Used 2005 Toyota Matrix Wagon Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Matrix for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Amazing Toyota product

Becerro, 10/26/2015
XR Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

It's a toyota,great car we have 230,000 miles and still putting mileson it,just oil changes and brake pads,that's. It.

a reliable, versatile and cost effective car

Mark Daniel, 02/06/2018
Fwd 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've now had my Toyota Matrix for 12+ years, after buying it brand new back in the summer of 2005, and it has ended up being one of the best cars I've had yet. It has been very reliable overall, with the usual periodic maintenance you might expect. I've been regular and consistent with changing the oil and fluids approx. every 5,000 miles and I'm sure that has helped. This car has also been very fuel efficient for both highway and city driving. I could often get 300+ miles on a full tank. My only complaint with this car is that it doesn't always have a lot of power or acceleration, but that's the obvious trade off for this type of car. You're not buying a car like this to win any street races. I think the best feature is the amount of cargo space. If you fold down the back seats and the front passenger seat, you can fit an incredible amount of stuff in here. This makes it an ideal car for long road trips or even on moving day. The Toyota Matrix is a solid, dependable, versatile and economical car that, if you take care of it, will serve you well for many years.

Great Car

Greg, 07/05/2008

This may be the best car I've ever owned. Very well designed from an ergonomic standpoint. I now have 147000 miles on it and haven't spent a nickel on it for maintenance beyond the obvious (oil changes, brakes, tires and the like). I check my gas mileage at every fill-up, that being my "thing," and get 30mpg if I have been throwing caution to the wind, and upwards to 33 mpg if I slow down; most of my driving is on the highway. It isn't the quietest car I have been in but it is comfortable. I do find I have to be quite careful to look backwards for a blind spot. However in this age of craving hybrids, this is a great car with the standard internal combustion engine.

new owner

NLS, 08/16/2005

Love how it handles, and how it looks! It is so much fun to drive you forget its a sensible car! And with seats folded down, it holds a lot!!

Sporty car for year-round fun

dennyvibes, 01/11/2011

I have had my Matrix for 6 years in March 2011. I bought it specifically for the all-wheel drive needed for New England winters. The Matrix never gets stuck in the snow, though the standard tires are slippery and you have to drive slowly to keep from skidding in turns, and make sure not to stop too suddenly. It's possible getting standard all-season tires instead of the sportier ones will remedy that. I LOVE driving my Matrix on beaches, sand dunes, and any off-roading I can get. It's so much fun! It holds its own with any 4X4 truck for any typical rugged fun. I just got into an accident in snow on an unplowed road, at a sharp curve, doing down a steep hill. My Matrix kept me safe and sound!

Peppy little car

threesa, 09/01/2011

I bought my 2005 Matrix new and have been pretty satisfied with it. It's comfortable (even for passengers), spacious, reliable, and quite peppy. This car is not 4-wheel drive but it easily climbs dirt roads in the mountains. Probably the only fault with it is it doesn't handle inclement weather well at all (I live in the mountains so this posed a serious problem with the snow). I eventually had to put some sandbags down on the passenger foot areas to provide additional weight. Since my usual passengers are 3 dogs, this hasn't encumbered them but, for older children or adults sitting in the back, this would most likely be quite uncomfortable.

The Matrix shines in winter time!

Kim, 12/19/2008

I've had it for a year and a half and it has been great, especially in the winter time. In the snow, I rarely spin my tires on a steep driveway or at a stop sign on an incline. The car has great control overall. I've never felt safer in a car before. My passengers feel safe too. I recently heard this car gets the highest marks for side-impact collision. I'd believe it! You just feel taken care of inside. The only downer is that I have to replace a rear hub bearing now not even at 100,000. That was unexpected and will be pricey. Rumors of a previous recall for this model are out there, but who knows. And no warranty will cover it now. You may want to research that issue.

Lexus for the Matrix - Very Happy!

MarkZ, 08/09/2005

Traded in my RX300 for the XR and couldn't be happier. My gas gauge doesn't plummet anymore and I can turn on a dime. Not as luxurious (wife misses heated seats) but love the sporty 5spd manual drive (flashback to my '88 Prelude days). Lots of room for my band equipment and baby on the way. Like the RX, the hatch can hold a lot. Just picked up a massage chair - to the surprise of the staff it slipped right in. Way to go Toyota. Matrix joins my Toyota family of a '97 Previa that I love just as much.

