Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab Consumer Reviews - 103 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Bad Frame from Toyota
By Martin Wheelock

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck used and was the second owner. This 2004 model unbeknownst to me had a recall for a poor frame quality. A local Toyota dealer ship even had it on a hoist shortly after I bought it to fix the spare tire mechanism and did not mention that I should have the frame treated (which was Toyota's fix for the frame rot) Now in 2018 with the frame rotted out on both sides I had to junk the truck out to a salvage company as it was deemed unsafe to drive. Toyota will not stand behind their product and will not compensate me in any way because I missed the cut off for the recall, which I did not receive any notices for.

Taco life
By Danny

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Never look back. Great truck for the money.

Best pickup you could buy in the USA
By Nick Christov

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab S-Runner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

This is really great example of a 2004 Toyota Tacoma S-Runner, V6, 3.4L engine and 5-speed manual transmission. I have one 1997 Chevy 1500, V6, 4.3L engine and automatic transmission, and I had 1999 Ford 150, V8, 5.4L engine and automatic transmission. Without any doubt the Toyota is on the top! I couldn't find enough good words to tell how well this pickup has been made back in 2004 in Japan....the highest Japanese quality! I would like to say that there is one thing I don't like....not only on my Toyota, but on all vehicles, made for the US market, and this thing is....a microswitch for the clutch pedal....to start the engine. I'm 69 years old, and since I was 16 years young boy, I used to drive vehicles with manual transmission. I have never put the stick in first gear or reverse....only in "NEUTRAL", so first thing I did was to take that switch off and put it in the garbage. There is one thing I like, but....it is NOT in the right place....the clock. If some one is so stupid to put the stick in first gear and start the car....he will wreck his car even with this switch anyway....sooner or later.

2004 Tacoma V6, Auto, 4WD, SR5 Trim, TRD Off Road
By Mike

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Original and only owner. For 12 years of ownership, it has been as reliable as I could ask with normal maintenance. The engine is insane, still has get up and go. Have 196,000 miles, 85% highway miles. I have received offers to sell at gas stations and the dealers frown because they know my 1st gen Toyota will be tough to beat with any newer models being made. I owned Olds and Chevys before my Toyota. When I hit 110,000 miles on them I was putting hundreds into them every year to keep them going, giving up at 130,000 miles. My Toyota breezed past 130,000 miles no problems whatsoever, none. You get what you pay for. The truck is a moving house. After paying it off years ago, I have done collateral loans to make it thru tough times. Time and time again the banks ask me the usual questions. When they find out I own a Toyota Tacoma, they basically grab the paperwork and tell me to sign. The word on the street; as with the reviews on here, Toyota and Tacoma, hand in hand, is quality and reliability at its best.

Luv my Toyota
By Dan Ross

2004 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab PreRunner V6 Rwd SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased truck at All Star Toyota - BTR. The truck developed an intermittent miss in the engine and the truck was still under warranty. The treatment I received from the service department was poor at best. They treated me like I was an idiot. The other Toyota dealer treated me fine.