Used 2006 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 237 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Not the truck i hoped and payed for
By John H

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

As we all know Toyota Tacomas are very expensive in comparison to their domestic counterparts. You're hoping they give u at least 200k. Bought this truck brand new with 26 miles. I commute nearly 350 miles every 2 days. I changed both the oil and filter every 3,000 with Toyota's recommended oil, flushed the trans every 45k and had the rear end done every 50k. Cooling system at 65k and again at 118k. With 121,450 miles my 2.7L seized. Not what I expected. Toyota said at 120k it should be ready for an overhaul. Engine sludge. OK? I thought they lasted. My wife's 05 FX4 f150 has 188k on original drivetrain along with my 97 Jeep 4.0 with 294k on the original engine. Should have spent money elsewhere.

24 mpg on the highway... which wasn't all that hot... nice interior quality, decent factory composite bed.

Reliability, longevity... better engines, more rear seat room, better towing capability. A 2500 pound trailer nearly sacked my truck. Had better luck with my 85 Toyota pickup and 97 Tacoma SR5. Truck is not up to par. Domestics outlast them today.

paint!
By Mike

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Use the truck only for recreation; road trips to races, tailgating, a few cross-country road trips. I'm 6'5" and have plenty of legroom. Firm but comfortable ride, hiway mileage is acceptable. Have an automatic tranny and quickly learned to keep the truck in 4th in hill county. 5 speeds are nice for flatland mileage but it constantly shifts between 4th and 5th in hilly country. Only major complaint is that the paint is junk. "Impulse red" looks great but it chips if you look at it wrong. I've seen this complaint from other reviewers so I'm far from alone. Never, ever had a vehicle that chipped so easily. If it weren't for this I'd rate the truck as far and away the best in class.

Mechanical build quality, interior room, performance, ride, appearance.

Toyota needs to improve the quality of the paint big time. I love the truck but spend a lot of time with touch-up paint. I don't drive the truck off-road nor use it for commercial purposes. No excuse for the paint chipping so easily.

Oh What a Feeling!
By TNRiverjet

2006 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck as a demo with 8K miles. I now have 82K plus in about two years and it is still ticking strong. I do find the seats uncomfortable for long road trips, but every other part of interior design and layout is perfect. Storage is excellent. I had the rear leaf TSB performed to replace the original springs. The new 4 leaf springs handle weight much better than stock. I use Michelin LTX AT tires. This truck rides and drives like a car! It is sporty, powerful, nimble. It is also easy to maneuver in parking lots/garages and around town. Service has been minimum/standard and I have had no warranty issues. The transmission seems to seek gears esp. around 40 mph.

110v power outlet in bed. Bed tiedowns. composite bed, crew cab, storage behind rear seats. tow package is worth the $$ with an extremely stout 2" receiver hitch. Fuel mileage (as recorded per every fillup) is avg. 20-21 over 82K mi.

bluetooth, sunroof, sliding rear window like fullsize Tundra, more weight carrying capacity, more bulletproof transmission, locking tailgate

2006 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
By SR5

2006 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

It took a while to get used to the truck's dimensions. Steering is very responsive. Steering seemed quite free on freeway, like truck wasn't LOCKED into lane. Ride is smooth, great shocks. Brakes are light, not sensitive. Quite a bit of outside noise even with windows up. Can be difficult at times to see cars in blindspots. Great on rough or dirt-roads. Went deep into the forest, made my own road. Like I listed above, 86,000 miles on an '06 Tacoma. I'm on the same brakes, plugs, clutch, and feel I can reach 100,000 b4 any changes. Needed new set of tires at 60k and a wheel alignment. Got rear ended right rear corner, pretty hard, things did not shatter just bent (STRONG) no frame damage.

Abundance of cupholders. Bed railings very useful. Bed compartments. Storage under the flip down rear seats. Bed has bolted down liner. Auto-shut off lights when key removed & driver opens door. Gotta love its 9 cupholders. clutchless start option. Deep center console. Good sound & bass.

Make it easier to see blindspots. Reverse camera would help. Can't really think of more things. This is a truck. It maintained more of what a truck is, rather than becoming some gadget savvy vehicle with no muscle.

Should not have to get special Warranty
By otherland

2006 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD LB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drive the hell out of this truck. Not too many complaints. Does a funny thing at stops, acts like it wants to keep going even though I have my foot on the brake. Almost feels like someone bumps you from behind. Compass/temp gauge went out and the airbag sensor lights stayed on was covered by warranty do not think this should be happening to a new truck. Have not had time to find out how much the Compass/temp gauge is going to cost. But as a rule it runs a lot better than the other truck I owned

The body style it really has a lot of class

Fix all the little stuff like sensor lights, compass and gauges and the sound system. I purchased all the options on this truck these little things should not go out for the price it cost. Please check the braking system