I love my matrix

WEEEEEE!!, 08/05/2008

This car has been great it has never failed me once. The design is simple and easy to use. I love the power the 1.8 4 banger motor makes. It's awesome I had my matrix xrs at 140 mph (on a closed track of course). I bought this car coming from a Mercedes Benz and this car has been better. There is no traction control or stability control which is ok because you can throw this car where ever you want. It's so fun to drive I love it.

Great car for tall people

HL, 09/29/2009

Have 90,000 miles on this car and love it. Drove cross-country with 6'5" husband and had plenty of space for us and other large items. Mileage more than 36 mi/gal. Thanks.

Love this car

Ray Edwards, 08/21/2005

I bought this car for my wife and bought a second for my son. Both cars have the craftsmanship that you expect from Toyota.The interior is much roomier than you would expect from a car that is built on Corolla specs. With the seats folded down, my son can easily fit his road bike inside without removing the front tire. The vehicle gets very good gas mileage (recently on a highway trip we got 32 mpg). Many people stop us and ask about the car, and we always give rave reviews.

love It

XRauto, 09/05/2005

Overall this is a great car. I would buy another in an instant. I would suggest a few changes to toyota but other wise they got it dead on right.

Fantastic!

foxxy1, 10/09/2006

I just bought the car yesterday and I love it. It's very roomy; big enough to fit my 6"4 father and two small nephews. The handling is great and the gas mileage is so far so good! A very pleasant surprise! Highly recommend!

Great! Until 100K...

mocondo, 08/02/2012

I have been a big fan of this car since I bought it new seven years ago. I bought the 5-speed manual base line model. And for the first 100K, the only thing I had to replace were the usual things - tires, battery, brake pads, clutch (in that order). In fact, the clutch didn't start to go until I cleared 110K, and I do a lot of city driving. But. In the last six months, the car has just started falling apart. First the clutch, then the parking brake (twice), the struts, the suspension system, the air conditioner is leaking... I've put more money into this car in the last three months than I did the whole rest of the time I've owned it.

No Highway Cruiser

Ron Fielding, 12/04/2008

I bought this car for a winter traveler. It has proven to not be suitable for that. The AWD is great, it corners like a go cart, but the tiny gas tank is a pain. It goes pretty far on the first half of the gauge, but look for a station because you can almost see the level drop the second half. The engine is too small for the weight, so it it buzzy on the highway, and the mileage suffers if you push it on the hills. It does low thirties around town, but has gotten just over twenty, one tank, on the highway. That was in the mountains, and running the 75 limit. My wife is the primary driver when we don't travel, and she won't let me trade it for something else.

Expensive repairs

A.Barnett, 06/29/2006

I switched from SUVs to this car for fuel economy. It is fun to drive, but repairs are costly. Air conditioner repair was over $1000 and the brake rotors warped at 39000 miles -another $550. Toyota acknowledges no responsibility. This is my last Toyota.

Enter The Matrix

ANGWX, 04/15/2005

A MATRIX is a compromise, especially for me. I'm an SUV guy in a $2/gal world. With that in mind, I commend Toyota for building sich a fine, cool, LARGE interior non-wagon wagon that allows a guy's guy to drive it.

Spunky car

cmpchicky, 06/29/2005

The XRS model is good for those who love to drive. The fuel economy can be better - it requires fuel with octanes of 91 or higher. It could hurt the wallet if you drive a lot. Otherwise, i love it.

Fun to drive

grannyjo, 07/12/2004

Sporty and fun. Lots of interior room. Plenty of room to move things. Both back seats and passenger seat fold down to allow carrying misc. cargo. Passenger seat folds down to provide a table for backseat passenger. Plenty of leg and head room. Hatchback is convenient and cargo cover provides privacy. Average gas mileage is 33 mpg- -I drive mostly highway miles. I have owned car for 1 month and I have yet to regret purchase. Insurance is reasonable, also.

