Used 2018 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

Used Highlander for Sale
Select your model:
12345...25

Pros
Cons

Great, but lots of road noise on some highway surf

John A., 03/21/2018
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

I bought the 2018 Highlander due to the many standard features, great reviews, and lastly price comparison. No matter what the price, if you don't buy what you like, you'll never like it, so why cheap out. There are many great features in the highlander, nice interior, power, safety features. My previous vehicle was a 2010 explorer and I found it nearly overwhelming to test drive and compare all this new stuff on different vehicles. It’s a lot to consume in a relatively short test drive; it takes days to get to know a vehicle. I settled on the Highlander, considered Jeep, Kia and more. Other reviews pointed out there are many things that beep at you. Yes, but all are expected, seat belts beep if you take it off, lane departure alert beeps, if you have it turned on and change lanes without signaling. Also the lane Alert button is a "sticky button" and does not reset each time vehicle is started, so I only turn it on when I want it for long highway drives. Love the adaptive cruise, makes CC useable. Love the collision alert, have heard the beep and actual braking once when going into a turn a bit too fast (distracted by all the new stuff), it detected the trees on the outside of the turn and braked just enough to slow you down a bit and alert the driver. So I think this was an appropriate response. Obviously there’s a lot more to these systems that I am yet to experience. Lane departure will nudge the wheel in the right direction, but ultimately the driver is in control and the nudge I deem appropriate. I like everything about the new Highlander (including auto headlights, lots of driver legroom, good GPS, great looks, plenty of power, smooth ride, quiet around city, and more) except, the LOAD road noise on some highway surfaces. Need to determine if the Toyo tires are the cause or what I can do about it. I spent 8 hours in it this weekend on Highways and hated the road noise as 91N and 89 through VT seemed entirely like rough surface that produces too much road noise. The road noise changes dramatically with the road surface and I have not noticed/experienced this with previous vehicles including the2010 Ford Explorer I drove 142k with various tires. Also, the JBL speakers are not good. I have a good ear for music and no level of adjustment could make it sound good. The front speakers bounce off the windshield and the whole system is tuned too much for base. I turned base way down but still not good. I never tried the stereo during test drives , assuming it would be good enough and didn’t want to blast the sales person or spend the long time it takes to check all these things, stereo was lower on the list. I was wrong. I would like to hear other reviews/comment on road noise and sound system. The styling of the Highlander is also great, and I like the interior over all. Driver’s seat is VERY comfortable for me and adjusts many ways. Overall I like the Highlander a lot, but the road noise is a big issue for me, and if reduced would help the sound system. With only 2150 Miles, I’ve gotten to know it but will update this review and I hope it helps someone.

Been Away, But I've Returned to a Highlander

Cornelius C., 02/23/2018
Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

I had an '08 Highlander Sport for 5 years, then thought it was too big for just myself. I owned two AWD wagons for a while; they are great cars, but I missed the quiet, powerful ride of the Highlander. My local dealer was offering great incentives, so I went shopping. The '18 Highlanders have retained what I had loved in my '08, and naturally, improved on them as well. Now I can ride interstates and large highways for hours at 65-70 and hear my own radio, and not get fatigued. I'm back, and it's great! The XLE trim is the lowest you should go, but get the Limited if you can. The Highlander rides large, but it's quiet and powerful. It does not accelerate in a punchy manner, but you'll be going 55, thinking you're going 35. It's that smooth. Nice interior! Gone are buttons: it's all touch now. Wow. Exclusively, the Highlander has a shelf underneath the dash: once you've seen it, you're spoiled forever. Nice ambient, blue lighting. Great stereo in the upgrade to JBL's many speakers: you can hear the radio at low volumes! Do you know how much that means to me? Wonderful!

Traded my lemon/Chev for my 7th Toyota (Highlander

Happy!!, 05/25/2018
Limited Platinum 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

My review is going to be short and sweet. We had a Chevrolet Avalanche with only 39,000 miles ...total LEMON! GM was horrible and so was the local Chevrolet dealership!! Since I had previously owned six Toyotas, including a Land Cruiser, I decided to go back to reliability. I have the 2018 Platinum Limited Highlander and I love it! All the reviews here are spot-on. It is awesome in every way. I can't believe how smooth this car is! It is going to be my FOREVER car. It was a very difficult decision because there are so many choices, but now that I've had this car for over a month, I absolutely love it in every way and I am convinced that this was the right pick. The moonroof is awesome! The style is awesome! The comfort is awesome! The features are hard to believe! My ONLY negative is the automatic stop and start feature. I'm having to get used to that and honestly, I wish I could permanently turn it off. I think it gives me such bad memories of my Chevrolet Avalanche stalling. I have to constantly remind myself that this is a TOYOTA! It is so good to be back in a Toyota!

Toyota Highlander is Tops

LR Moran, 04/16/2018
Limited Platinum 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

Before buying a car, especially in this price range, a little research goes a long way. My choice was between the Toyota Highlander and the Honda Pilot, both top of the line models. The Pilot had an edge because I already own one. After test driving both vehicles at least a couple of times, I found that the safety features on the Toyota Highlander were better than those on the Honda Pilot. With the Pilot, I found that I had to purchase features such as a video system in order to get the lane shift feature I really wanted. I love the Highlander, which surprised me since I've really enjoyed my 2012 Pilot. The Highlander rides like a luxury vehicle. In comparing both 2018 models, the Highlander was a more luxurious, comfortable, feature laden car.

Does everything for $10K-$15K less than MDX and Q7

Bob, 12/12/2017
Limited Platinum 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 8A)

I was looking at the mid-size SUVs with AWD and cargo space. The Cadillac XT5 and Q5 were just a bit too tight in back seat (2nd row) for me. I found the 3 best were Acura MDX, Audi Q7 and Toyota Highlander. After test driving, the MDX and Q7 are sportier but the Highlander did everything very well. The Q7 had buttons in unusual places (at least for me) and the MDX had push button transmission and 2 screens for changing settings that took a few touches to change heat settings. Coming from a Lexus, I knew Toyota built a great car but the front seat is very comfortable, has all the safety equipment and is very easy to see out of, I chose to save $15K and buy the Toyota. Reliability, gas economy, resale and initial cost are all better with Toyota and I'll have alot less problems down the road.

12345...25