Used 1998 Toyota Tacoma Extended Cab Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Tacoma for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

still going

headhunter130, 01/04/2013

My truck has over 357,000 miles and has been through it.

Taco

Alan, 07/19/2007

I really enjoy my truck! I have 217,000 miles and will run it for as long as I can. Only major repair was the water pump. Still running original fuel filter, drum brakes, AC, plug wires. It drives like new and does not burn any oil. You cannot beat Toyota quality and this truck proves that.

Bullet Proof

taco ma, 02/13/2010

Remember the old advertisement when the Tacoma gets hit by a meteor, then drives out of the crater?? It's a bit of an exaggeration, but not much... I just went over 200,000 miles and it is still going strong. Only problem ever was a starter. Puts all Chevy's or Ford's to shame.

Excellent

Helen, 03/25/2007

We have 220K and still going with no major repairs, just the basics.

One of the toughest trucks in the world.

Eugene, 08/12/2007

I wanted an old Toyota truck ever since I went on a missions trip to Haiti a few years ago. The roads were so bad and the people were so poor there, that the only vehicles that survived were the old Toyota trucks. I bought one with 118k miles, and it has about 150k so far. The truck has been reliable, except it ran poorly for a while due to the timing belt slipping a few teeth. I blame the Toyota dealer, because they replaced the timing belt and water pump right after I got the truck. Now, I do all my own maintenance, and I hope to drive it 300k miles before any major overhaul is needed. There is no rust on the body yet. I get about 21 mpg on the highway, and it has a lot of torque.

Bulletproof Pickup

srsage107, 09/10/2014

I have owned my 98 Tacoma for nearly a decade now. The truck is running 238k miles and the last California smog it had last year, it passed with flying colors. The mechanic was not surprised in the least that with all of the regular normal maintenance I do, that the Tacoma was still passing smog like it had at 5k miles. In the entire time I have owned my Tacoma, I have only replaced the battery once, the water pump and radiator at 220k miles and the alternator at 200k miles. I use only genuine Toyota parts. This truck has hauled boats, motorcycles, sand, cement, u-hauls and still sparkles like the day it came out of the factory and has not lost any power over the years. Solid truck!

Tacoma 4X4

blootnik, 04/13/2002

Overall it is a very reliable vehicle. Except for routine maintenence, it has not had any major problems or repairs. For a V6, it has enough pep, but being a truck, it isn't geared like a sports car either. I sold my Camry when I bought this Tacoma, and have no regrets. Sure, it doesn't ride like the Camry, but then again, I don't expect it to!

Totally Toyota Family

dagger101, 06/13/2002

Absolutely perfect in every way! I purchased this with 52K miles on it a year ago. Not a squeak or rattle in it! Could have bought a new bare boned domestic for about the same money but have no regrets! I own this, my daughter has a Celica, my father owns a Tundra, my mother has a RAV 4 and we just bought a 2002 Camry last weekend. Boy does our salesman love us!

Still going

GJ, 06/15/2010

I have owned this truck for nearly eleven years. I have had to replace the starter and the catalytic converter. Just replaced the shocks, struts and front brake pads yesterday. The AC is still strong and overall the vehicle runs great. Mainly, I have only had to do the regular maintenance. It has only been back to the dealer once to replace a faulty sensor in the first few months that I owned it. I bought this because of Toyota's reputation and have not been disappointed in any way.

I Love My Little Truck

Adam, 07/13/2010

Great truck. I haven't had one problem with the engine. In 4 years i have gotten in a few fender benders and broken windshield, but have not had to touch the engine. I get 23 MPG religiously. I have moved dirt bikes, furniture, and a piano!

Great 4-wheeler and commuter truck

RMORTON, 09/25/2002

I've tested my truck on 4-wheel roads up in Colorado each of the last 5 summers. It's handles the worst roads up there like a champ and doesn't appear to be affected by high elevation at all (unlike my Fords - boo, hiss!!). It's also my commuter car here in town and has been incredibly reliable. The tight body construction is terrific, especially considering the off-roading I've done (careful offroading, though - I don't bounce it all over the place).

Its A Toyota

kvnh2os, 12/13/2002

I have been happy with my 98 2DR XCab 2WD. I wanted the 4WD, just too pricey. I would not use 4WD but maybe 5-6 times a year. Even though its 2WD, its still a Toyota. I have taken it places that Jeep Grand Cherokee's won't go. All in all, its a great truck. The only real complaint I would have is the front end of the truck looks ugly to me. Not as well styled as other model years.

perfect for my purposes

jim scott, 02/18/2005

Reliable, economical, and nice looking; it's all I might ask from a little truck, and I'm a little disappointed Toyota has "sexed it up" with the 2005 model year. Mine has 90000 miles on it and still has my complete confidence. Only gripe? 42 foot turning circle makes some U turns problematic.