A Car for all Seasons

New Englander, 07/17/2005

Having recently moved from Manhattan, where I spent my entire adult life, I was completely overwhelmed about the car choices before me. I researched virtually every model of every make of every 2005 car. What did I end up choosing? The Toyota Matrix. First off, I loved the styling. It's got a very Eurosmart kind of feel to it. Secondly, although the 4WD does not get the kind of mileage that the FWD manual does, it is still efficient. Thirdly, I can pack virtually anything into Trixie. Not only that but the multiple folding seat options, various cargo nets and tie-downs rock. The 4WD worked beautifully on those snowy days, yet she's petite enough to park on tiny NYC streets.

Mainly happy

GMcGuire, 11/11/2006

I've been mainly happy, when you treat the thing like a motorcycle and bang off the redline at 6,000 rpm in 1st thru 3rd it works not too badly. Engine slow idle is a bit lumpy, and it lacks a bit of power with the a/c on. Absolutely must have 4 good snow tires installed, it's very light and it steps around quite a bit even on wet pavement. Great gas mileage, lots of room and functionality.

Awesome Car

mumbulo, 01/16/2007

This car is great. I love being able to fold down the seats (I think my Matrix actually fits more than my pick-up truck bed). The car is comfortable, great fuel economy and very roomy for a car of its size. The only real complaint that I have is that the tires that Toyota puts on are crap (noisy, very slippery in inclement conditions, and are already cracking with 26,000 miles on the car) but that should be remedied when we replace them. Great car, great value, would definitely recommend.

Biggest Little Car in Town!

fb, 05/07/2007

Terrific car. I've fit sheet rock and lumber, furniture, and my critters (3 dogs and 2 cats) in this car with plenty of room to spare.

Money well spent!

Glen Frizzell, 05/16/2007

It's almost as fun as my MR2, cooler than a minivan, slowly chews the dinosaurs (gas), is functional inside and people love my indigo ink exterior. We've owned 2 other Toyota vehicles over the last 20 years - my wife and I put over 500,000 miles (not kilometres) on both and spent just under $900.00 Canadian total in unexpected (not routine maintenance) cost between them!

Needs work

meg, 09/03/2009

Has been very reliable, gas mileage could def. be better for such a small vehicle. Family of four is comfortable on short travel, bit cramped in long travel. Does have good capacity in hatch to carry things. Many issues with interior, but none mechanically. Very loud street noise and is very rough ride as all Toyota's are in my opinion. Overall have 80,000 miles on it and going strong! No mechanical issues what so ever. Tires were replaced within 1st year. All cars should be standard equipped with back window wiper as it is a huge danger to not have one like me! It stays filthy because of design and mix filth with fog or rain and no wiper and you got problems! Dependability you can't beat!

I love my Toyota

Robert, 05/15/2010

I have now over 186,000 miles and the only major expense I had was brakes and tires and the rest was just periodic oil changes. I drive this car for work and pleasure. Let me tell you, aside from the so so fuel economy, this is a car that does everything and never lets me down.

why toyota why

ctmatrix, 04/13/2012

Toyota 5 speed matrix owner--- this car is a great care and i will miss her.This toyota is going on her second transmission at 160k, one trans came with the car the second one came from toyata parts dept new. Toyota says no know problems with 5/speed they must not look online,or why do they stock so many in the wharehouse if there is no problem. I can see clutch problems from many driving styles but the trans imploding and the clutch and p plate and throwout bearing are still fine. Toyota you are on your way to being GM---we do not know anything about your problem. The matrix is a great car buy the automatic-- Toyata will not stand behind the 5/speed Car will go 300k or 3 5/speeds why

I love my Matrix

Matrix one, 03/30/2009

I purchased (ordered) the manual transmission - I love 5 speeds. I love my Matrix because it can carry so much. I went from a pick-up to this and I can still haul a lot of materials. I love the drive, the seats all go down and I like that the back is plastic. I don't even use the cargo net and rear cover but they are nice features. It is very comfortable and I love all the little storage places on the dash board.

Small car with big feel

ckp, 12/21/2006

I bought this car to save money on gas over my F-150 4x4. The mileage is great at between 29-32 MPG city driving back and forth to work. I'm 6'5" and am amazed at how comfortably I fit into it. It's a very reliable car, in 18 months, I have had no problems. I change the oil and put gas in it. The interior is awesome with multiple seat configurations when I need space. The outlet in the dash is cool, as are all of the other features I have (premium sound, 17" wheels, sun roof, cruise and A/C). With the 5 speed, it runs very well (not a race car), to include highway traffic with the A/C on - no problems!

