Used 1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Land Cruiser model:

Best Used SUV
By Richard

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

Rock solid build quality with no rattles or squeaks after 235,000 miles. The only major maintenance was replacing the radiator at 215,000. Other than that, just the routine 30,000 mile maintenance stuff. Expensive to buy, but inexpensive to operate. The Land Cruiser is a go anywhere vehicle whether it's to the opera or a camping trip. I get 16/17 mpg while traveling in complete comfort. Running high end Michelin tires and have 85,000 miles on them so far. Looks like they will go at least 100,000 before getting to the wear marks. I have no intention of selling this Land Cruiser until it wears out and that does not look to be anytime soon.

Reliability and quality of ride.

Better Cup holder.

Strict Outdoorsman
By jas

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

How do I say, "I AM GLAD I DID". I did my research and made my purchase. If you enjoy getting into those hard to reach places where only few can travel; This is definitely the vehicle for you. Everything the write up's say are only speaking from the tip of the ice berg. I have traveled from my home in the highland deserts of SoCal, to the even higher lands above Estes Park Colorado, which was in the 11,000 ft above sea level range. I presently live in North Western Louisiana. Believe me when I say that my Cruiser has been there. It presently has just over 300,000 miles on it and runs like new. Thank You Toyota.

All features are great.

Mileage would be my only alteration.

Worth every single penny--and then some
By Worth every penny

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

If you're looking for an excellent SUV, this is it. After 12 great years of ownership, we put 234,000 miles on it before our daughter recently crashed it. She and her passenger hit a utility pole and the pole was shredded wheat. The girls were fine; no injuries, bumps or bruises. Unfortunately, it totaled the vehicle, but at least they were safe. The Land Cruiser has been called a "bank vault on wheels" because of it's safety and it's true. It is pricey, but it is worth every single penny. We will soon be upgrading to a used Lexus 470LX version and expect the same satisfaction since the Land Cruiser and the 470 are the same vehicle. The Lexus just has more bells and whistles.

Reliability; safety; excellent performance; easy to park; turning radius is unbelievably excellent (especially considering the size); looks formidable in a cool sort of way; third row seating ample for even an adult

Fuel economy is LOW, but if you're able to afford to buy this vehicle, you certainly should be able to afford the gas; not much room in the second row if you're tall and/or leggy.

Gas hog, but so what!
By Phil

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 40th Anniversary Limited 4dr SUV 4WD

What a pleasure it is to own this vehicle. We unloaded a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same mileage to get our hand on this vehicle. It ended up costing us $4500 to do the deal, but I am so glad we did it. The Jeep, which was bought from a trusted friend and was taken care of, broke down and needed maintenance continually. The Land Cruiser, well, I changed a spark plug once. Can't blame Toyota for that. 210k miles as runs great! If this car ever dies then I will consider getting a newer 1998 model. I am not concerned about the gas mileage. No car payment plus the fact that this car is never in the shop more than makes up for the extra money at the gas pump.

Leather seats, smooth ride, wife is not embarrassed to be riding in ugly vehicle, room for stuff, split tailgate is convenient, very reliable, quiet.

Gold trim, leans a bit on the corners, a bit sluggish on start, but if you punch it the car will go especially when passing

Bring back the 97 model
By xsanguinator

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser SUV 4dr SUV 4WD

My wife prefers the 97 Landcruiser over her RX 330. It's a good looking, reliable, vehicle with unmatched offroad features. With only 44K miles on it, I plan on driving it for a long time. I also have an 88 4x4 Tacoma (212K mile), 94 4Runner (188K).

Rugged looks, comfort, reliability. Good paint job.

No cupholders, mileage.