1998 4x4 Tacoma

steve, 07/26/2005

I bought this truck new in 98 and have never had any problems. Only expenses have been reg maint and gas. In the snow this veh is unstoppable. Best truck I have ever owned. The 2.7 4 cyl is a little low on power, but has never really been a problem. I always average about 20 mpg. After 155,000 trouble free miles I would only replace it with another identical Tacoma.

Great Reliability

Simon Palmer, 04/07/2006

Have 107,000 miles on it and runs flawlessly. 70 mile daily roundtrip in mostly stop-and-go traffic is no problem. Versatile.

Its a Toyota

eric, 04/21/2006

Great small truck, much better gas milage than my previous Toyota V6 4x4. Also seems to have more power (not for towing though). Only complaints are seats lack padding, and turning radius could be tighter. A limited slip differential would be nice, but overall I am very satisfied with this truck and I have owned 5 different Toyotas and Nissans

It's a Toyota

odelrio, 04/22/2003

Excellent truck, sturdier and more power than the Nissan and Ford counterparts. 6 yrs and 68k miles later, I have no regrets spending a little more for a Toyota. I expect this truck to be in the family for years to come. If I were to find flaw in anything it would be the stock goodyear tires (rear traction in the wet was very difficult) and the ride is a bit too harsh for my liking (typical truck ride).

Great truck!

Bill, 05/23/2007

As original owner and the sole driver of this vehicle for 210,000 miles, this is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Considering buying another one, but I'll hold on to the old truck to drive to keep miles down on the new one! Not tons of power, but great for hauling light stuff, moving, landscaping, etc.

Very dependable

Randy, 02/12/2018
SR5 2dr Extended Cab SB

Very great auto. Never had an issue with my 98 taco. Only sold it bcuz I needed the extra room only a 4 door could provide due to family growth. Loved it so much I bought a 4 door sr5

1998 Tacoma SR5 V6 4x4

objwiz, 06/18/2002

I really like it. I do with the interior was more "exciting" as its really blah. And the cup holders are in wierd positions. Strong V6. I've towed and hauled with it and experience was great.

4x2 4 cyc ext cab sr5

16yeartoyotafan, 05/16/2002

My Toyota has been great. I purchased it new. It goes to the dealer for regular maintenance, it has been to the dealer once for a CHECK ENGINE light, which apparently was my fault for adding a K&N air filter, which the dealer suggested I remove. I did, no trouble since. It has 58k miles on it, still runs and looks like the day I bought it.I avg. 22/29 mpg.

Solid

PR TAcoma, 07/23/2009

Bought my PreRunner SR5 V6 XtraCab new in fall of '98 and it still runs like a champ. It's only got 127k on it and had no major work done (tires, a few batteries, ac fan/resistor, starter contacts -- that's it). Considering how neglectful I've been, it's run great. I've taken it on several long road trips and moved across the country with a full bed, but not towing anything, and it's not missed a beat. City mileage is not that good at around about 12-15 depending on the temp and red lights. Have gotten it up past 24 on mountain highways, and currently am getting about 18/city keeping the engine under 2000 RPM when possible. Stinks in snow without modifications is the worse of it.

Truck'n awsome

dave, 05/22/2010

This truck is rock solid and a blast to drive. It's like a sports car with a truck body. The sr5 v6 is a performance machine. It's a little thirsty though. Fun comes with a price. Can't wait to but my next. If I live that long.

i like it

jone, 07/15/2002

excellent, it is a great truck on the road and for long trips, excellent off road the locking rear diff is great

1998 tacoma 4x4

Mikep, 08/03/2002

Greatest truck I have ever had. It does not even know what the word stuck means!!!!!!!!

Sandy

sandydianna, 10/18/2002

truck runs well color black with cloth

0-60 of 9 seconds

PiNa, 10/20/2002

I think this truck is fun to drive, all though a little small on the inside, but it's fun to take on the highway, and smoke all the kids with there beaters, and civics.....in my opinion the truck is fast, out of the slow car category (weighing 3360)

No Problem

Mike P, 08/14/2005

Hands down, this was the BEST truck I ever owned. I had 180,000 miles on it (with the original clutch) before I unfortunately lost my truck in an accident. The truck ran great, I easily would have gotten 250,000- 300,000 miles. It never let me down, not once. I had that thing up to 4 ft of snow, and it handled great. I had the SR5 V6 extended cab. Gas mileage was aprox. 22 mpg This truck easily beats any midsize truck any other manufacturer could make.

Why I love my truck

onebxr, 03/04/2003

I love this truck. The only thing that I wish that I had known before buying this truck was that if you are going up hill against the wind there will be problems. Not enough power with the 4 cyl. Next Tacoma I get will definitely be a 6.

