Used 2002 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Toyota Prius Consumer Reviews

Base 1.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (79 reviews )

Fabulous
By Rina Gene

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I am not knowledgeable about cars, not at all. I bought this car 10 years ago, with 160,000 miles on it. I've replaced or refurbished the hybrid battery twice. Some other part had to be replaced, some sensor. As a single parent, I took my child everywhere without a worry. Other than routine maintenance, it hasn't required anything else until recently. It now has over 360,000 miles on it and sadly, it is time to buy another car, simply because so much is age worn and will likely become problematic. There is some issue with melted wires impeding the computer receiving accurate information regarding the hybrid battery, so the bells and whistles come on when in fact nothing is really wrong.

Excellent car and minimal repair costs
By Jacob

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have owned Prii all my life and have learned to work on them myself. The cars are immaculate in terms of just about everything. But do remember- this is a car from 2002 and will have different interior and what not from cars today. The first generation Prii are just about as good as you can get. Over the 2 I have had, I constantly average about 48 MPG. 44 @ 70+, 55 @ 55+, 55 @ 30-55 MPH. The headlights do SUCK on these! But that is nothing that cannot be fixed with about $30, Amazon, and something called XENON headlights that will light up the road. Costs $30 and takes about 20 minutes to set up. I want to make something clear to those who say the repair costs are tremendous: you are wrong! If the main hybrid battery were to fail, the cost is NOT $2000+. I repair 2000-2009 Prius hybrid batteries as a side job all the time. I personally buy working used batteries with less than 120k miles on the for between $200 and $500 and it takes less than an HOUR to replace yourself or if you find a shop, or if you chose to have someone replace it, then expect around $300 to install. On average I charge $700 to replace the hybrid battery completely- that's the cost of EVERYTHING. If you want a new battery and want Toyota to install it personally, then of course expect a couple thousand- what did you expect for a car that was $20,000 when it first came out? That's like buying a brand new engine from GMC when your head gasket goes out. I mean seriously? Use your brain! Not only this, but the hybrid battery almost never fails entirely- it is usually a couple of cells which cost less than $40 and I charge less than $70 each to replace. Shop around at your local shop, replacing the battery is actually simple. For those of you who are willing to learn, look a video on youtube of how to change a prius hybrid battery. My first time took me 50 minutes. Takes about a full hour after you put extra features that will protect the newly installed battery. Not only this, but you can RECYCLE the bad battery for about $150 and that's the price I buy the bad batteries at(which can be repaired by simply replacing cells). I also drive this car on average around 40,000 miles a year because I travel so often. This is a review from someone who not only has 3 total cars that are 1st-3rd generation Prii and not a single other type of car and who works on them and learned by himself. For those who do not know, 1st generation= 1997-2003(1997-1999 Japan only), 2nd generation= 2004-200, 3rd generation= 2010-2015 :). And an extra note- I buy my Prii on Craigslist and generally get them with less than 140k miles for under $1,900.

15 years and still going
By Bill A

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car used in 2009 from the state motor pool with 95,000 miles. It has now gone 155,000 and it is still getting 44 mpg on the highway. Since buying it it is has only done 40 mpg in town. I've replaced ball joints, rear shocks, rear bearings, small battery, fan belt and the steering rack (a free recall). The fluids have all been replaced and the A/C was recharged once. Dash lights are starting to burn out and it cost me $85 to replace the green headlight on indicator. So far this is the best little car I've owned in my 73 years of life. Now if it will just run another couple of years until the tires wear out.

Beware old Hybrid Battery
By ihtsjnellay

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought this car used at a dealership and they checked everything else EXCEPT for the hybrid battery. Being a hybrid, and having 2 batteries could be a nightmare waiting to happen. I used it for 2 days and the 2nd day, on the way home from work on the freeway my car had stopped accelerating. The main battery light came up and I had to stop on the side of the road to start it up again. This happened 3 times, and I only live 10 mins away from my work. The cost to replace an old hybrid battery is 3000 for parts and 2000 for labor. BEWARE. Only the new Prius' are reliable considering this is the earliest of models.

109,300 miles, 11 years - reliable, but not as long lasting as other Toyota cars
By techguy5

2002 Toyota Prius 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have had this car since 2004 CPO buy -- early adopter on hybrid technology. Excellent reliability, with caveats. MPG ranged from 45 to 50 MPG in the first 4-5 years -- huge money saver for someone commuting in heavy Los Angeles traffic. Main hybrid battery replaced under warranty around 80K just under 10 year warranty; again replaced battery around 90K after replacement battery saw failed battery cell (replaced by Toyota out of warranty, no charge, for failure analysis @ factory). Currently getting 39 to 45 MPG -- but have had an unexplained failure to start. No other major repairs. Great car, but don't think will get it to the 250K+ you can get from other non-hybrid Toyotas.

MPG still better than most out there. Very reliable until end of main battery life.

Main battery very pricey if/when it fails. Limited cargo capacity and weight capacity. Low clearance especially on rough/dirt roads.