two trips to VW my sunroof drains are directing water - not outside my car - but directly into my car. My car started smelling like a disgusting swamp. The first trip they say they cleared them should be good - but they can't help me get the water out that is now pooling in half my car. "they don't do that". I take it to a detailer who tells me the whole carpet needs to be pulled out and replaced. I'll spare you the rest of this story but it's a smelly nightmare. Ultimately I get a new carpet and it still has a smell - I realize - now there is some water showing up under my spare tire, under the trunk. No clue where this is coming from. VW says the drains are clear. Needless to say I had this car for 3 years and just traded it in this weekend, it's given me so much anxiety in the last few months. VW states they cleared the drains on my 40K mileage per the handbook - but it wasn't on my print out... GET YOUR SUNROOF DRAINS CHECKED. This could happen to you!