Love this truck!!!

ellster003, 02/22/2004

My Truck is great, Very reliabily. It tows my boat, my 6x12 Trailer with atv's and I've never had a problem..If your looking for a truck with good gas mileage, great looks and will get you about anywhere, then the tacoma is for you......

tacoma

Daniel, 04/08/2006

My mom bought this truck brand new in 1998. She gave it to me my freshman yr of high school which was 2000. I have put 90,000 miles since i got it, and now it has 150,000 and the engine has never been touched. I have added lift and performance parts and accessories and it looks sharp. I tow my boat and cattle trailers with ease. I recommend this pick up to everyone.

PreRunning Fun

Saint79, 03/12/2004

I love this truck! I can site many incidents where it has out performed and out lasted many of my friends trucks. This truck is a powerhouse!

Nice Truck

steve44, 05/03/2004

Great truck! Knocks the shine off anything Ford or Chevy ever turned out.

great truck

mattw, 08/27/2004

This truck is a great truck! It handles great, for a truck and the reliability is awesome. Absolutely no problems other than brakes and regular maintanance. The V6 is very strong. Not geared like a car but has plenty of power. I think it tows a full 5000 lbs. I've overloaded the truck and it still pulls strong.

GOOD RELIABLE TRUCK

DRUIZ, 08/26/2004

ONLY MINOR MAINTENANCE TYPE MECHANICAL PROBLEMS

Great example of Toyota quality

RandyH, 10/24/2004

I bought my truck at 73k miles. It now has 168,300 and runs just as well as it did the day I bought it. I did however have a major breakdown at 90k miles. The tensioner arm pulley and the water pump pulley had both frozen up. The fix which included a new OEM waterpump, timing belt, thermostat, tensioner pulley and radiator fluid cost me over $700. Fortunately this is a non interference engine so there was no further damage. Aside from this one problem the truck has run flawlessly. I get better than expected gas mileage (22MPG average, mostly highway)The window sticker says 16 city, 19 highway but Ive never seen numbers that low out of my truck.

Taco Bell wishes they were this good!!

Ry, 03/10/2005

This is a great vehicle. 144,567 miles and still running like a clock. Advice to everyone that reads this spend a little extra and get a toyota. Chevy and ford cant compete with the reliabilty of this truck.!!! only maintenance was done on this engine.Timing belt!!!

Taco Pancake

Debbie Dooner, 03/14/2003

I had a 98 Tacoma 4wd xtra cab. I skid on ice at about 45 mph, went off road, took down two 8" diam trees, bounced, rolled 1.25x into a ditch, not very steep incline, about 5-6'ditch. Totaled. I had a slight brush burn on my left ear and sore muscles on the sides of my neck. I am, remarkably, okay. The seatbelt held me in like a carnaval ride. Although, I can't help but wish that I hadn't Bounced and rolled in the first place. If you look at the accident scene, it seems odd that I rolled. I bought an '89 in '00. Had an electrical sensor problem, window came off track, and was replaced. Has 100,000 miles on it.

Love this truck!

sunshine, 10/23/2006

This truck has been a pleasure and a joy to own and drive. It has taken me to Alaska and back, survived many outdoor excursions and has safely gotten me home in many ice and snow storms. I have always felt safe in my truck. I have transported much cargo and two dogs. Life is good with this excellent vehicle. My husband has one too. I will 100% buy another!! Toyota rocks. Can't wait for the hybrid full size.

toyota tacoma

vince kinast, 01/18/2007

Simply put... worth every cent. I've got 234,000 miles on a V6 4x4 with zero breakdowns.

Great Truck

TSH, 04/22/2003

I have had excellent luck with this truck. It is my third 4x4, and frankly it blows away the both the Ford and Jeep I had before. It pulls like a tractor and is fun to drive. The 6 offers plenty of power and it handles well even at highway speeds. One upgrade that paid off big was sound insulation. If you're into stereo, the dynamat is a must...

Best of the trucks

jbi, 05/26/2003

Great overall truck!! Crash tested twice and walked away unharmed both times. Would buy again.

the yota

nic burt, 09/10/2015
2dr Extended Cab SB

14 years 285k miles. Best truck ever. Only thing I have ever replaced was idol air control valve. But never stranded me. Just idoled a little rough lol took this truck everywhere in some rough situations. My kids are 5 years old aandwill drive this truck when they turn 16

Happy it is in Demand!

Bob Harvey, 03/17/2017
SR5 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Have several offers for it above "Edmunds Values." Several are willing to pay $1,000 to $2000 above "blue book rated value"... Soon as I get a few projects done with its functionality, "Show me the MONEY!"

Still running strong at 305,000!

Martin, 09/01/2019
SR5 V6 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The only mechanical breakdown I had with this truck was one failed fuel injector and a failed O2 sensor.

A TRUCK TO OWN FOR LIFE!

Robert B, 10/28/2019
Limited 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Purchase my 1998 Tacoma Limited 4x4 extended cab manual V6 new right off the Toyota showroom floor. It has 184,000 miles and runs just like the day I bought it. Never had a problem with it mechanically. I would say it’s been the perfect truck for me. Always offers to buy it.

51050