Used 1999 Volkswagen Golf Hatchback Consumer Reviews

$767 - $1,794

Used Golf for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

1999 Volkswagen Golf

Curt, 02/22/2006

I love VW. The Golf / GTI are my favorite modelss. This 2.0L GL is decent at 115hp and zips me from place to place with great fuel economy. I bought it used from a dealership and got hosed by them. Within first week motor mount broke and they wouldn't pick up the bill. Oh well, after that it has been smooth sailing. I am very happy with this car's ride comfort and handling. I love to weave through traffic in my VW hatchbacks.

A TRUE VOLKSWAGEN LOVER

TJMCKAY, 09/05/2003

You must be a true volkswagen lover to appreciate the smooth ride, great mileage, "too cool" exterior, and ample space this car provides! This was my 1st car and I still love it like as if I just brought it yesterday. It has never been in the shop for repairs! With the exception of a loose knob to adjust the passenger seat - my Golf is still delivering outstanding reliability and quality service.

Nice Grocery Getter

mark, 02/20/2007

We have had this car going on three years now and the problems seem to have leveled off. I have never seen a car with so many electrical failures and they keep happening, all of the power windows, power locks, brake light assemblies, window wipers selector switch just about any electrical assembly has failed in this car and when I tell VW about the problems they say "well it is 5 years old" I had a 16 year old accord with none of these problems. I have noticed now that people have similar problems with even the new ones. I have to say we are very disappointed and would not recommend buying one

VW Automatic - gas hog

Ted C., 08/22/2005

Great vehicle, but with an automatic transmission it's a gas hog. My average highway mileage is only 28.8 MPG. I've had a few tanks in the low 30's MPG. The city mileage is around 20 MPG. I've had it checked by a garage twice and they didn't find anything wrong. Had it into a VW dealer once for another problem and the representative didn't think that 28.8 MPG for highway mileage for an automatic was out of line.

It's a Lemon

Golf is a Lemon, 09/14/2006

My 1999 Golf was a lemon from when I bought it. Since that time the window has fallen out twice, I have spent more than $1,000 trying to get the air conditioner fixed, and $300 fixing the wind shield wiper system. Other things that have broken include the review view mirror, the radio, the glove compartment, the stick shift, the rear seat lock and the electrical system. It appears that most things are held together with plastic reflecting its Mexican assembly. I would not recommend this car to anyone unless they are a mechanic and will never buy a Volkswagen again.

Great First Car!!

Nick , 03/31/2009

I got this Golf 2 door as my first car, and so far I love it! It is sporty and small, but roomy inside. Mine is dark blue with tinted windows, and that adds to the sporty look. I especially like the 5 speed manual! The manual is fun to drive, and gets you better gas mileage. Other than a quirky keyless entry system that randomly stopped and started working, the car is perfect with 90,000 miles on it.

Do not buy this car

drs, 06/11/2002

This is one of the worst cars (new or used) that I have ever owned. It has suffered from numerous repairs and dealer service is absolutely horrible. I have owned many VWs and I would now avoid a new one at all costs.

Good Good

Dubber, 10/23/2002

I bought a used 1999 golf GLS for me this car is exellent. I have no problems performance wise. There are a few minor problems such as the rear winshield wiper acts funny and some others but nothing crucial. This car is very fun to drive.

The Golf is a

Logan's Dad, 11/06/2002

I am very happy with my Golf. I bought it used with only 7500 miles back in 2000. The fuel economy is top notch. The looks are very stylish (especially when clean). When the back sets are down, it has a huge cargo area. I even used it to pick up a recliner from the furniture store! The only problems I have been having are the "check engine" light has come on 3 times in the almost 3 years I have owned it. Nothing major..just goes with the territory of owning a car, so I won't complain. VW service is very reliable and customer friendly. I would definitely get another VW (hopefully a Passat..if I win the lottery).

4 years later....

RyanM, 07/31/2002

I've owned the car for four years, and while it did have some initial quality issues (paneling falling off, malfunctioning instrument cluster) it has remained a fairly reliable car. The Wolfsburg is packed with all the gadgets (sunroof, power everything, CD changer, etc.) and I've had only one problem with these - that being a rear window that would stick. Overall, I would say that this car has been worth what I paid for it. Nothing more. Fortunately, and for whatever reason, they have a good resale value.

51050