This is our LAST Toyota

Nita, 04/28/2008

We've always owned Toyotas, but the flimsy interior and easily scratchable exterior have convinced me to look elsewhere. I hate the plastic in the cargo area because it cracks and breaks. Our '89 Corolla looked much better inside and out after 16 years than this hunk of cheap junk does after 3 years. Toyota should be ashamed of itself for making this crummy product. I also dislike the engine hesitation, the whistling wind from the closed front passenger window, and the way the electronic window controls broke for no discernible reason.

1.8 Auto FWD

gordon k laurie, 07/27/2009

Have 109k km (now 2009). Very functional, mechanically very sound, and will be difficult to replace. Watch the blind spots (thick windshield posts, small mirrors). Factory tires plain dangerous on wet/slush/snow. Road noise is high (even with undercoating). Single disk CD had to be replaced (jumped tracks). Sluggish initial acceleration but o.k. at highway speed (to be expected for 1.8). Signal light doesn't cancel with less than full turns (nuisance).

2005 toyota matrix ( caa)

clay adams, 04/26/2008

Interior road noise, brakes squeak, brake pads wear out. Outside mirrors are a little too small. Seats are a little too low sitting

Good little car

Mike St-Pierre, 12/16/2007

Good little car, only a couple small complaints. The fan belt squeaks in damp weather (replaced it twice). And the rear tires seem to wear down very fast. Very easy to get in or out,large cargo area. Fuel mileage not too bad. Getting about 33 mpg on highway.

I still love this car!

Vickie, 07/18/2008

I bought this car brand new in 2005 and 3 years later I still love this car! It's roomy, drives smooth and is cute! This car is very reliable and even with 143,000 miles on it I know I can still count on my Matrix!

MY MATRIX ON THE RUN

chess, 03/26/2005

The Matrix 4wheel drive handles the road well in all types of weather. I take it everywere, i've put 11,000 miles on it in only 6 months. Long drives are mostly pain free and there's plenty of room for 4 adults and luggage. I get 30 miles to the gallon on an average. It's a fun car to drive.

Reliability NOT GOOD ENOUGH

Larry, 08/09/2006

This is the most underpowered vehicle on the planet. We have the XR 4WD, why didn't it come with the S motor? It is dangerously slow! We get passed by semis on the hi-way all the time. The Toyota auto-power locks are terrible, everytime you want to get into a door, it locks itself. And you cannot manually turn off the headlights, this is very annoying if you are approaching someone's place late at night it is like a plane landing. Why does the window lock disable the driver's controls?? Poor interior lighting control. Overall a BIG disappointment. Poor interior colors, shows all the fuzz and dirt, poor tire wear, poor disc brakes.

Not What I Expected

Dissapointed, 12/28/2006

This vehicle replaced a 2005 Toyota Corolla, The Corolla was nearly a perfect vehicle. The Matrix isn't even close to the quality or integrity of the Corolla. The interior plastic is of very poor quality and appearance. The gas mileage as far, far less than the Corolla. It's hard to believe the Matrix is a Toyota. I am not at all pleased with the Matrix. This vehicle has caused me to substantially lower my opinion of Toyota.

Great Little Car

Morgan, 08/18/2009

I Bought my Matrix as a replacement for my 99 Tacoma which Toyota bought back for 150% of its worth due to warranty. The car was paid for in cash. Was my first non truck it had plenty of space and good power as long as you don't go up any steep hills. My only 2 probs were that the car would sometimes crank for 30-40 seconds before starting to solve the problem the dealership replaced the fuel pump and it worked for about a month and started doing it again. and when it was totaled a year later I got $5000 less than I paid for it the year before.

Better than an SUV!

Nancy, 05/18/2005

Great compromise car for those of us who need a roomy interior & 4 wheel drive but don't want the size of a gas guzzling SUV.

2005 Matrix

KeyFrameGirl, 06/26/2004

It's a fun sporty car that has plenty of room. It makes carpooling a joy. It handles corners extremely well and is a bit more zippy than the 2004 model. With the 17 inch rims and tinting it's over comes it's "soccer mom" association and becomes a slick sporty car!

It's Great

Bill, 04/06/2005

This car is nearly perfect from the standpoint of build quality and fit and finish. I have not found a single flaw in it.Power and performance is more than adequate, and ride is certainly good for a car of this size.

Toyota Quality?

Keith, 09/15/2006

Issues: 1)Noisey front end. Dealer says it's the tires (Continentals) and won't do anything about it. 2)Needed a serpentine belt at 12,500 miles. Why? 3)You have to sit on the passenger seat to move it. 4)Auto locks will automatically relock 30 seconds after you hit the button. 5)Driver side window broke at 11,000. Took the dealer 2 trys to fix it. 6)Auto Transmission is "iffy" coming down hills. 7)Rear windshield wiper is noisey even if it's new. (And a new one costs 20 bucks) 8)Spoilers are too low to the ground. Every matrix XR I have seen in parking lots have theirs broked right in front of rear wheels (they bottom out over speed bumps.)

The Matrix

csmatrix, 10/09/2006

I have had my Matrix for almost 2 years and so far it has been a great car but not without faults. The car is a tad underpowered and not as trouble free as I would expect from Toyota but its not bad either. And the suspension needs some improvement because it is very bouncy over bumps, but it handles very well. The interior is the Matrix best feature by far.

XRS-2ZZ-GE

Guy Hence, 10/01/2007

The Yamaha built engine in this car is terrific! Same as the expensive Lotus Elise and Exige! The XRS handles well and gets good mileage. Service is simple and low cost. This is a great car that's well built.

The Best of Toyota

Z-MAN, 10/27/2005

This car is worth every penny... and that isn't much to pay. The quality of Toyota is everywhere within this car. The gas mileage is great, it looks great, and performs the same way with the Toyota dependability. It is roomy enough for family travel, great leg room! Load it up and go. Whether you're going around town or on a long trip, you cannot go wrong with this vehicle. I now know what my next vehicle is going to be!

What happened to Toyota?

Jeri F., 10/20/2009

I ordered my Toyota Matrix with a 5speed manual trans. I have always driven manual and wanted to continue. My car is 4 years old and I'm installing a new clutch! My last Toyota Corolla was 15 years old and no clutch. I also had to replace the tires at about 15K miles. I had a little Chevy S10 p/u with manual trans and it was great except I wanted more interior. It was 5 years and I didn't have to replace anything. What has happened to Toyotas? I'm so disappointed.

2005 Toyota Matrix

mark_texas_usa, 01/18/2009

I bought 2005 Matrix in July 2005. Battery failed after 20K miles, dealer replaced on warranty. Interior plastic features delaminating if grabbed by hands. Tires (terrible continental) replaced after 15K miles. Cruise control failed after 17K miles. Mileage is not meeting specs criteria? Vehicle garaged, currently Jan 09 24K miles. Summary: very poor quality vehicle. I had 1999 Ford F150 pick-up never a problem. In 10 yrs not even light bulb failed @150.

Excellent for the Price

PP, 05/06/2004

The Matrix fits my needs perfectly. I wanted a car smaller than an SUV and good on gas. An addition, a spacious car that allows me to put the seats down in the back. I have a C230 Benz and I drive the Matrix more than the Benz.

Toyota is resting on its reputation.

Chris, 01/22/2007

Very disappointed in this vehicle. We bought Toyota because of legendary reliability, but have lost 2 hubcaps due to cracking and the interior has fallen apart. Excessive road noise, uncomfortable seating position, and lousy ride and fuel mileage has made this the last Toyota we will ever buy. Also, this car made for idiots will not let you turn off the lights.

Toyota has started to fall

Stan, 05/25/2009

I bought a Toyota after having Jeeps, Fords, and Chevy's and I thought I could buy a car that would last 200,000 miles. I was wrong. I am very unhappy with this car and I probably won't buy another Toyota. I will go back to Ford or Chevy. What is wrong: - Constant Chirp, Chirp under the hood. (The belt and tensioner have been fixed and or replaced 4 times.) I only have 71,000 miles on the car. - Drivers door won't unlock without key. - Tires had to be replaced at 15,000 miles. - Fan motor replaced at 45,000 miles as it would not work all the time. I never had a problem with my 1991 Ford Explorer or my 2002 Ford Explorer or my Chevy Pickup (S10). No more Toyota's at my house.

51050